I want the entire game to be in realtime, never not in battle. I want combatants to act like items as well. So if the player has enough strength to lift an item, the player can weild it even if that item is another combatant.(combatant can escape your grasp based on stats) I want the Items to have status values, so you could throw an apple and its damage is already there in its stats as well as how easily it is to drop when used as a weapon. I understand how to do most of this, and can learn the rest, so my question is a matter of opinion/expertise.
Since there is a Combatant section of the framework, and an Items section, which way is the optimal way to go about this and the way that would cause less strain on any system requirements for the player?
  • For further clarification: should I try to make em all items, all combatants, or should i just doctor up the items to act like combatants, and viceversa? Should I make an item and combatant of each entity and have them swap out based on use?
  • Hm, if it's just about picking stuff up (physically) and hitting/throwing it to do damage, that could be doable via regular battle actions, having damage dealers on the items/combatants, which e.g. use object variables on them for the damage calculation.

If it's about actually equipping a combatant as a weapon, that's not possible, as combatants are combatants, not weapons.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I believe I see that weapons and equipment have their own attack and defense attributes, but not their own status values. Items on the other hand have their own attack and defense attributes as well as their own status values. If weapons had status values, not just bonuses, I'd already be onto the next step. My first thought is to abandon weapons entirely and just make events to allow player to just wield any item as if it were a weapon. Or maybe I need to look more into using variables...?

I have no intention of letting players wear each other like a jacket, so equipments work fine as they are.
  • I wanted it so that every item in the game has ai and status values. For example: every tree is moving towards you all the time except that they have 0 speed. But someone could 'animate trees' and then the trees seem to come alive. Or an apple sitting on the table has its own hunger and thirst and decay rate, and again, could be animated. I wanted every piece of wood that you would use as building material to also have its own skills and (thanks to ork for the idea) its own faction. So while its not really just about using a combatant as an item, That seems to be my only hurdle in the 2 monthes I've been diving into Ork.
  • Well, you could just make everything a combatant ... and an item/equipment.

E.g. using an Add Combatant component on the item/equipment prefabs to add a combatant to them. You'd still have to set up the stuff as in a regular ORK setup, so an equipment would be set up like an equipment, while the combatant aspect of it would be set up in the combatant you attach to it.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you Sooooo very much. This opens up every possibility I could ever imagine needing. Totally worth the money. I'm having more fun making the game than anyone could ever have playing any game that ever existed. Thanks ORK.