edited June 2015 in Announcements
ORK Framework 2.5.1 is here - see all details in the release notes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next update will be released next week.
  • Unity 5.1
    ORK Framework will require Unity 5.1 from now on.
    This is due to some Unity features being deprecated now.
  • Player Controls: Mouse
    The new Move Type setting allows selecting how the player will be moved. Supports Character Controller, position interpolation and NavMesh Agent.
  • Menu Screens: Ability, Ability Tree, Crafting List, Inventory, Status Value Upgrade
    The new Close All option is available when using Close After use and No Return.
    Will close all open menu screens when the menu is closed due to using a menu item (e.g. an ability or item).
  • Menu Settings, Images
    The new Default Mask Material setting handles which material is used as default for alpha masks on textures.
    Due to Unity deprecation, ORK can no longer create a default shader at runtime, so you'll need to set it up as a material now.
    All image settings (e.g. portraits, value bar images, etc.) can no longer use alpha mask textures, you can either use the default mask material or define a material in the image's settings (as it was till now).
  • Status Effects
    When using an End Action, you can now select if the action will be added to the combatant's next actions, replace previously added actions or be inserted as first next action.
  • Items
    When using an ability through the item, you can set the Action Type of the ability - i.e. if the ability will be used as base attack, counter attack or ability.
    This influences the outcome of the ability use, e.g. due to the target blocking base attack changes.
  • Event System: Status Steps, Variable Steps
    The new Status Value To Variable step stores the value of a combatant's status value into a float game variable.
    You can store the current, base, min, max, displayed, preview or preview max value of the status value.
  • Event System: Status Steps, Variable Steps
    The new Atk Attribute To Variable and Def Attribute To Variable steps store the value of a combatant's attack or defence attribute into a float game variable.
    You can store the current, base, min, max, start or preview value of the attribute.
  • Event System: Variable Steps
    The new Formula To Variable step stores the result of a formula into a float game variable.
    You can define the user and target combatant of the formula.
  • Event System: Battle Steps
    The new Use Battle Action step tries to use a battle action or adds it to a combatant's next action list.
    If the action is used depends on the state of the combatant and battle system. When the action is added to a combatant's next action list, it will be used the next time the combatant chooses an action.
    This step is available in battle events and game events.
    The new Action Type setting in Use Ability Calculation defines if the ability will be used as base attack, counter attack or ability.
    This influences the outcome of the ability use, e.g. due to the target blocking base attack changes.
    The Use Ability Calculation and Use Item Calculation steps are now available in game events.
  • Interaction Components
    Th new UI start type can be started by UnityEvents from the new UI system.
    In your UI component's event settings, select the UIStart function, either without a parameter to use the player as starting object, or with a GameObject parameter to use a selected game object as starting object.
    Can be used to e.g. start an interaction by pressing on a button in your custom UI.
  • Update UI Text Component
    This new component can be used to update the text of a Text component of the new UI.
    Supports text codes (only text, no icons) and special text codes for displaying information of a combatant (e.g. %n for name, %sv.maxX% to display the maximum value of status value ID X).
  • Update UI Slider Component
    This new component can be used to update the min, max and current value of a Slider component of the new UI.
    You can use status values and attack/defence attributes as values.
  • Battle Components, Combatant Spawners
    The new Appearing Chance settings add an optional chance if the battle/spawner will appear in the scene (i.e. when the scene is loaded).
    The game object will be removed when the chance failed - optionally sets the scene ID of the battle/spawner, removing it permanently.
  • Menu Screens
    You can now optionally use game events when opening and closing a menu screen.
    This can be used to e.g. change a variable to display a HUD or enable/disable image effects on the camera.
  • Quest Tasks
    You can optionally start game events when a quest task is activated, inactivated, finished or failed.
  • Abilities
    You can optionally change the cursor when using None target range and raycast targeting.
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Lots of nice things!

I have a small request, if possible of course: could be added notification display when AUTOSAVE is called by event? It only happens when you use a save-spot and if a dialogue /notification is added (custom, with event) it is saved too. :)
  • Fantastic!

