Color me confused on this one -

As would be normal, I have a scene, several characters running around, etc.

I have a character, lets call him "Citizen 1", with an event interaction component, called "Join Test". The event is very straight forward:

1. Event Start, Actor 0 is the event object, Actor 1 is the Player
2. Add Combatant, adds a combatant of type "Follow" to Actor 0.
3. Join Active Group, adds Actor 0 to the group

Here's where things get weird. When I go up to Citizen 1 and interact with him, Citizen 6 joins my party and starts following me. If i disable Citizen 6, Citizen 5 follows me, and on and on until all the other citizens are disabled, only then does Citizen 1, the actor i am interacting with, join the party.

Thoughts?
  • Well, I both found the answer and the problem.

As discussed before for some reason ORK does not support/like combatants being anywhere except in the root.

- So, the problem is that this isn't fixed yet.
    - the reason it was happening was that it was finding the first prefab in the parent to add a combatant to
    - the answer was to move combatants to the root

This is causing a lot of problems for me because of how we are handling certain transitions. Do you think this will be addressed in the next update?
  • Why do you need them parented in the first place? The player (and group members) aren't partented to anything either.

To solve this, you'll have to unparent (Mount Object node) the game object before adding a combatant.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2016
    I can create a manager to get around this - but we have areas that get loaded together and both stay active, so say an indoor space and the exterior space. You've seen the project so you can guess what I mean by this.

When you leave the interior and go to a different interior, i need to unload the interior that is on the table (by melting, then disabling the game object) and load the other interior. So all the characters, every game object associated with that interior is a child to that interior game object. Otherwise i have a hodge podge of gameobjects that are in different areas of the game all sitting in the root. In a complex example of what we're trying to accomplish, there would literally be over 500 combatants\characters sitting in the root, most disabled, making it very difficult to work with.

Also, that, and it's just not good form in my opinion to have everything trudging around the root.

Anyways, that being said, I can write a manager that just holds a variable and checks if they need to be activated/deactivated, and moves them in and out of the parent when needed.

I think why I'm ultimately confused by this is that the object you interact with is clearly discernable, and i ran a test and the system knows what the object is, so when adding a component to it (like Add Combatant) I'm surprised it goes to the parent, instead of the event object that it found in the first place.

There is another solution to this, and thats to move the interiors to another scene, and additvely load them to the table. This way the characters can stay in the root of each scene and not bother the characters from the exterior scene
    Post edited by chud575 on