edited April 2015 in ORK Support
I am trying to make an additions or aim ring system during turn-based combat. I can't seem to get this to happen and I am just wondering if anyone knows something I am missing or if it is just not possible. If it isn't, then I am off to general chat to ask for that feature. If it is not a feature in the framework I am hoping some clever person has discovered a way to do it! ;p

It should work similarly to how additions in Legend of Dragoon or the aim ring system of Lost Odyssey.
You will always fail at what you do not try.
  • edited April 2015
    Can you give a bit more details on what that is and how it should work?
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2015

http://legendofdragoon.wikia.com/wiki/Additions

The wiki is probably the best explanation.
    Post edited by robahouston on
  • Ok, that can already be done with the event system (e.g. in the battle events used for your attack). There are steps for button input, displaying images, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • How do I add an image that animates the timing reticle similar to in the video? I can't seem to find a way to do this. Would it be a sprite sheet, if so how would I adjust the timing to make each new addition attack unique?
    With later additions the outer square will close faster for one or two sections of a combo at different speeds so each addition is unique. The timing doesn't change each time the player attempts to execute the addition but that particular additional may have a 2,1,2,1,3 second combo, or Darts Volcano addition in the video for some reference.
  • Probably best to just spawn a sprite prefab and manipulate it as needed (e.g. rotating it).
  • Will that still allow for the player to only get an accurate press when the rotating square is aligned with the static square? I understand how I could animate it as a sprite and I already have something cooked up for that, however, the whole point of the system is to provide accuracy and when the player misses the box needs to flash red to tell them they didn't do it right.
    Would that be a formula? Something that could check UI bounds? Or maybe the rotating square could rapidly fade and the player only has a second before the system checks and fails them? Maybe a collision trigger on the outside of the sprite that triggers positive for the outer static square and back to negative when it collides with the inner square? Is any of that even correct or possible in ORK? Or am I completely over thinking this?
  • Interesting concept. ^^
    I didn't know this one, and maybe i am wrong, but do actions happen always with same time steps? If so, you could add a positive variable at the start of the attack that spawns an HUD, and then another variable that last the exact times needed to perform the action: when both variable are positive (let's say for 1 sec), you could make the HUD with requirement clickable (need to sort it out properly, maybe you could achieve miss also, i suppose you need another event in event...). Then after 1 second you clear second variable, and when attack finish you clear the first one, to make HUD disappear...
    I just streamed down some ideas but maybe you can find your way. :)
  • I will give that a shot. Thank you!
  • No need to go complex with checking sprite positions or something like that.

Since you define how long that takes, you'll know the time window the player's input is correct. Using float game variables that use the Game Time as values, you can check if the player press happened at the correct time. E.g. setting 2 variables to the game time + an offset to mark the start and end of the time window at the start of the sprite animation (or before the Wait for Input step). After the player input, check if the game time is between those values and you know if it was a success or not :)
  • Yeah, that sounds a lot less invasive than either of our ideas! Thank you!