edited January 2022 in Announcements
Update (January 27, 2022): RC 1 is now available, official release scheduled for January 31, 2022!
Check out the ORK 3 BETA page for details.

-----------------------------

Yeah, it's finally here!

As you probably know by now, ORK 3 is an extension for Makinom 2, taking advantage of all the quality of life and performance features that came with it. ORK's settings are now integrated in the Makinom editor.
The overall ORK workflow is still the same, though, i.e. you don't have to panic and think you have to learn 2 different products now, you can still go about using ORK without worrying about anything - you can even start with the good old game tutorials to get into ORK 3 (some settings have been moved around, though).

This only the first BETA, it's pretty stable already and most of the features should already be working as they where in ORK 2.
Check out the ORK 3 BETA page for details. There's also a long list of changes (moved sub-sections, etc.).

For now I'd like to leave it at that and let you just discover what ORK 3 has in store for you :)
Also, don't forget to give feedback, either here or via email!

Edit: Alright, started writing some basic documentation for ORK 3. For now just a few things for getting started, an overview over the different editor sections and informations on using the new UI system.

Edit: The ORK 3 guide keeps constantly getting updated. The UI documentation on HUDs is complete (for now). A first UI tutorial for setting up a simple player HUD is also available.

Status System Setup Tutorial Series

A first long and detailed tutorial series is available - learn how to set up a status system from scratch.
This status system will be the basis for multiple upcoming tutorial series.

3D RPG Playground Tutorial Series

Create a 3D RPG in this tutorial series, using the status system setup tutorial series as it's basis. Uses Turn Based or Active Time battles (or both).
The series is still ongoing!

3D Action RPG Tutorial Series

Create a 3D Action RPG in this tutorial series!
It only focuses on setting up a real time battle system for action combat with a few enemies and abilities.
The series is still ongoing.
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited June 2021
    Just installed it to a new project to have a look around. One thing that I noticed immediately is that the Editor menus are a bit difficult to read when using the Dark editor theme, with black text on a dark grey background:

Post edited by Keldryn on
  • Ha, I must have checked too early this morning to miss this release. So I've taken a quick look around and it seems I'll need to do quite a bit of testing to get familiar with the new menu work flow. Besides what Keldryn pointed out, the fold out menu seems to fold off screen if it becomes too long.
    Maybe have it fold out vertically if it gets too close to the bottom of the screen? Additionally, it could have a fixed size with a scroll bar if the content seems to be larger than the screen.
  • @Keldryn
    Good catch, will be changed in the next beta.

@Dre788
    Huh, that's strange, it should open to the top when being close to the bottom of the screen. Can you give me some details? E.g. window placement, are you using a 2nd monitor (and is that on 1st or 2nd monitor), etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @gamingislove
    Okay, the previous image is from 2019.4 LTS. I've now tested it in 2020.3 LTS and this is what I get.
    It still opens under the task bar a bit at the bottom but most of it is visible. These are both fresh installs with nothing else on them. Single monitor active (I have two) and the window is full screen.

I went a head and tested both the LTS with both monitors active and the results were the same. Are you getting different results? Is there just something wrong on my end somewhere?
  • edited June 2021
    Seems to only happen if the window isn't maximized or it is docked.

If I maximize the Makinom window:

if I don't / it is docked:

Edit: Took me forever, but think I got images working now.
    Post edited by Acissathar on
  • edited June 2021
    Ahh, I figured out what's wrong thanks to Acissathar examples. I use a 4k screen but I upscale the layout in display settings to 150%. This causes the fold out menu to malfunction like in all my screen shots before. Once I put the layout to 100% in the windows Display setting, it's works as intended for both 2019.4 and 2020.3.

Edit: Just to confirm, the main menu is still incomplete right? I can't find any way to display combatant information like stats values with it so I figured it's still in development.
    Post edited by Dre788 on
  • Small thing, misspelling of "the" in the music Keep Looping tool tip :)

• Dre788 said: Ahh, I figured out what's wrong thanks to Acissathar examples. I use a 4k screen but I upscale the layout in display settings to 150%. This causes the fold out menu to malfunction like in all my screen shots before. Once I put the layout to 100% in the windows Display setting, it's works as intended for both 2019.4 and 2020.3.
    I've noticed the display scaling above 100% can really break the layout of the custom editor UI in some assets. Never really figured out why. When I hook up my laptop to a monitor, I usually extend the desktop and use the laptop as a secondary screen. It's only a 15" panel, so I need to bump it up to 125% or 150% to be able to read the text comfortably. So I see messed up editor UIs not infrequently.
  • edited June 2021
    Testing new ORK3 Beta. New Schematic system is <3 Very easy and straight forward.
    Post edited by Malith on
  • edited July 2021
    @Dre788 @Acissathar
    Thanks for the details, I'll investigate and fix it in the next beta :)

Edit: Finally found how to determine Unity's editor UI scaling via code - the issue will be fixed in the next beta (or when Makinom 2.1 is officially out, since this is on Makinom's side).
    Popups will also no longer open to the bottom when being too close to the bottom of the screen to avoid the taskbar from blocking it.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • @gamingislove Great news and congratulations for the first release.
    Any info about the Ork2 to Ork3 project conversion process?
  • @Dre788
    Forgot to answer regarding the menus - the old menu screen system is still ready to use and should work fine. There are plans for a new menu system, but that's not yet in there (or even started).
    Displaying combatant stats is done like it was in ORK 2, i.e. via a Combatant menu part. However, there are no longer HUD elements you can add to it directly, just the option to add a HUD to it (i.e. use it as a template).

Due to the UI system changes, the HUDs are now set up via the scene view, creating prefabs that are used. Alternatively, you can also use a button prefab with HUD components attached to it, as long as it has a HUD Content Provider component that's referenced by the button's content components. You still have to enable to use a HUD in the menu part, but select the None HUD instead.
    I'll do some documentation on the new UI system usage soon(ish).

@Vlastan
    No - this is just the first beta version, there are still a lot of changes in the coming months before official release in fall/winter 2021. I'll get to the upgrade tool around release.
  • I thought I'd follow along with the ORK2 game tutorial just to get a feel for the systems, and for the most part it's been relatively smooth sailing. The only issue I just cannot figure out, is why my player rotates 90 when running back to their base position and then the flow of turns breaks so I'm not sure if maybe there's a "bug" or I'm just missing something.

The battle spot is not rotated (0,0,0 same with parent object), and my return to base event is relatively straight forward:

Gif:

Ability animation settings:

Change Position settings:

Schematic settings to get user base:

• Most likely due to using Face Direction during movement.
    Enable X and Z to only rotate on the Y-axis (i.e. horizontally in 3D games).