edited March 2017 in ORK Support
Is it possible to target the ground, or a spot not occupied by an object/enemy? I've been looking at Raycast to Variable, but for the life of me, I have no idea how it works. =/

I can't really find a video to demonstrate but I would think Guild War's AoE magic would be best. Unfortunately, none of the vid I found seem to do a good job of showing such.

Basically, I'm looking to throw a fireball in between 2 enemies, that results in an AoE effect that can hit both, whilst not including anyone in out of range.

I tried searching but I couldn't seem to find anything in this vein, so if there is a thread, that would work fine too.
Post edited by Kale on
  • edited February 2017
    In your ability/item, select None target range and you can set up raycast settings (even selection cursors).

For the AoE targeting, you can either use the Affect Range of the ability/item to target the combatants in range of the position, or use damage dealers/zones for damaging.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited February 2017
    Cool, thanks. I'll check that... and holy hell, I meant whilst not including anyone out of range.
    Post edited by Kale on
  • I've been playing around with it. And I can't get Affect Range to work, probably doing something horribly wrong. But I don't see many options, so I don't know what I'm missing for it.

I did get Damage Zone working though. Though I'm sort of wondering how to get AoE damage areas, for lack of a better word to show up while moving the mouse around to show what will be affected. Haven't spent much time looking yet.
  • The affect range comes into play when calculating the outcome of the ability using a Calculate node in the battle event. If you're doing damage with damage dealers/zones, you can either use a battle event to animate this (which would use a Calculate node) or e.g. spawn a prefab with a collider that has a damage zone (which needs to be activated using an Activate Damage Dealer node).

To show the AoE while selecting the target for the raycast, you'll need to use the Cursor Object settings of the raycast settings and have that area highlighted by the prefab.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2017
    Yea, I was messing around with Calculate node but I couldn't get it working, but I'm probably missing something obvious.

As for Cursor Object, I was thinking it was just to change your cursor, to a gauntlet or something. Originally I was thinking I can put an event to show it, but that didn't seem right since the events start after you click on the location.

EDIT: Starting to look around it, can't seem to get it working right, right now, it just spawns a game object where the character is.

Just in case... I'm also not using Grid. Just basic turn base battle.
    Post edited by Kale on
  • The Mouse Cursor settings are for changing the mouse cursor to something different while selecting a raycast target. The Cursor Object is for showing a prefab on the spot that was hit by the raycast.

Check if your raycast's Layer Mask is set up correctly (e.g. if the layer your ground is on is enabled).
  • Hmm...

The layers are all right, set to default, and anything that is even close to being in the way is on ignore raycast. Cept the enemy/player character. And the skill works as intended, it hits the spot I click, just not able to get a gameobject to show the area affected.

I am now thinking, and maybe I'm wrong, is that the raycast is only cast when the button is clicked?

I was previously under the impression that the ray is cast constantly or at least when the mouse position is updated and selected to be used when clicked. I didn't consider the former, because the cursor object, that is stuck on my player character made me think that something is raycasting and hitting the player. Not to mention, it disappears when I click on a target.

• edited March 2017
    Ok, seems like there's a bug - will be fixed in the next update :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited March 2017
    Oh, cool. At least I'm not completely blind.

Thanks.

EDIT: While we're on the subject, is it possible to have more than 1 cursor object or to have info sent to the cursor object? More specifically, the user's location. Latter is probably better, since with such info, that expand-ability is dependent on the script you attach to the object.
    Post edited by Kale on
  • That's currently not possible - but you can use the Highlight User settings to spawn a prefab on the user as well, maybe that helps?
  • Never thought about that... I can probably work around that with that option. I'll play around it to see.

Thanks.