edited April 2017 in ORK Support
the plan: the player has an Ability called "Lock Pick". every enterable building has a "Lock Level" setting. if the player's lock pick Ability level is greater than the building's lock level he gets in, otherwise he has to wait until the Ability has levelled up

well, that was the plan, but i can't for the life of me see how you can do a check on a particular Ability level

in the end i created a "Larceny" Status, which i was able to find out how to check against, but i feel sure that it must be a simple thing to check an Ability level in the same way, and i'm just not seeing it
Post edited by HarryOminous on
  • If I am not mistaken, use the Check Status node.
    In the status needed, put in Ability.
    Selection is your Lock Pick ability.
    Define the lvl and all that.
  • edited April 2017
    thanks for the reply

that seemed like it was the answer, but the problem is that i want to be able to check what level the ability is currently at, and as far as i can see, the check status node only allows you to hardcode a level into the check. so, you'd have to have a node to check against every possible building level, which is feasible (as long as i only implement a limited number of building lock levels) but messy

the way i've currently got it, i use the "status value to variable" node to store the status level, and then check that. but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a similar "ability level to variable" option
  • edited April 2017
    Ahh yeah, that's true. I don't see any options for that. Awaiting for the expert, GiL, to come :)
    Post edited by Shadow_Fire on
  • The status requirements (e.g. Check Status node) checks for minimum available level, i.e. if you check for your lockpick ability level 5, it'll be valid for level 5, 6, 7, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2017
    yeah, i can see that, but (unless i'm missing something blindingly obvious) that only allows me to compare the ability level with a numeric constant

but what i want to do is compare the ability level against the buildingLockLevel variable (which is attached to every unique, enterable, building, and which is passed into the event), i.e.

if (lockpickAbilityLevel > buildingLockLevel) {enter building} else {fail}

as it happens, i'm only planning on having a fairly small range of buildingLockLevels, so i could implement the thing with a Game Variable Fork, and test each buildingLockLevel one at a time against the user's lockpickAbilityLevel to see whether or not he gets in, but that kinda feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut

• I see what you're getting at - yeah, that's currently not possible, only against defined numbers.

You'd have to either set up an event for each lock level or first check an object variable on the lock for the level and do the fixed level check afterwards ...
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2017
    ok, thanks. as long as i know it's not something stoopid i've overlooked, i'll just restrict the number of building lock levels that can exist in the game, and hardcode checks against each one