edited July 2015 in ORK Support
I am slowly gaining insight to the workings of ORK, but I have a few questions that I will post in separate threads. The first question is about buildables.

Although my project is an rpg, it is not fantasy based more of an apocalyptic style game. Part of the game however, needs the player to be able to build items. For example, harvest wood to build a wall or floor and be able to place the item in the scene to be able to build a system of defenses. Is this doable in ORK. If not would this be something that can be added to the system?
Post edited by gamingislove on
Greed is not sustainable without elements of human suffering.
  • Harvesting wood is possible, see this gameplay tutorial for an example.

Building items out of it is possible using the crafting system - see the later game tutorials on that topic.

Placing them in the scene could be done using the event system. E.g. use a Raycast to Variable step to let the player click somewhere (and store the position he clicked into a Vector3 variable), spawn a prefab and remember the position (to respawn it when entering the scene again).
    You could use that event as a Global Event and let the item start the event when used.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Hmmm. Could you post an example like the "Harvesting" example as still figuring out the basics. By the answer, I would assume the item to be placed could be rotated via keys or mouse control set up in the system as positioning would be pretty critical.
  • Well, using custom scripts for such a positioning would probably be easier (if you already got them). Otherwise, you'd use Wait For Input or Wait For Input Fork steps to get the input and rotation/movement steps for moving and rotating the object (depending on the input).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok, that makes sense, but where would the script(node) be placed? Is it the Event Interaction component added to player, or to the object or both.
  • The nodes would be in the game event you're using for your game mechanic.
    WHen using a custom script, that's up to you.