I am wanting to make a character creation screen where the player can pick either a male character or a female character then have the game assign the player prefab accordingly as well as make an NPC using the oposit selection.
  • The first part is easy. Firrerreo did a guide for setting up a character creation scene that I followed. You set a variable for male or female and depending on the variable chosen spawn a male or female combatant.

I imagine using the variable, if you have an invisible prefab for the npc in your scene, you could make it visible through an event.
  • thanks ill have to look up that guide
  • edited February 2016
    @MacGabhann
    It was here (I think this is what Catacomber was referring to, I took a mental note of where this was because it seemed to useful):
    http://forum.orkframework.com/discussion/comment/7443/#Comment_7443

With all the new updates and extra features this might actually be simpler now than it used to be.
    Post edited by paulgswanson on
  • that looks perfect and it looks like i will be able to change the player combatant in the start event using a choice dialog and branching from there looks like it will work thanks definitely putting that guide on my bookmark list :)
  • that worked flawlessly was exactly what i was needing
  • edited February 2016
    Firrerreo has a strong knowledge of Unity and ORK. :)
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Yay, hey thanks for the shoutout Cat, glad it was useful. :) ....also totally forgot I wrote that tutorial. I'm the worst.
    My little chunk of the internet: http://artemic.com
  • na you probably got to many other things going on that tutorial should get moved somewhere where it will be easier for others to find in the future as helpful as it is. I am completely new at this Ive had an Idea for a game for years but until unity and ORK i had been feeling like i would never get to see it done but now im getting somewhere.. now if i can just get the first person controller to work in ORK correctly lol
  • edited February 2016
    Somehow posted twice. Tell me what your problems might be and I might be able to help you with First Person. You have to set it up so you don't "see through" walls.
  • edited February 2016
    What platform are you using? I've been using first person for a long time although I'm switching now to third maybe.

I've gotten it to work on mobile and PC but I set it up differently on mobile and PC. Of course you have an Interaction Controller on your Player prefab? Camera is on Player prefab whether or not you have a different camera in the scene?
  • actually i had not put the interaction controller on the first person prefab although it was still allowing me to interact with stuff i ended up switching every thing back to the way the tutorial was for now as i dont know how to get it to work properly with the first person prefab perhaps you could let me know the steps you used to make yours work and hopefully ill be able to figure it out
  • edited February 2016
    What platform are you using? PC? I can help you but tomorrow as I'm downloading a big unity asset into my project and it's slow as can be.

I always put the interaction controller as a child of the prefab even though I add it automatically in game controls.
  • edited February 2016
    yea im using PC tomorrow works im actually going to be sitting here working on it this time tomorrow anyway I was half tempted on starting the whole thing over from scratch but at the same time i like having everything ive done in the tutorial so far there so i can look at it as i need
    Post edited by MacGabhann on
  • edited February 2016
    I think your only problem is that you have to change some settings in the editor.

Off the top of my head without being able to look at the editor right now there's a section called something like player input controls. There's a place there to use a special control for movement and you type in the script name for your first person control scripts there and a place to choose what kind of camera you're using-- you want to change that to first person camera and there's also a place there to automatically add the interaction controller which probably you have checked since you can interact.

You've got to change your camera to first person there and add your first person movement scripts and then something I can't explain without being able to look at the editor.

Gil if he sees this will know what I'm talking about. And I linked to his tutorial on special controls which would include what you're using in your other thread.
  • I think it would be great if GiL could post a new tutorial on the site in the How-to section covering off something like 'Character Selection and Creation Screens - Gender, Race etc'. The tutorial could give a working example with events, data and global variables utlising the very latest Ork functionality...