• I tried triggering two auto start event at the same time on a single game object and it work, so yep you can.
  • edited January 2015
    Thanks! : )
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • If both events are Blocking Events it wont work :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Is there a way to change the direction the player faces when he spawns in some scenes? Sometimes I spawn facing a wall instead of straight ahead. Thanks.
  • That is really simple. On the spawn point, enable the Use Y Position, and go to it's Rotation transform and just change the Y Rotation to whichever way you want to face.
  • Holy Guacamole! Works perfectly. Thanks once again! : )
  • edited January 2015
    If you give the player a choice to set their name and they choose it.

Can you then use #combatant.nameX# in a dialogue to have that name show up in dialogue?

F.e. NPC says Hi, Cat, it's good to see you again. etc. : )

EDIT: I wasn't at my computer when someone asked me if I could use a macro like that for the player's or party member's name in the dialogues.

But I tried it just now and it does work for a combatant whose name is not changeable. But for me, Cat, who set her name when asked to enter her name in the intro, when a party member talks to me in a dialogue or an npc talks to me, it shows up Hey, Hero and not hey, Cat. Hero is the canned name for my hero but you can set your name. The macro doesn't recognize that the name has been changed.

Any possibility of doing this? Thanks. It really would personalize the game for the player. I'd post this in feature requests but don't want to clutter.

And maybe there's a way to do it that I don't know. : )
  • Adding the player as an actor to an event allows you to use actor text codes. I think #actor.nameX# - but you can use the usual text editor buttons for that :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2015
    That doesn't solve the problem though! At the beginning of the game the player can type in their choice for the Hero's name. I'm Cat , no surprise but I imagine Firrerreo would type in Firrerreo.

Then when we Attack monsters, I would see the text Cat attacks. She would see the text Firrerreo attacks

But using either of those macros in dialogue you just see the stock name for the Hero nit the names we typed in.

So Root whispers in my ear. Hero, blah, blah when it should show up as Cat, blah, blah.

The typed in name doesn't feed into the macros.

Hope am clearer as this really would add a nice touch to a game if nods call you by your chosen name not Hero.
  • Just tested and it worked on my end - e.g. #actor.name1# will display the name of actor 1, if it's a combatant, it'll display the correct (changed) name, unless you define a name in the actor's settings.
  • Does the player get to choose his name before you add the combatant to the active group? That could be where your issue is cropping up ( I ran into something similar).

For my game which does the same thing, I store the selected name in a variable during the selection scene. Then in the first game scene once I added the player to the active group, I used the Set Combatant Name event node to use that stored variable name and actually change the name permanently. The #combatant.name macros should work after that.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • Using the combatant name text code wont work, because that get's the name that is defined in the settings. The changed name can only be used with the actor text codes.
  • @gaminguslove---I think my problem is just that---that I put Hero in the name in the actor setting not realizing it would reset the name---thanks very much I'll try it again tonight.

@Firrerreo--just so I can learn a little bit of coding and how using a variable that way works could you tell me how you store the combatant name in a variable and how you use that stored variable in the Set Combatant Name event? Thanks very much for any help.
  • Ok, here's my ganky set up.

This is the main event file that grabs the player's input to rename their guy. First you set up the global variable with the Change Variable step (stored into the value playerName) and give it a default value, in my case "Kris".

Then I show a dialogue that displays the current value of that variable and a couple of choices for the player on how they may want to rename it before starting the game. They can input their own name (the Value Input Node), cycle through a random one (that Function call), or restore the default. Or just lastly start the game with the current selection.

For the Value Input Node , add a Value Input and set the Variable Key Value to playerName.

Then in my first scene where the game actually stats, I have this thing:

After having the player combatant join the group (and locking him cause i don't want to deal with edge cases) I use the set combatant node with the value type "game variable" and value playerName. That'll let it show up right in menus and stuff that reference the Player actor.

You can just use the variable itself for a lot of simple calls if you want it inline in dialogues or logs with #varstringplayerName#. I mistyped earlier with the #combatant macro. Sleep deprivation is a bitch.

My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com