edited January 2016 in ORK Support
I would like to have a predefined 3d set for the in game menu. To achieve this I´m thinking two possibilities:
1) Have the menu call trigger a camera position change so I can move the camera were the 3D set is located.
2) Have the in game menu show in another scene (like the Battle in a different scene tut).

Is this something that can be achieved with the current ORK version?

Option 2
Solved!, by using the Game Events from the Base Settings->Game Event Settings under the Overview Menu Screen in the tutorials reference.

This framework is just amazing!!
Post edited by RustedGames on
  • Although option 2 is the best approach since it allows me to have a dedicated Menu Room Scene, I had to play with settings in order to get the desired behavior.

When opening the In Game Menu the OpenInGameMenu Event is called with wait checked to let the transition go smoothly.

Having the CloseInGameMenu in the same Overview Menu Screen will cause it to go back to main level when you access the Inventory or other submenus, so I created the CloseInGameMenu Event as a Global Event and place it in the last Menu Entry.

both events are pretty simple:

OpenInGameMenu

CloseInGameMenu
    I had to add a Close all menu screen step in order to fix the main menu was still open when returning to the game scene.

The result will be the desired dedicated menu room

Why do I need this setup?
    This is the first step to show a custom 3D character equipment system like similar to Lightning Returns FFXIII.

I will appreciate any suggestions or hints in case someone else thinks that this can be achieved in other simpler way

• Another way would be using a global event to load the scene and open the menu screen there.
    I'll look into adding an option to the close event settings to only use the event when the screen is closed without calling another menu screen.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks GiL, just to be clear ;) you mean by removing the Menu tutorial approach and handling it with global event that will be running every tick and if the menu input key is pressed then I can load the dedicated menu room scene and open the menu from the same event?
  • Not running every tick - using the Key event type for the global event, you can start the event through an input key instead of checking for the key in an event running every frame :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Indeed your suggestion is easier, thanks a lot.
  • edited January 2016
    GIL is there a way to display the 3d Models without calling a new scene built into the current event system?

See I'm also trying to achieve something similar but I don't want an entire scene I just want it to display the character model in a box and have the option to rotate around to preview gear decor. I Would also like to use this in the bestiary menu.

Or to have a box appear to the left of the item description that will display the 3d models of the weapon\armor

Could also be used for 3d character portraits that way, rather than 2D

My question is similar enough to RustedGames that I didn't want to make a new Discussion just for this.
    Post edited by paulgswanson on
  • Hello @paulgswanson, it seems that you are after the first option I mentioned above, you may try as GiL suggested to use a GameEvent to call the menu and in your case change to position of the camera to a specific place where you want to instantiate this box.
    If you are using uGUI for the UI parts you will see that having a 3D object in your canvas is not possible when using Camera-Overlay setup. I don´t want to use any of the other options for the Canvas camera because of performance.
  • Using a Render Texture (e.g. in a HUD that's displayed alongside your menu screen) can also be used for something like this.