edited March 2014 in ORK Support
Hi guys, love the software, I bought it a year ago and fooled with it but haven't had the time to really dig in until now.

I've been building my own system using the tutorials and how-to's, and I have the battle system working, but I can seem to do any damage with my player against my enemy. If my enemy counters, I get damaged (I haven't gotten the enemy to attack yet, that's next on the list). But if I attack or use my magic, fire, I get 0 damage. I don't know if it's because the attacks aren't hitting, or if there is just no damage being done.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

here is a screen shot:
Post edited by mattsnee on
  • edited March 2014
    Hmm, are you literally doing 0 damage? (As in, the damage notification shows 0 damage) or are you unable to damage them at all?

Maybe take a look at their factions to make sure that all your combatants are on opposing factions if it's the latter: friendly factions can't damage each other.
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • yeah it's showing "-0" in the damage text when my player hits. I looked at the factions... that seems ok, they are different factions and the sympathies are right I think. The enemy can hit the player, and real damage shows up, but when the player attacks the enemy I'm just getting a "-0".
  • Check your combatant's attack/defence attributes (and also the class and the default settings for them).

The attributes are used as percentage values - e.g. if you use a fire attribute ability on a combatant that has a fire attribute value of 0, the result will be 0. That's because he will receive 0 % damage from fire attribute (50 would do 50 % of the attack, -10 would recover 10 % from the attack).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • it looks like all my attack and defense attributes are set to 100... i think that's the default, I haven't really messed with those. What I'm going to do now is go through my formulas and see if I did those right. Thanks for your help so far, I'll get back once I look at the formulas.
  • or... wait. if I have defense attributes set to 100 and attack set to 100 as well, would that = no damage?
  • No, they don't cancel each other out :)
    Attack attributes are assigned to attacks (i.e. abilities), but use the values of the target.
    Defence attributes are assigned to combatants, but use the values of the user of an attack.

E.g.:
    Attack attributes would be Elements, defence attributes would be things like Race, Size, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • ah, I still can't figure this out. I went through my formulas and they all seem in accordance with the tutorials, and my attributes are all set to 100, and I check my factions in the battle start, and the enemy is an enemy, and the player is in his own faction that has -1000 sympathy for the enemy.

Is there anything else you can think of that I might be doing wrong, or entered incorrectly? This one is really boggling my mind.
  • edited March 2014
    I guess it's easier if you send me your ORK project asset (Assets/ORK Framework/ORKProject.asset) and event assets to contact@orkframework.com.

Edit: Solution:

1. The status value used for the life of the combatants didn't had Death on Minimum enabled, so no death, no end to battles.
    But this didn't had anything to do with the actual problem.

2. Combatants had defence attribute start values set to 0 - they wont be able to do damage on any combatant with one of those defence attributes assigned.
    E.g. having 0 for race Insect will lead to doing 0 % damage on all combatants of race insect ...
    Post edited by gamingislove on