I followed the camera tutorial over and over and it's not following my player. Won't even look at the player when he spawns

'Camera Controls

The built-in camera controls offer:

Follow
The camera follows the player.
This is the default control when creating a new project.
Look At
The camera looks at the player (without following).
Mouse
The camera follows the player, the position can be changed by mouse/touch input.
First Person
The camera is linked to the player, the looking axis can be changed.

We’ll use the Mouse controls, so change the following settings.

Type
Select Mouse.
Distance
Set to 10.
Height
Set to 15.
Minimum Height
Set to 5.
Maximum Height
Set to 30.
Height Damping
Set to 2.
Use Click
Enable this setting.
The camera can be changed using the mouse.
Mouse Button
Set to 1.
This is the right mouse button.
Mode
Select Move.
The camera position will be changed when the mouse is moved (while being pressed).
Allow Rotation
Enable this setting.
The camera can be rotated.
Start Rotation
Set to 0.
Rotation Damping
Set to 3.
Rotation Factor
Set to 1.
You can use negative values (e.g. -1) to invert the rotation.
Allow Zoom
Enable this setting.
The camera can zoom in and out (i.e. change the height).
Zoom Factor
Set to 1.
You can use negative values (e.g. -1) to invert the zoom.
Zoom Plus/Minus Key
Select None.
We’ll zoom only using the mouse.
Limit Change
Enable this setting.
The camera change is limited to either rotation or zoom, not both at once.

And that’s it – click on Save Settings and close the ORK Framework editor.'

......is there something additional I need to do that wasn't stated in the tutorial?
  • Is your scene's camera the main camera?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yes I'm using the main camera. I also tried using a secondary camera with the main Cam disabled but nothing works
  • edited March 2015
    Are you using your own player? Try it with Brown Pants in the demo and see if it works. Then substitute your own player. Your Player is tagged player and your Main Canera is tagged Main Camera?

Are you using any special scripts on your player?

In the editor under base/Controls/ Player Controls, did you check Use Camera Direction --Vertical Axis is Vertical and Horizontal axis is Horizontal and you set those keys up in Base/Control/Input Keys?
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Hey Catacomber,
    Yes I'm using my own player prefab. My player is tagged as 'player' and my camera is tagged as main cam as well.
    Right now I'm not using any special scripts on the player. I didn't check the last part with the Base/Control/Input Keys. I'm at work now (night shift) so I'll confirm tomorrow.

BTW, I know this has something to do with events but how to I disable the field cam/player controls to a battle type cam and player control just for battles. Also, for real time battles I don't want a battle zone. Can I just have a collider trigger on the AI so when I'm close to him we can do battle...wherever the AI is?
  • edited March 2015
    Edit: I imagine you can change the camera in your battle event. For real time that would be an event that starts a battle. I''m not sure about not using a battle zone or switching your player controls. I've never tried that.

Wait for Gil. :)
  • edited March 2015
    Ok thank you. When you substitute your prefab (seamlessley from field to battle mode I assume with no type of loading or cinematic or anything), are you able to swap out weapons during the battle event or whatever is on the swapped prefab all static? I would like to try that substitution if the player can still change the weapons and not just have to use whatever prefab is abailable with the 'hardcoded' weapons and armor. Know what I mean?

Gil...I'm waiting for your input ;-)

I prob have had the most questions the last week but that's only because I just bought the asset. Please bear with me; the sooner I clear up these initial things the quicker I can be more independent. Thanks to you and Catacomber for the help so far.
    Post edited by gimme on
  • And I have been really going over the tutorials hardcore, I even take chances at work so I can read whenever I can. :)
  • I imagine you can swap out weapons during the battle event. I've never tried it--can't you just give the weapon needed to the player or let him/her find it and equip it? : )
  • I guess I will have to let the player find it. My only concern was if they had already found the weapon while exploring the field and had it in their inventory already, they would want to use it whenever since each weapon would affect enemies differently. Plus I really want the player to feel like they have a choice in the game and for them to know that the battle outcome really depends on every choice they make, including whichever weapon they choose. This makes gameplay much more immersive, which is what I'm going for.

I will start off with what you suggested first, maybe I'll have it somewhere close by so they can go pick it up :) thanks!
  • The close by but hidden by something, f.e. a fake wall or just a fern (my usual trick) weapon needed to kill a certain monster can be very challenging and satisfying for players. : )

Gil will most likely answer your questions better than I can though. : )
  • Ok - are you spawning the player using ORK like explained in the tutorials? When using a game object already present in the scene, the built-in camera wont find it (and create lots of other problems).
    If that's not the problem, check if the camera controls are blocked - select the '_ORK' game object in the scene hierarchy in the running game should state that info in the inspector.

Regarding the control blocks and battles - there are settings for that in all different battle system types. Also, you can use the event system to add/remove components and add/remove them to the control block lists.
    And yes, you can add Real Time Battle Areas to your enemy prefabs to have the battle only be around them :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Great stuff; thanks Gil. I got the camera controls to work. I actually ended up buying a cam script and just plugged it into Ork :) Things are coming together nicely: Every penny spent on this framework has been worth it and I wish that I had bought it sooner. Thanks for clarifying the Real time battle area event. Thanks Catacomber for your help as well.
  • Sorry I forgot to answer your question Gil, yes I'm spawning the player according to the tutorials. All is well now. TTy guys soon, but not so soon hopefully as that will mean I have issues ; hoping as I got these initial thjings cleared I can move forward
  • edited March 2015
    So go make your skill bar, already. : ) You'll find ORK makes great games -- and Gil has the patience of a saint and an all-knowingness about ORK that is very comforting.
  • Even I'm sometimes amazed by what people are doing with ORK :D