edited December 2014 in General Discussion
I was wondering, which other extensions of Unity work well with ORK? I mean in a non-overlapping way, complementing those parts of ORK that are not fully fleshed out (terrain building, for example).
  • This was and still is my primary question, but there was no substantial answer forthcoming: "Some work, some won't work".
    As an ambitious RPG framework that caters to non-programmers, I would place working well with other extensions pretty high on my priority list. ;)
  • Indeed, that was a very useless answer you got!

let's try to reason... mm. Out would be all that deal with game mechanics. ORK should take care of all of them.

In could be those related to world building, maybe. Or weather.
    Asset-related could work too. But I'm away from my Unity PC until the 8th, can someone make some tests?
  • Indeed, that was a very useless answer you got!
    No, no, let's stay friendly here. Ork is still the coolest framework in general.
    Yes, I will do up to 50 asset tests in the next days.
  • Since all of ORK is within its own namespace, it will never interfere with or break other utilities. Also, nothing will work out of the box together - you'll either have to use the event system to call functions or change fields/properties on components of other tools or write some custom code (or event steps) to do the job.

ORK Framework isn't a world building tool, it's mostly a RPG game mechanic framework and also includes bringing your stuff into the scene (items, events, battles, cut-scenes, etc.) - stuff like terrain building isn't part of ORK and never will be. There are other tools for that :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Since all of ORK is within its own namespace, it will never interfere with or break other utilities. Also, nothing will work out of the box together - you'll either have to use the event system to call functions or change fields/properties on components of other tools or write some custom code (or event steps) to do the job.

ORK Framework isn't a world building tool, it's mostly a RPG game mechanic framework and also includes bringing your stuff into the scene (items, events, battles, cut-scenes, etc.) - stuff like terrain building isn't part of ORK and never will be. There are other tools for that :)
    Exactly, this is what I wanted to ask, your input on the framework!
    Are there other utilities that you recommend, or that you've tested to make the demo and work?
    How'd you setup the extensions to ensure compatibility?
  • have you found any worldbuilding package that helped?
  • Dark_Ansem said: have you found any worldbuilding package that helped?
    If you're asking me, all the world-building assets are compatible with ORK, I think. I'm using these:
    BuildR,
    EasyRoads 3D
    Ferr Supercube,
    DunGen,
    Highway Construction Set,
    MegaShapes,
    MakeYourLevel,
    ProCore,
    ProTile,
    TerrainComposer,
    uDesign.

I guess it works with the super-popular WorldComposer too, but I don't have a need for that one.

Non-worldbuilding assets are a completely different thing though. For instance, ORK is incompatible with the awesome Inventory Pro, and both developers seem uninterested in supporting the other... ;)
  • that's a damn shame. it does look amazing.
  • Dark_Ansem said:
    that's a damn shame. it does look amazing.

I honestly considered switching to the tried-and-true Playmaker + Behavior Designer setup just to make my game seamlessly compatible with Inventory Pro and UFPS, but if you're going for a complex RPG, you can't beat ORK.
  • I know! it's just too convenient and complete, with a flow of updates.
  • edited October 2015
    @gamingislove--I actually know now what this means and how important it is--about namespaces--taking the time to learn a little bit more about C# coding--not that I need it to use ORK but because I like being able to understand things. : ) Curiosity of the Cat.

"Since all of ORK is within its own namespace, it will never interfere with or break other utilities."

That means more or less that the classes in other extensions are not going to clash with ORK's and cause you untold misery and error warnings. I think. : )

I've used ORK with just about every random dungeon creator that is out there. I've used it with just about every minimap extenstion that is out there. I'm going to try to use it with some ios specific extenstions when I get a chance soon. Busy with other things right now.

I don't see where it's lacking in any way. I never really needed it for more than the random dungeon creators and the minimap. ORK's navigator helps substitute for a minimap so my players are pretty happy with that.

But this is a useful thread. It works with the Love/Hate extension but haven't used Love/Hate with the latest version.

Keeping in mind that all these extensions always have to keep up with Unity's new versions and some of them don't always --some of the minimap extensions that worked with old versions of Unity and ORK haven't gotten caught up yet---because they haven't gotten caught up to the new versions of Unity.

but ORK always does. : )

Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Inventory pro does not work with ORK tho.
  • @Dark_Ansem thats cause inventory Pro isnt made to work with ork its its own asset for a inventory its a complete inventory system which is not needed with ork since ork has its own inventory
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • edited October 2015
    As a small reality check, why are we using extensions with ORK to make a game?

Because we want to get a game made and released on some platform.

And have any of us made a game with ORK that is released either on Steam or ios or android?

Yes.

Did those games always have special extensions?

No.

So.........maybe you don't always need the extensions you think you need to make a game that will get greenlit on Steam or otherwise be successful?

ORK can get you to getting your dream realized but this is still a good thread if you want to post about stuff you'd like to work with ORK but keep in mind you don't need that stuff to get your game on Steam or ios or android or just about anyplace else.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Catacomber said: ORK can get you to getting your dream realized
    What's with the sales pitch though?.. Let's get real here.
    ORK is a good choice if you wish to create a fairly complex 3rd person RPG within Unity, but it's just the foundation. If you want a marketable game, you still need to do the heavy lifting, either with loads of C# or loads of Unity assets. $1 games don't count as marketable games.

And we need a reality check regarding Steam Greenlight too: the quality of greenlit games has plummeted in the past 2 or so years, so it's no longer a yardstick.