I'm curious since I'm still on 5.0; what features are being depreciated that would affect ORK?
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Well I'm using 5.1 now and converting my game from 4.6.5 worked without any headaches--last time I tried it with 5.0 it had some issues.

So I have no problem using Unity 5.1. : ) It seems like a whole new engine somehow.

It asked me if I wanted to upgrade my api's that were old and I said yes and I got not even one yellow error message after that. : )

• gamingislove said: ORK Framework will require Unity 5.1 from now on.
    5.1.1 came out on 18 June. Does Ork require 5.1.x or 5.1.1 from now on?
  • Im using last Unity version and works perfectly.
  • @Gregorik any version in the 5.1 line will work its when it goes 5.2 that would would need that version instead
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • @Kirb
    E.g. Rigidbody2D now has constraints instead of fixed angle option, materials can no longer be created using a shader's code as string (which makes the current simple solution to just select an alpha mask texture for images not usable any longer).

@Gregorik
    Anything from 5.1.0+ :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Also coming in this update:
    • Interaction Components
      Th new UI start type can be started by UnityEvents from the new UI system.
      In your UI component's event settings, select the UIStart function, either without a parameter to use the player as starting object, or with a GameObject parameter to use a selected game object as starting object.
      Can be used to e.g. start an interaction by pressing on a button in your custom UI.
    • Update UI Text Component
      This new component can be used to update the text of a Text component of the new UI.
      Supports text codes (only text, no icons) and special text codes for displaying information of a combatant (e.g. %n for name, %sv.maxX% to display the maximum value of status value ID X).
    • Update UI Slider Component
      This new component can be used to update the min, max and current value of a Slider component of the new UI.
      You can use status values and attack/defence attributes as values.
    • Battle Components, Combatant Spawners
      The new Appearing Chance settings add an optional chance if the battle/spawner will appear in the scene (i.e. when the scene is loaded).
      The game object will be removed when the chance failed - optionally sets the scene ID of the battle/spawner, removing it permanently.
  • Ooh, I like that appearing chance feature. Good for mixing scenes up without having to set up my own random gameobject activation stuff.

This UI interaction component seems great for custom UI elements. Still hoping for some extra settings for triggering events on specific menu open/close, though!
  • @Kirb
    Will be coming :)
    • Menu Screens
      You can now optionally use game events when opening and closing a menu screen.
      This can be used to e.g. change a variable to display a HUD or enable/disable image effects on the camera.
  • @Kaemalux
    Oh, totally forgot - if you're doing autosaving through events - why aren't you simply displaying the notification yourself, using a Show Dialogue step with Auto Close type?
  • No problem GiL. Actually because it saves the dialogues appearing. I use global event when changing scene, and this happen both in old scene (option) either in new one. :)

Wonderful addirion for menus by the way!
  • Perfect! Thanks so much for adding that; I was having to do some pretty hacky stuff with status effects and global event timers set to check every .01 seconds to get my post process effects working! This will be infinitely easier (and better performing!)
  • gamingislove said: Event System: Status Steps, Variable Steps
    The new Status Value To Variable step stores the value of a combatant's status value into a float game variable.
    You can store the current, base, min, max, displayed, preview or preview max value of the status value.
    does this allow for setting values back as well from makinom? like i store the value into a game var pull it from makinom now any changes i do to it from makinom will post the changes to the value as well?
    new website can be found here http://www.fore-loregames.com

Follow the game Development on Twitter https://twitter.com/Fore_Lore_Games

or check out the face book page here https://www.facebook.com/ForeLoreGames
  • edited June 2015
    Additional stuff - release most likely tomorrow.
    • Quest Tasks
      You can optionally start game events when a quest task is activated, inactivated, finished or failed.
    • Abilities
      You can optionally change the cursor when using None target range and raycast targeting.

@wtyson
    No, you'll use the Change Status Value step for that - also allows using game variables :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on