Hi,
Currently i have my fire ability's name set as "Fire %".
I'd like to replace "Fire 2" by "Fire +"; and "Fire 3" by "Fire S". How can i do that ?

Also, is there a way to have a branch in the level up of an ability ?

e.g.:
Fire ---> Fire 2 ---> Purple Fire
........................---> Black Fire ---> Black Fire 2

I think "Purple Fire" & "Black Fire" should be separate abilities but then how can i make so when i learn one of them in the ability tree menu, "Fire 2" gets replaced by it ?
  • How do you learn the abilities?

There'd be 2 options:

1) Change the name of the ability via the event system.
    E.g. using the Add Game Event of the ability's level to change the name. The ability is available as selected data via the key action, which allows to change it's name using a Change Selected Data Name node.

2) Have each level as it's own ability with the name you want.
    You can use the event system to replace the previous ability - either using the Add Game Event (like in option #1) or if you e.g. learn new abilities via events anyway, directly in that event.

There's also the option of using research trees instead of ability trees - they basically do the same thing but offer more variety (that's why ability trees will be gone in ORK 3). E.g. learning an ability via a research tree can also use an event and remove the previous ability that way (or rename it via selected data).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • You learn an ability by using skill points in the ability tree.

1) Ok thanks. That'd be cool if you could just overwrite the name like with the skill's description though.

Research Tree seemed to me more complex to set up that's why i went with abilities tree.
    But i'm gonna give it a try once more.

Thanks Gil.

ps : Talking about ork3, is there a release date scheduled ?
  • I'm trying to set up the Flying Text of a 'Poison' Status Effect .
    Right now when the poison kicks in i have the basic damage Flying Text that show the dmg done above the character.
    How can i make it so there is a poison icon next to the flying text ?

My guess is i should make a Game Event with nodes like 'Show Flying Text' and 'Show Image' and then uses it in Status Value > HP > Change Game Events > From Status Effect.

Is that the correct way or am i wrong ?
  • ORK 3 will release within the next 2-3 month - it's pretty much release ready, but I'm writing documentation and tutorials before release.

Flying texts only support texts, not images, so if you want to show an image, that'd be handled via events and the Show Image node. You can also use it in move events used by flying texts.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • "ORK 3 will release within the next 2-3 month" => Awesome, can't wait for it !

I'm stuck.
    I have 2 status effect that makes damage over turn. How can i make so they each have their own flying text color ?
    In fine i'd like to have their own icon spawn along with their flying text.
  • Status effects can override the default flying text - you can set them up for each effect that should use a different style/color.
  • Yes but it only applies the first time you apply the status effect.

i'll try to explain better.
    In a turn-based game like any old jrpg or pkmon.
    A character have multiply status effect on him (dots : poison, bleed, burn,...).
    At the start of his turn, 3 flyings texts pops above his head (-20, -40, -60).
    How can i make it so the player knows -20=poison / -40=bleed / -60=fire ?

Also i think this is an error found in Status > Status Effects > Flying Texts
    I'm using Ork 2.30.2
    https://ibb.co/KmcGhTd
  • Well, those flying texts are managed by the status value they damage.
    You can add content information to the flying texts of the status values, e.g. use %sn to add the short name of the source (i.e. status effect in that case) and put the text color changes via text codes into the status effect's short name.

Not really an error - flying texts use the % text code to show what they're actually displaying, e.g. the damage number. For adding status effects, that's the name of the effect (since there's no damage value). Additionally, there are other text codes to add content information like the name, etc.
  • You mean like this ?
    https://ibb.co/tP0C9sy
    Because it shows the short name of the status value (HP) and not the short name of the status effect.
  • Ah, sorry, my bad - for status values that's the status value's content information. It'd be the status effect for the status effect flying texts (e.g. add/remove flying texts).

However, you can use attack attributes for your status effect's status changes - and attack attributes can change the text color of damage/refresh flying texts.
  • "However, you can use attack attributes for your status effect's status changes - and attack attributes can change the text color of damage/refresh flying texts" => Thanks that worked. Sad i can't set a own flying text for attributes.

When an enemy dies from a dot (status effect) on start turn, the game gets stuck indefinitely.
    It's not a freeze since i can press 'i' to show a Menu.
    I can't seem to figure why...
  • Can you give me more details on your battle system?
    E.g. which battle system type are you using, how's it set up, etc.
  • Im' using active time battle without battle grid.
    I don't really know what to say about it that could be relevant. It's my first ork project that i built upon the tutorial.
    For now i evaded the issue by having all dots applies on turn end.
  • edited November 2021
    Hm, did a quick test and it's working fine here - both with multiple and a single enemy.

Can you give me more details on your setup in Battle System > Active Time Battles?
    Mainly if you're using dynamic combat and the options (death immediately, end immediately, etc.).
    Post edited by gamingislove on