edited December 2015 in General Discussion
We usually spend Christmas with our family in a far off place and never get a chance to go to a church on Christmas Eve, so we miss the singing of Oh, Holy Night and other songs.

So this year we decided we would find a Christmas carolling place in NYC and we did.

It was wonderful and very close to where we live. The service was a candlelight service.

The interesting thing is that it was in a Presbyterian Church. I'm Catholic but I think we can attend a Presbyterian church and take communion without imperiling our souls.

The more interesting thing is that it was in a Presbyterian Church that helped recovering alcoholics and other "lost" people and the homeless and also is a place where comedians who are really good can do stand up comedy--and they have plays and other entertaining things--so it's an interesting place.

The smell around me wasn't of perfume. But the spirit that surrounded me was awesome.

The pastoress was inspiring--talking about miracles in a way that made me believe ithey could come true.

Now remember--some of the people around me were homeless and it came time for Communion and going up for the bread and wine (they actually came around also with the bread and grapejuice--grapejuice not wine because of the recovering alcoholics).

I heard a guy in back of me ask his friend---are you going to get the bread?

And his friend said--no, I already had a sandwich.

(Note: They have a communal supper on Tuesday nights--so he had his sandwich before this service.)

That comment somehow made me feel "homelessness" and what it meant that this church was feeding people -- not only sustaining life but hope in miracles--even though that guy had his sandwich and didn't "need" to eat the Communion bread--his stomach was full--but he showed up for the ceremony, perhaps because it fed his spirit. : )

They have a soup kitchen and places for people to shower and get clothes.We found it from one of our neighborhood newspapers and were there just for the carolling, which we miss. But we got a lot more out of the experience. We saw how that church was working miracles.
It was one of the best candle-lighting ceremonies in a church I ever had.

Something the Pastoress said inspired me--she said do just one good thing for someone else and it will live on. For the person you do that good thing for, it may be a miracle to them. So I hope everyone will do just one good thing for everyone this Christmas. : )
Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Thanks for sharing Catacomber ;)
  • Christmas song from people are the light in darkness time.
    I was get away from city life living with hill tribe for two month.
    Most of them are Christian. Recently, they always practice to singing Christmas song together every evening.
    It's hard time for most of people in my country because of Coup d'état and Dictator problem.
    But hill tribe people always happy.
    They have no citizen ID Card , no transportation , no more money but they are happy.
    They are singing with the language that I can't understand but it beautiful.

I'm not Christian but I believe this is call a miracle. :)

Merry Christmas guys!
    Playmaker and Behavior Designer Integration for ORK Famework
    http://www.gamekakkak.com
  • Hill Tribe are really interesting. Could easily make a game based on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_tribe_(Thailand)

Stay safe!
  • Good to hear, thanks for sharing, love to see the church bringing the love. Hope it's a good break Cata.