• Check out the preview build of ORKsive's current state:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqEy4U3c8-bBjVboWccTvXzdBPt-

Controls:

WASD + mouselook. Should still work with an Xbox 360 gamepad but I haven't tested it in a while, and I don't remember which button does which right now.

Attack: left mouse button or left control

Aim: hold down right mouse button

Jump: space

Run: hold down left shift

Draw/Sheathe weapon: T (you start out with the sword sheathed)

Interact: Enter (when the ORK interaction prompts come up; pick up item, open chest, etc)

Character Menu: F1 (also has Quit and Save/Load options here)

Weapon Select: Left Alt (sometimes this closes when you click on the weapon icon and sometimes you have to press Left Alt again to close it)

Skillbar items: number keys 1 to 6. The Flame Blast spell only works when there is an enemy target in range. That's not how I intend for it to work; I just copied an ability from the ORK demo and that's how it worked.

For some reason, enemies don't enter their death animation/ragdoll when you kill them with the bow and arrow; you have to hit them again.
  • edited July 2016
    @Keldryn I'm using both ICE Creature and Behavior Designer for AI. Those won't be a problem for use with your integration right?

And I really love the progress so far. It's just awesome!
    Post edited by gimme on
  • Thanks, @gimme!

Both ICE and BD should work fine with it. Because I'm taking the approach of letting TPC handle player input directly, ORKsive already works without having to first use an Ability and then animate it with a Battle Event. So the way that BD normally interfaces with TPC should still work just fine.
  • Great great great!!! ;)
  • New preview build is available!

Ranged weapons now use ammo from ORK's inventory. The Bow simply uses Arrows directly from the player's inventory until there are none left. The Pistol can hold 12 Bullets at a time and once those are used up, you can use a Pistol Clip in your inventory to reload. There is currently no shortcut key for this, although you can drag a Pistol Clip from inventory to your skillbar. This also doesn't play a reload animation or sound clip; it just adds the bullets. The HUD in the lower left corner of the screen appears when you have a ranged weapon equipped (Bow or Pistol) and it shows both your remaining Bullets and Arrows.

Some of the Evil Dougs now use a Pistol instead of a Sword. They start shooting at you when they can see you, but I wasn't able to get them to switch weapons when you get close to them or when they run out of bullets (the Change Equipment node was reached but it wasn't actually changing the equipment). The enemies still have trouble seeing or hearing you when you're right behind them, but AI isn't the focus of this integration, so I'm not going to spend a huge amount of time on that right now.

I also did a lot of cleanup and refining which won't be immediately obvious.

Controls:

WASD + mouselook.

Attack: left mouse button or left control

Aim: hold down right mouse button

Jump: space

Run: hold down left shift

Draw/Sheathe weapon: T (you start out with the sword sheathed)

Interact: Enter (when the ORK interaction prompts come up; pick up item, open chest, etc). The "F" key (which TPC defaults to for interactions) also works.

Character Menu: F1 (also has Quit and Save/Load options here)

Weapon Select: Left Alt (sometimes this closes when you click on the weapon icon and sometimes you have to press Left Alt again to close it).

Skillbar items: number keys 1 to 6. The Flame Blast spell only works when there is an enemy target in range. That's not how I intend for it to work; I just copied an ability from the ORK demo and that's how it worked.
  • Keldryn sorry if you already mentioned this, but is Orksive independent of the various TPC versions?

• @gimme: No, what I'm currently working on requires 1.3.2 plus a few minor changes (changing a few private fields to protected fields on a handful of classes; these changes will eventually be incorporated into TPC).

Version 1.4 should have some changes to how items are instantiated that will enable a much smoother integration between the weapons in ORK and TPC -- especially if UMA is brought into the mix.

Are you still using an earlier version of TPC?
  • Yes I'm still on 1.2. I'll upgrade once I release a playable demo, which is very soon. I know once I upgrade, a lot of fixes will be required for my project and I don't want to push my demo release date too far back because of asset upgrades.

