edited November 2015 in Showcase
The Main Menu---graphics by Sylon of Redshift, Hungary-----takes place in ancient China--working through and polishing the intro scenes right now--focused on getting the music right--I think music is very important. Trying to decide whether this will be real time or turn-based, leaning toward turn-based this time. : ) One thing I've learned is that polish is very important so polishing, polishing----

photo 9Dragons.jpg
Post edited by Catacomber on
  • I really like the buttons! If I might offer some input, the title screen is really busy. I kind of like the more minimalist style for this sort of screen.

http://www.pixelcake.nl/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/opening-screen.jpg

Just an example for ya. I wouldn't go so far as the example but something just doesn't jive with me. Kinda get this feeling like this is the start screen for one of the games you play in a bar. The machine on the corner with a thousand other games on it.
    You will always fail at what you do not try.
  • Thanks. I like minimalism too sometimes but I also like Sylon's art. Of course he can change it but I'd like to see how the betatesters respond. I've received some other very nice comments about it. We're just starting to put Nine Dragons in. Anything can change.
  • edited November 2015
    @robahouston---Thanks again for your input. I forgot to ask----I'd be curious to know what game that image you posted is from.

We're always trying to improve things--mostly I've improved from playing games already in the ios asset store and playing some older rpg games. I've learned a lot that way.

One of my favorite rpg games in the asset store right now has a Main Menu that is a 3d view of a dungeon with monsters positioned and a very small and framed area for the buttons. It's not minimalistic at all. It's very busy and engaging.

Someone -- a noted and experienced game reviewer friend -- once told me it's old fashioned to frame your buttons on ios--that is to put them inside a box---but that game does it and it works very well. So I think it's all sort of what you like and what other people like.

Apart from game play. That's when it gets down to sink or swim.

Nine Dragons is exotic--I've never done anything quite so exotic (although our Mithril Horde I and II Quest expansions are pretty exotic taking place in Indonesia but I didn't have the Oriental graphics to work with there--had to fake it) and I think a minimalistic Main Menu wouldn't work--I started out with one but it doesn't conjure up the exoticism---lots of animals and creatures and lots of dragons. : ) And lots of Oriental graphics--hopefully that Oriental gate lets you know you're not in Kansas.

And good spilling of red blood, when those long dragon teeth and pointed claws get ahold of your flesh. : )

Hopefully like the excitement of being in a bar--all the sights and sounds and bonding etc. and the fights that take place because you are drunk---not that I've ever been in one--but it sounds like a good and exciting place to be. : )

I did change the text on the "Nine Dragons" banner to gold so it would stand out more--that is, I asked Sylon to do it. I'm not a graphician. I depend on a few graphics providers and the Unity Asset store, although I can tweak some things here and there. : )

• @Catacomber Final Fantasy VII. I think it is a fan made thing.

I think busy might not have been the right way to describe it. Busy isn't bad, but with it being a static image it feels like it is lacking depth. If you look at scenes in something like Spirited away, a lot of scenes are really busy. Tons of stuff going on but it all seems to work. It all works because of the complementary color palette, depth, and some animated elements tucked away into the background and foreground. It's a whole lot of UX (user experience). When you have assets they are the UI. When you put them together you get a UX.

Lastly, the red. Not really the red though but the hue of the red and the orange are in the same range. There is very little differentiation between their hue levels. As an example, there was a game I was testing a while ago and all of the maps and UI were just various hues of brown and green. When it was all said and done they had to do a complete art revamp because no one noticed all the brown. The UI assets were remade and the UX rebuilt and the maps had to be updated with new or updated textures. It was time consuming and expensive for a game that was ultimately free to play.

I guess what I am trying to say is don't bee afraid to try something a little weird, you might like what it changes. Also, adobe has a complimentary color site that will show you colors that work together. Just search adobe color wheel. You're looking for adobe kuler: color wheel. Good luck out there! Also, post some gameplay screenshots!
  • edited November 2015
    Thanks. : ) I have a professional artist who did that so I can ask him to do all that Adobe stuff which is a little bit beyond me. Also I might change it.

I have to get out a new Quest game expansion within the next month--Cursed Stone--which is made with an old, old 2.5d editor by Redshift of Hungary whom I worked with to make the Quest--and about 14 other expansions--people have been complaining that there haven't been any new Quest expansions--and that's my fault--because I've been so happy to use Unity and ORK, but I have to take a small break to finish Cursed Stone and get it tested for ios at Touch Arcade.

I'll get back to Nine Dragons as soon as The Quest--Cursed Stone is done. : ) I still check in here. : )

Thanks for your advice.

As soon as I get back to Nine Dragons which will be as soon as the betatesters stop tortur....that is nurturing Cursed Stone along...I'll be back with screenshots of Nine Dragons.

• edited November 2015
    I have to get this done and then I'll be back with Nine Dragons screenshots--but I check in here every day and try to help when I can--I feel sorry that I can't work on Nine Dragons right now but I'll be back. : )

http://toucharcade.com/?s=the+ques
  • @robathouston--

I will go with a less is more minimalistic style. Thanks for your comments. : )
  • The quest looked good, this does too. I like the dragons, buttons, and poles just thought the title could be a little easier on the eyes/less crazy in terms of the text. Just one opinion, and you could leave it as is and it would still be great! Polish matters but as a concept I give an oriental exotic type feel so well done.
  • @catacomber

If you ever want any assistance with graphics or design, just some outside input, pm me. I have a couple years in the games industry and always love to help where I can!