edited November 2016 in ORK Support
Greetings,

It's been a while since I've gotten back into ORK. I wanted say first of all the new changes are amazing! I really like the new battle grid and have been working to through the tutorials. Which brings with it some questions:

I'll preface my questions with the fact that I am doing my battles in a separate scene, which I'm not having any issues per se as far as that goes. But just wanted to mention it in the event it's relevant.

1.) When my combatants load, they are not facing each other. E.g. The enemies are facing the 'side' of the grid and not looking towards the players. I'm not sure what I missed there. I feel like my combatants are looking aimlessly around the battlefield until they call a battle event that calls the Grid Rotate To Target event. Second part to this: even though I have Grid Rotate To Target event steps in my Battle AI, the enemies are not looking at the target before using the ability. So I'm not sure what I'm missing there either. And shouldn't the combatant stay looking at their target? I'm sure I'm missing something here :).

2.) Can I add an orientation step right after my move and not just after the turn ends? E.g. move, then click the grid to the direction I wish the player to face, then do my ability etc.?

3.) If I want to give the effect of terrain, say mounds of dirt are found in my scene. Can I move/slant/elevate the grids to contour the mounds of dirt? Or can that get messy?

4.) Is it possible to have or are there any plans to have a secondary 'grid battle' camera? E.g. RTS type camera option. That may come in handy in the event people want to make some fairly large grid battles( Which I assume we can do right? :). I did see in the Tips section of tutorial that GiL has a Camera Control Target section. But I'm not sure what this is exactly and I'm using an MMO camera from a third party. Thus I don't see that it extends the BaseCameraControl class? Is this class part of ORK code base? I haven't gotten into the ORK API in a long time.

Anyway, thanks for an awesome new feature. I think it really adds a ton to the framework. And a shout out to all of you who paid to have GiL add it. I wasn't aware all that was going on or I would have thrown in some bucks to help out :)

Post edited by Squeaker on
  • Hi Squeaker,

I can chime in on #2 and #3 while we wait for Gil.

2.) I'm also thinking ahead about this issue. Although I have not tried it yet, I'm pretty sure GiL would have made some sort of "Orient Player on Grid" Event node that you can add to the end of the Move Event to make this happen. Again , I haven't tried doing so yet but I will be there in the next day or two and will let you know my findings.

3.) Yes you can rotate the tile in scene visually. Additionally you can have a slope angle set to your choosing.I wouldn't go higher than 45 and ORK will automatically rotate tiles when generating the grid in scene when it encounters a "Rock" or some sort of geometry with a Mesh collider on it. But in your case it's probably best to custom adjust the grid to your battle board and you can definitely do it by hand in your scene editor once you add the grid. Each tile is movable/rotatable.
  • 1) Try using a Grid Orientation Selection node in your battle start event for the enemy group (or all groups, when you don't use the rotation selection in the player combatant placement).

2) Yes, you can - just add a Grid Orientation Selection node in your move command battle event at the end :)

3) The individual grid cells are just game objects in the scene, i.e. you can manipulate them how you need them - move them, rotate them, scale them, etc.
    You can also set up a special grid cell type for these cells and use a different cell prefab.

4) There are some features coming to the Top Down Border camera control in the next update.
    The Camera Control Target option will set the selected cell (e.g. when selecting a move target) as the current target for the camera, i.e. usually centering the camera on it. This is only possible for the built-in controls and custom controls that extend from ORK's base camera control class.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2016
    @Gregie
    Thanks so much for the help. It's very much appreciated.

@GiL
    Thanks man, I haven't tried using a Grid Orientation Selection node at battle start event or at the end of the move command but will do so today.

As far as the individual grid cells, I didn't want to throw my grid into chaos :) So I thought I'd be sure I understood what was acceptable. Thanks for explaining that a bit more.

Top Down Border camera: Excellent. I just read the announcement last night and am very excited about the new features. I know this isn't the official thread for this but, just a quick quick question on the new upcoming Research concept: I don't know if you're familiar with gear sets in The Elder Scrolls Online (ESO). They have a trait research concept that takes x days to research, with each one taking progressively longer to learn. Is this somewhat like that?

Thanks for all the great information :)

EDIT: So I'm still a bit lost on #1:
    A.) Where in the sequence of the event do I put the Grid Orientation Selection node in the Battle start event? I added it right after the Spawn Combatants node. In the Grid Orientation Selection node settings I have it set to Object: Actor, Actor: Enemy Group. But it doesn't seem to do anything.
    B.) I have tried it with a Move Into Range Battle AI added my combatants like in the tutorial but that doesn't set them to the right orientation either.
    C.) I have a slightly complex Battle AI for the particular combatants I'm using for testing. But it doesn't set them to the correct orientation either even with a Grid Rotate To Target node added before the ability node. EDIT: I created a very simple Battle AI and still no looking at the target. So, I'm lost! :D Thanks!