I look forward to testing it out soon though.
  • I'll be grabbing DK UMA 2 very soon as well, so that's great if they will all work nicely together
  • @gimme: Right now I'm looking at integrating with the upcoming UMA 2.1 and it's new Dynamic Character System.

I have DK UMA Premium and if it gets updated to UMA 2.1 I'll see what might be needed to get it all working together. It has separate (and incomplete) integrations for both TPC and ORK, but nothing for using both at the same time.

I've only spent a bit of time with it, but enough to be able to get UMA helmets, shirts, boots, etc to display on the character when equipping a helmet, shirt, boots, etc in ORK. If the wardrobe slots used by DCS are totally configurable, then I'm not sure if DK is necessary. (No offence to DK UMA)
  • lol thanks for the heads up. BTw what's the difference between DK UMA and just UMA?
  • Quick update: I've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks, so I haven't had that much time to work on this integration.

TPC 1.3.3 was released today, and I've already got it imported and made any necessary changes to the integration. There are a number of changes in 1.3.3 that help with the integration, so I have a few things to work on. I still intend to wait until version 1.4 before creating an "official" first release of ORKsive, as the revisions to how items are equipped and instantiated will make the integration MUCH smoother than it is right now. :-) However, if anybody wants to test out the current version of the integration, please PM me and I'll hook you up with the project files.
    BTw what's the difference between DK UMA and just UMA?
    DK UMA adds its own slot & overlay system that sits on top of UMA and manages the UMA slots and overlays. UMA slots essentially equate to skinned meshes, and UMA overlays equate to textures (with an appropriate material). DK UMA's slots exist at a higher level of abstraction; a DK UMA slot represents either a body part or a location where an item can be equipped. The wardrobe/equipment slots contain the rules for which "races" can use them, which body or equipment slots will be hidden, whether or not the item is available to be selected in the chracter creator, and which DK UMA overlays can be used with the slot. It also has a system for "layering" equipment/clothing slots, so that you can have a base, underlay, and cover slot for each equipment/clothing slot.

It's a very nice system and the in-game character creator (DK UMA Premium) has a more robust set of customization controls/settings than does the new Dynamic Character System (DCS) creator. You can use UMA Text Recipes with the DCS, which gives you something fairly close to what the DK UMA slots & overlays provide (set which UMA races are compatible with it, which wardrobe slots will be hidden, which overlays to use with the slot, colors for the overlay). But out of the box, the DCS doesn't have nearly as many wardrobe/equipment/clothing slots as DK UMA, nor does it have the base/underlay/cover distinctions. The DCS in-game character creator has a much more streamlined interface, but it doesn't really give you the same degree of fine-grained control over the character's wardrobe without some customization.

DK UMA is a fairly complex system that sits on top of an already very complex (and poorly documented) system. It's also maintained by one developer. So there is something appealing to me about using the DCS as it will be included in the core UMA 2.1 package; it's open source just like the rest of UMA, so as long as UMA is in active development, you can count on the DCS continuing to be supported and maintained.

This isn't a criticism of DK UMA's developer; this is an inherent risk any time you take on a dependency on a closed-source asset created and maintained by a single developer. In terms of this integration, we've already got that situation with ORK Framework as well as Third Person Controller (Opsive is a company, but AFAIK it's primarily Justin who is coding the TPC). I would say that this applies to the vast majority of what is available on the Asset Store.

Anyway, I'm drifting wildly off-topic here. If anyone wants to continue the discussion of UMA and/or DK UMA, we should start up a new thread or cast Raise Dead on an existing one. :-)
  • Lmao I may cast one later on, but for now your detailed explanation is sufficient. I will just wait for your integration, which I am very excited for.

• How's it coming along @Keldryn? Any goodies on updates?
  • I just purchased TPC and I would love to have this integration as well @Keldryn! Looking forward to it.