Hi GIL,

When using some abilities i want some temporary cell events to occur.

For example in this screenshot, the goal is to add 'fire' event to the cell. However im not sure how i can select the proper target(s).
https://imgur.com/a/YXKEK6t

When an AOE spell is used, all cells need to be given the new temporary event.

How can i select these cells?

Thanks in advance!
  • If it's just the selected cell (or cells of the targeted combatants), the Target actor is enough.

For an AOE, you need to use a Store Grid Cells node, which allows you to store cells (e.g. based on a battle range template) into found objects - afterwards you can use the found objects in the temporary cell nodes via the Found Objects object type.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I tried this but I seem to be doing something wrong.

There is an event for the spell, this calls en event to make the cells have the "fire" event.

https://imgur.com/a/qV80rEg

I added another imgur, here u can see the Store Grid Cell node in use.

Second shows how the "fire" event gets called, making sure Share Found Objects is on.

The third is a screenshot of the current event.

Note that i added a temporary node just to test. This node is set on the user cell. But this also does not work. Any ideas why?

last screenshot is the temporary cell to add the "fire" event with the correct status effect.

I assume i forget something? When inspecting the cells in the scene battle grid after spell cast, there is no status effect being applied, nor does it show cell events in the inspector.

Overall im not really sure what is missing, probably doing something stupid :3
  • Looks correct - though I'd also need to see the event that actually stores the grid cells and calls the other battle event :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Sure, here is the event.

Store grid cells happens first
    Second node is to make the 2D sprite face the target.
    Third is execute a function for animations
    wait is well, wait :)
    calculate damage node
    and last one is the event i described earlier that gets called.

https://imgur.com/a/SlFskPw

As a little extra i added the range template that i use, maybe i did something wrong there. Its just a single target ranged attack, and also works in combat.

Also added the event settings (tho they are standard)

Any other specific thing u want?
  • Hm, looks ok ... I'll do some tests.
    This is for a none target ability, i.e. selecting a cell instead of a combatant, right?
  • It is for a targeted ability. There needs to be a combatant at the cell.

https://imgur.com/a/cG2gsEQ

You can see the target settings here.
  • Did a simplified test:
    - stored grid cells around the target into found objects
    - called another battle event (enabled sharing all stuff)
    - other battle event adds a temporary cell event to the stored cells (found objects)

Works fine here :)

I guess I'll need a small Unity test project with your setup where it occurs. E.g. strip it down (deleting the Library folder from the project folder greatly decreases the size), upload it on dropbox (or something else) and send me the link to contact@orkframework.com.