• If you're able to do this playmaker/ORK plugin we could even go so far as to make a database of visual scripts that would make the plugin more attractive. When someone makes something they want to contribute they just submit it to you and you vet it before patching it into the asset store update. Then people can just select and alter the stuff they want and remove what they don't want when they build their game or are optimizing it.

The only real issue here is that with playmaker and ork playing nice it will mean more people making their own solutions to issues rather than bringing them up to GiL. That could mean that problems take longer to surface and fix. GiL has a bunch of free testers vetting this framework constantly. Having the ability to use Playmaker might jeopardize ORK's future stability and issue response time from GiL.

Although, GiL may see really good stuff and simply add it to ORK the same way Unity does with their new engine versions (3.X, 4.X, 5.X etc.) and updates. The community makes amazing assets and the really popular stuff is eventually integrated into the engine. The new UI system is a good example of this and it is eerily similar to the NGUI asset.

Something like that might really drive the sales of your plugin and Playmaker/ORK/InvoPro. Seems to me this is a win win for everyone if it ever happens. Plus you only need to test the content to make sure it works and keep the plugin stable, the community will do the rest. Good luck.

On a completely separate note, Star Wars in 6 days people!
    You will always fail at what you do not try.
  • edited December 2015
    I think any discussion about this should be mostly in their Unity thread once their product is accepted--or in one thread here---I still don't know what Playmaker can do for me that would improve any game I could make. I rejected Playmaker and chose ORK to make my games.

On the other hand, I know some people like Playmaker--but could someone point me in the direction of a game made with it? Am I missing something?
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Catacomber said: Can someone tell me what Playmaker can do that ORK can't? I love any addition that can help me make ORK better--and I have Playmaker--I got it free from a Level 11 offering at Unity. I've never touched it.

But not sure how this can help me. And will it run with ORK on ios without being a big file?
    Normally ORK Framework can do every thing in the RPG Game world.
    I use ORK Framework and Playmaker in my own work at company because Playmaker graph are short ,clear and better in debugging.
    You can use many action in one node and comment , change color every node.
    In runtime you can tracking every process.

Playmaker can bring the game into another experience because Playmaker already have alot of 3rd party add-on E.g. networking, input ,GUI like @ZhaoYu said It is open a door.

Playmaker is lightweight and also support mobile device.

Catacomber said: I think all that should be in whatever Unity forum thread they have worked out successfully and not here.
    Yes I agree with you. I'm working with my website to create own forum to prevent GIL from asset issues

@robahouston , I live in Tier 3(Trafficking in Persons) Country. I should watch Star Wars later than you for 3 or 5 day. Please don't spoil. ha ha
    Playmaker and Behavior Designer Integration for ORK Famework
    http://www.gamekakkak.com
  • Show me a game in the ios asset store or on android made with Playmaker and I'll get working on using it. You're a wonderful help in the forum and you have wonderful programming skills--I'll be happy to try your asset--I just need a word or two that will motivate me to use Playmaker that it will do something for me ORK can't.
  • edited December 2015
    Catacomber said: Can someone tell me what Playmaker can do that ORK can't?
    Well, as GiL himself described it previously, Playmaker is more like Makinom, being a non-RPG general framework.
    The huge forte with Playmaker is its connectedness and popularity, having been a major part of the Unity culture for years. A Playmaker-Ork bridge is a dream come true for some of us, as elaborated by @robahouston. It's a win-win for Ork + Playmaker.
    Post edited by Gregorik on
  • edited December 2015
    Show me a game that is actually made with it---and I'll be interested.

Otherwise it sounds like hopefulness -- I don't mean to be harsh but I think we all want to get our games out there, just even for fun. If I thought Playmaker would help me do that, I'd know how to use it, which I don't.