Second EDIT: I created a very simple battle that was virtually identical (in concept, I used my own scene) to the tutorial. All the orientations were fine. So my question is: 'What should the orientation of the Grid be?' The reason behind the question is my battle in a separate scene must have the grid rotated incorrectly or something? I'm not sure. Or is there something different that needs to be done in the set up of a battle in separate scene as far as the grid is concerned?

I guess what I'm shooting for is to have to battles look like the screen shots of the battles in the tutorials. :)
  • Yes, the research feature can be set up like that.

The Grid Orientation Selection node should be added at the end of the battle start event, i.e. when all combatants are on the grid (otherwise the enemies wouldn't have anything to turn to if the player isn't placed yet).
    The battle AI will only be used when a combatant's turn comes up, so this doesn't help you for orientation at the start of the battle.

The grid's orientation shouldn't be changed, i.e. don't rotate the actual game object with the Battle Grid component attached.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2016
    Cool! Thanks so much. I'll give it a shot:)

EDIT: The grids are working very well, thank you! I'm still have issues with the Grid Orientation Selection node on the move event. It works well when I first place the player. But anytime after the initial placement, the orientation wants to use the initial orientation grids from when I placed the player. No matter where I move the player on the grid. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I added the Grid Orientation Selection node at the end of the movement event.
  • Did a quick test and didn't have an issue - I just added a Grid Orientation Selection node at the end of the move command's battle event and was able to select it after movement. Naturally, the selection only pops up for player controlled combatants, all enemies and AI controlled player combatants will automatically select the orientation based on the AI settings (e.g. rotating to the nearest target).
  • edited November 2016
    Hmm, okay. I'm not sure what I may have set up incorrectly. I'll revisit the event steps in the tutorial. Though I think I used the move event from the prefabs. Anyway, I'll see what I can find. Thanks for checking that and I'll let you now what I find. :)

EDIT: No luck, I sent you a screen shot of my move event. I can send the event itself if that helps. Thanks!
  • Yeah, I confirm the same issue, but the issue is that it orients form the starting position of the move, rather than where the player ends up finishing the move.

@Squeaker: It may look like it's orienting direction from where you first placed your player because it's your first move. If you try it again on your second move you will see that it will try to orient from the starting position of that second move.
  • edited November 2016
    Here's a video showing the effect.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iecnxjoosmfpb58/2016-11-07_14-56-09.mp4?dl=0

And a screenshot showing how the node is added at the end.
    http://i.imgur.com/pp42Cun.png

PS: Is your npc enemy also not respecting the grid movement? Mine seems to be walking around as he pleases :)
    Post edited by Gregie on
  • @Gregie
    Yeah, my player orients from the start of the move not the end of the move, same as yours. Or the placement location if it's the first move of the battle after placing the player.

The screenshot of my move event I sent to GiL looks pretty much identical to yours with the orientation node at the end of the event.

As far as NPCs, I'm not having that issue. Mine seem to be doing just fine with grid movements.
  • The issue is that the combatant's cell isn't yet set when the orientation is selected. This is done at the end of the action automatically, if you need the cell updated during the event, you have to use a Set Grid Cell Combatant node.

The later grid tutorials talk about this (e.g. here) - when you need to consider the moving combatant's cell position, e.g. in active time or real time grid battles, you need to manually do this in the event.
    As long as you don't use active/real time battles, it should be enough if you just use a Set Grid Cell Combatant node before the orientation selection :)
  • edited November 2016
    I tried adding the Set Grid Cell Combatant node right before the orientation node but it is still not working correctly. Now the selection options are where the player WAS, E.g. the beginning of the movement path, not where the player ends up after the move. So the selection options are still x grids away from the player.
  • I'll need details on your settings for this node.
  • edited November 2016
    I used the default settings so it's mostly likely my bad :)?

Combatant Settings:
    Place At Cell = disabled
    Object = Actor
    Actor = User
    Child Object = left blank

Grid Cell Settings:
    Set As = Combatant
    Use Nearest Cell = disabled
    Object = Actor
    Actor = User
    Child Object = left blank

EDIT: I also tried enabling Use Nearest Cell but that didn't seem to make a difference.
  • The issue is in the Grid Cell Settings - this defines which game object is used and should have the grid cell. You'd use the cell found object you've also used for the movement, this should still have the last path cell stored.