• @Kirb, What particle asset are you using?
  • ORK currently requires Unity 5.3 - i.e. you can also go back to Unity 5.3.0 if the latest versions have issues. I'm still working with 5.3.0 and not really experiencing problems.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @Kirb, @RustedGames

5.3.2f1 solved my AABB particle system problems. I'm using Neatwolf's particle effects plus some that are included with 3D Forge's Sewer Tile-A-Dungeon kit.
  • edited February 2016
    @rustedgames

A few! The one I sent in for Repro was a rain effect from the MegaFX pack, I think. But mine is very much an edgecase: basically any particle system that uses 2D collision and sub-emitters that occur off screen, when you have multiple cameras, will cause tons of AABB spam.

Weirdly, I recreated the particle system from scratch, and NO errors. I have no idea why that'd be the case since it's identical to the prefab, but I'm not complaining.
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • edited February 2016
    Well, I've now had severe performance issues with 5.3.2f1. So reverting to 5.3.0 so I can keep the recent benefits of updates to ORK, but if the performance is just as bad--am going back to 4.6 for our current game at least. Our current game uses a lot of assets and somehow Unity 5.3.2f1 just couldn't handle it. Don't know why.

It's been nothing but frustration the past few weeks using 5.x. The only thing i'm getting really adept at in Unity right now is completely de-installing and re-installing it on two platforms after putting in weeks of work.

Luckily I can still hammer out games in the Quest 2.5d editor. Maybe it was fate. So many of our players missed them. Still trying with Unity but feeling defeated.

Not ORK's fault. It's incomparable but Unity right now is a huge headache that taking a Tylenol can't cure.
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Was Unity 5.2 better for you (performance-wise)? If Unity 5.3 is such a big issue, I could try to create a 5.2 compatible version.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I vote for a 5.2 compatible version
  • edited February 2016
    Thanks, Gil, that's very kind of you but personally for me I don't know if it would be. I can't speak for others. I had so many problems making Nine Dragons in 5.0 I took a few months off to make a game with my old editor. I've just poked my head in here to ask or answer questions and help promote the Tilt. That game's released and am back to trying again with Unity.

My last stable version on iOS was 4.6. Our game Omber made with ORK and Unity 4.6 by the way still has steady monthly sales in the Apple asset store. I can't complain. But I'd like to make more games with Unity and ORK. I could and probably will go on making games with my old the Quest 2.5d editor--at least two a year--I can do it in my sleep----but hoping to squeeze in one Unity/ORK game a year. We already have the quests written for at least three. Unity is not cooperating. : |

Let me try 5.3.0 and see how it goes. I like the beauty but not the bugginess of the 5.x series but want to give it a chance. I read that you're not having problems with 5.3.0 so will give 5.3.0 a try.

Thanks for everything. You're wonderful.

Am importing my assets into 5.3.0 now and will see how things go. 5.3.2 was a disaster. Am going to start out making it for PC.

Of course, others might want a 5.2 version. But have been reading the Unity forums like a hawk about performance issues and from what I read 5.2 had a lot of problems. Some in that forum think 5.1.1 was the last stable version of Unity.

If others want compatibility with an earlier 5.x version, of course, I'm for it. : D

You are the greatest.

• edited February 2016
    I'm going back to Unity 5.1.3 just so I can get Nine Dragons done by September. :). I'll keep up with ORK changes on another computer and really looking forward to the grid-based system. But right now, I have to get this done and ORK 2.5.5 is pretty good. :D.

Performance on iOS for a fairly large file ain't easy from 5.2 on, even in the editor I got freezes. It doesn't seem that tweaking the usual things helps.

If Unity achieves the nirvana of decent frame rates on mobile again in some version, I can always update.
  • I just tried 5.3.4 hoping it would solve some performance issues. Reading the Unity forum on Mac and ios and android it has problems.

I tried it on Windows 10 PC and using an asset I like very much that is Unity 5 ready, when I deleted some of the point lights in my scene, I lost all the objects in my hierarchy.

Going back once again to 4.7.0--especially since someone just brought a game to Steam using 4.7.0. This is driving me a little bit crazy--it's driving others crazy too but that's not very much comfort.

• I just sucked it up and hopped onto the 5.3.x train several weeks ago. To me it feels wrong to develop on an abandoned branch.
    Yep, 5.3 is still struggling due to its new(ish) features, but so does UE4 and CryEngine to be honest.
  • edited March 2016
    @Catacomber I managed to convert DMMap to Unity 4.7 (the compatible version from the Asset store does not have the new features) if you want to use it in your game PM me and I´ll show you the steps. ;)
    Post edited by RustedGames on
  • edited March 2016
    Thanks @RustedGames, pming you. :D
  • edited March 2016
    @Gregorik- I admire you for how hard you've worked to get asset providers to give us what we need to make good games. I have to go with older versions of Unity right now though because while 5.3.4 apparently has better performance on PC, it is still problematic on Mac and it really is horrible on iOS. Unity 5.1.2 is apparently ok on iOS. But that appears to be the last version that works well on iOS and I'm an iOS developer right now.

If I can't make a game my play testers can test, I'm nowhere. So right now staying with 4.7 for stability. Eventually Unity will get there.

Basically I have to see how my battles go and if I can do everything i want to in 4.7.

Omber was made with 4.6 updated to 5.1 so I know I can make a game that plays well on iOS if I start with 4.7.

I'm responsible to other people to get Nine Dragons done now so I can't experiment with versions of Unity that are unstable. We have our own roadmap for getting games done and I have to deliver.

4.7 is stable on iOS. If it works well as it should , I'll try updating to Unity 5.1.2 the last known version to work well on iOS but I don't remember what version of ORK works with Unity 5.1.2 will read the release notes.

I don't think updating to Unity 5.1 did anything for me only updating to the ORK version for Unity 5.1.

To get Nine Dragons done on iOS I'm going to have to make whatever game I can using Unity 4.7. At least I think I can make a good world exploration, questing game. I have wonderful assets that still require only 4.x.

The chief thing is- I have to get it done.
  • edited March 2016
    From all the posts in the Unity forum and my own experience, if you want to make a mobile game with Unity right now, you can't do it with Unity 5.3. You have to revert. And wait.

I have been with Unity for a long while since 3.x and suffered their ups and downs and right now I think they're a bit of a long way off from getting Unity 5.3 working well on mobile.

So, if I go back to an older version, I'm going to the only place I can go and make a mobile game.

Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. And so happy I can get back to work reverting.

Fortunately, I've never had the serious problems I've had with Unity with ORK.

Gil's Quality Control has always been very good. I guess a lot of that is people like Kirb testing so many thanks for that.