edited May 2017 in ORK Support
i know that events have a "set after event" capability to set data items after they've finished, but, how do you set up the data they need before they even start?

for example, i want to tell battle start events whether they're going to happen in-place or on a different screen, and if the latter, the name of the scene to use

or, i want to tell hotel events what the base cost of staying at that particular hotel is, etc etc

at the moment what i'm doing is to enclose the core event inside a dummy event which has a collider which is slightly larger than the core event's, set the dummy event to "trigger enter", and then set the data needed by the core event there

but, it's a cumbersome and messy way of doing it, and there's always the chance that the dummy trigger event might get bypassed by a fast-moving object so that the core event gets executed with the wrong set of data, and i feel that there must be a better solution. but, what?
Post edited by HarryOminous on
  • There's nothing like that available in ORK, but it's a feature available in Makinom.

In case this'd be valid for the whole scene (e.g. the hotel price), you can use a Variable Event component with start type Autostart to set global variables when the scene loads.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • thanks for the reply gil

yeah, for things like the hotels i'd have preferred to give each one its own individual tariff, but the way i'm currently handling them is the way you suggested - setting a scene-wide tariff used by all the hotels in that scene, when the scene loads. unfortunately, for other things, like telling battle events whether they're to happen in-place or in a different scene, that's just not possible, it has to be done per individual battle event

not sure that i really want to add another layer of complexity to my current project by adding MAKINOM into the mix at this stage (as the project's actually fairly advanced right now), and to be honest if it wasn't that i've already used the event system fairly extensively in the project, so it'd be a PITA to replace it, i'd be tempted to ditch it and replace it with a more conventionally scripted system - something i guess most of the old hands at ork do anyway

when i get to my next project (which i'm already planning) (no wonder i so rarely finish any of these games), i'll look into MAKINOM, as well as how easy it would be to go down the fully scripted interface route

• Alternatively, you could also use object game variables on the game objects with the event/battle to have individual values defined for each of them.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • thanks gil

it took me a little while to suss out how to use them (i couldn't at first figure out how to tell the event: "i'm only interested in data from this single object"), but once i'd done that, and run some tests to make sure it worked with my current set of in-game scenarios, then this is a far cleaner method of passing data than the one i'd been using before