• http://www.hutonggames.com/showcase.html

These are 'pure' Playmaker games AFAIK.
    I for one am only interested in potential ORK+Playmaker games though.
  • Catacomber said: Show me a game in the ios asset store or on android made with Playmaker
    Popular game I know E.g.
    Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft made by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc are using Playmaker.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hearthstone-heroes-warcraft/id625257520?mt=8

And more genres of mobile game are using it.
    hutonggames.com/showcase.html

I think performance term made Playmaker popular. Because easy term is not enough for Blizzard . :)
  • Catacomber said: I don't mean to be harsh but I think we all want to get our games out there, just even for fun.
    I really understand you. I think all of game developer love games and we want to bring some awesome and fun game to people and if they like it they will support you.
    Playmaker can bring ORK some new experience more action or puzzle in RPG Game like mini game in Final Fantasy. And can plug ORK game to social like facebook or make them play together with Unity Networking or Photon add-on.

Separate note ,Talking with you guys I already have a lot of word to write in my asset features. :)
  • OK, you convinced me to be interested. : ) But I'm not going to rush out and use Playmaker--I have enough learning curves in my life---tell me again what it adds that ORK and Makinom doesn't? So this dialogue is meaningful for me.

• Catacomber said: OK, you convinced me to be interested. : ) But I'm not going to rush out and use Playmaker--I have enough learning curves in my life---tell me again what it adds that ORK and Makinom doesn't? So this dialogue is meaningful for me.
    I'm not sure because I've never try Makinom before. And some features Makinom look better than Playmaker E.g. database because Playmaker doesn't have that.
    One thing i can tell you is Playmaker have a lot of add-on more than Makinom that make easy to bring ORK plug with that.
    https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W714

Maybe some day I'll try Makinom and crate Playmaker Action For Makinom that will be useful.
  • robahouston said: If you're able to do this playmaker/ORK plugin we could even go so far as to make a database of visual scripts that would make the plugin more attractive. When someone makes something they want to contribute they just submit it to you and you vet it before patching it into the asset store update. Then people can just select and alter the stuff they want and remove what they don't want when they build their game or are optimizing it.
    Thanks for your advice quotes.
    I'm new for this and I've never working this process with another people before except my teammate.
    Would you mind if I ask you for some example about this process. :)
  • tanohmz said: Thanks for your advice quotes.
    I'm new for this and I've never working this process with another people before except my teammate.
    Would you mind if I ask you for some example about this process. :)
    Ask me whatever and I will help you with what I can.

Specifically for @Catacomber, having the ability to use playmaker is like giving any user more opportunities to expand on their projects. It's not a killer app thing, more a way to make ORK more usable. An example might be completely skipping something in ORK because you might have a better way for your game. I might use Unity's built in UI stuff and plug it in to ORK with PlayMaker. Since ORK allows for custom scripts to be added, something I am not really familiar with, visual scripting just puts that power in more people's hands.

Lastly, ORK confines by its nature while PlayMaker is really open ended. You can do whatever with PlayMaker the same way you can do whatever with just coding. Likely this is the reason some, including myself, chose to go with ORK. I wanted a fill in the blank solution that allowed me to focus on the art. Also, logic is really the largest hurdle for even seasoned programmers which ORK does away with because that hurdle is someone else's responsibility, namely GiL.

I hope my unorganized and long winded explanation was helpful.
    You will always fail at what you do not try.
  • Thanks for taking the time to explain all the benefits to me. :) I'll download it and see what it's all about. I have no idea what visual scripting is. :) Anything that's good for use with ORK is good for me. And I think the more plugins ORK can use is also a good thing.

• edited December 2015
    I downloaded Playmaker which I got for free as part of a Level 11 giveaway. I never used it. I see it's a state machine I think like Makinom so I can't really tell right now what it can do that I can't do with ORK and Makinom.

So if it's good for ORK to have a Playmaker plugin, it's good for me. Because I can't really judge.

But I personally think I'd rather see plugins for ORK to things like Photon as the makers of Love/hate did for their ORK plugin.

I don't know how gil feels about this. But if it's good for him, as I said, it's good for me.

I like being dependent on him for his attention to ORK and updates. It scares me just a little bit to be dependent on so many other parties for my game updates to work whenever Unity changes something.

That would mean I'd have to be sure that x, y, z, a, b, c developers updated their plugins. It could break my game. And Apple evolves,--I'm sure Android does too -- so fast sometimes --that updates are needed.

I like simplicity.