Greetings,

I have a dialogue event that I would like to stop the idle animation on the actors during their conversation. For some reason I cannot get the Animation to stop. As I posted in the title I'm using the Combatant Animation event node > Animation > enabling Stop. I then selected my Idle animation from the Animation Type selection. I've tried it both on the Player and on the other combatant without success. I am using Mecanim animations. Thought I add that.

The event is set to:
Blocking Event: enabled
Block Player Control: enabled
Block Camera Control: enabled.

I've tried disabling those, even though they need to be set, just to see if that helped but it didn't seem to make a difference. Any advice would be great! :)

Thanks
  • Might be the combatant's auto animation - try using an Auto Animation node to disable auto animation on the combatant.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I tried that and it didn't work for the Idle animation, but it did stop the Walk animation. After the event ended I could see that.

I'm using the Mecanim Animator setup from the Mecanim Animations tutorial. I don't know if that gives you more information or not :)
  • If auto animations are turned off, there's no way this is coming from ORK, i.e. it has to be somewhere in your mecanim setup. Also, stopping the mecanim animation can only work if you set up some way to stop it in the ORK animation settings (e.g. setting a parameter that should stop it).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2017
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean by auto animations turned off? The walk auto animation stopped just fine. In the Animator setup, Idle is the Orange node that all the other non-auto animations return to, same as in the tutorial. And please don't think I'm blaming ORK for this or anything like that :) ORK is an amazing framework! 99% of my issues are self inflicted.

You mentioned stopping it in the ORK animation setting or possibly setting a parameter to stop the mecanim animation. Would you mind elaborating a little bit? That would be awesome! :)
    Post edited by Squeaker on
  • Like I said earlier, if you used an Auto Animation node to disable the auto animations of the combatant - that ensures that ORK auto animations (idle, walk, run, etc.) aren't fired.

If you use the Combatant Animation node to stop the idle animation and you're using Mecanim, you'll have to define how to stop the animation, i.e. define a parameter that transfers from the idle state to some stopped state in your animator controller.
  • edited April 2017
    After looking very closely at my settings in ORK and in my animator controller, it appears the Idle animation, at least in ORK is set up identically to Walk and Run.

As in the tutorial, though, the Walk and Run states do not have an transitions. The Idle state, which is the default ( as in the tutorial), has may transitions going to it from Damage, Evade, Attack etc. So I guess I'm at a loss as to why the Auto Animation node would not disable the Idle animation. Is there something else I should check?

NOTE: I can disable Walk and Run via the Auto Animation node. But not Idle.
    Post edited by Squeaker on
  • Disabling auto animations just doesn't start the animations, that doesn't prevent already playing animations from still running.

The issue is most likely that your animation controller is just staying on the idle animation. I.e. you need a transition from the idle to some kind of stop/frozen animation state and add that either as a stop animation or as stop settings in your idle animation in ORK (and play the stop animation or stop the idle animation).
  • Ok cool, got it finally. I made an 'empty' animation state called Stop with a transition going to it but not from it. And I made a parameter named 'stop' and added it to the Stop Parameter in ORK. That works great. One small thing I would like to do is transition / fade the stop so it doesn't jerk to a stop if that makes sense? Is there a way to do that?
  • Shouldn't that be done by the transition?
  • Yeah, you're right :) For some reason my mind was stuck on an ORK-centric solution.