• Most of the things in Unity (and ORK) depend on frames. What's your use case that you'd need more in regards to the ATB timebar?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • It's hard to explain, I'd need more ticks per seconds. Let me try :

So let's say the max time bar is 250 and there's 25 ticks per seconds (the maximum). I have a combatant who is a world class athlete, his speed is 10, so it takes him 1 sec to have his turn. So if he met a superhuman with a speed of 20, that would still work, the superhuman would take his turn every 0.5 sec.

But the thing is I'm not just making a game, I'm making a combat engine for many games, so it has to be flexible and have little limitations. So what if my combatant meets a robot with a speed of 300? Essentially the maximum speed is 250, because a single tick would give 250 to the timebar. Even a speed of 126 starts to break, because there's no difference between speed 126 and 249, they just take 2 ticks.

And since there are real time elements in my system, I can't just trick it by making the maximum time bar higher, because then everything will slow down. But if I could set it to like 1000 ticks per seconds, then the maximum speed of a combatant would be 40 times higher, without having to change the pace of the game.
  • Hm ... well, even if you could do that, it wouldn't make much difference. The actions are also bound to frames (and updated by them), as are most other things in Unity/ORK.

I think you should use the real time battle system. You can make a custom timebar using a status value (consumable + max value) and the Status Value Time Changes in the combatant's settings.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks GIL, that sounds like a good idea, but if I make a custom timebar in real time system, would I have the same problem? Is real time based on frame rate also?
  • Well ... most of the things are based on frame rate in Unity and ORK. Even if you'd write a custom system to fire actions between frames, they're still performed and udpated based on frames, so you'll not have any noticable difference ...
  • Thanks GIL, for now it will be fine, I'll find a hack around this down the line :D
  • Hi Gil,

I have a problem with the "store formula value" node. I want a formula to increase a game variable attached to a target combatant every time it's called.

So I put the "store formula value" at the end of the formula, set the variable origin to object, status origin to target, variable key to a name of an attached game var of the target combatant. But when I put the operator to add, it uses "set" instead. I tried other operators, and it seems to always use "set" no matter what. Is this a bug or I'm missing something.

I tried the change game variable node as a workaround to use the stored current result of the formula into a variable, but I can't use it because it only allows global variables.
  • Yep, that's a bug, will be fixed in the next update :)
  • Thanks GIL!
  • Hi GIL,

I got a problem with abilities. Any new abilities I create don't show up in the game. They dont show up in the battle menu, in the shortcut HUD, or in the abilities menu, nowhere. Even if I list all abilities, or list them by ability types, they dont show up. They show up everywhere in the editor but not in game. I tried deleting all ability types and all abilities, and making new ones... then no abilities were showing up.

Also, I clicked to update everything(events, prefabs, scenes) on save, and I got 1 red error and 4 yellow ones. No idea if they actually cause the problem though, might be unrelated:

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Red :

Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'ptr->GetHideFlags() == m_RequiredHideFlags'
    0x000000014098D85B (Unity) StackWalker::GetCurrentCallstack

yellow:

Something happened while updating Fireball (UnityEngine.GameObject), this prefab maybe wasn't updated successfully.
    Less than 0 or more than list count.
    Parameter name: index

Something happened while updating FireSwordPrefab (UnityEngine.GameObject), this prefab maybe wasn't updated successfully.

Something happened while updating LongSwordPrefab (UnityEngine.GameObject), this prefab maybe wasn't updated successfully.

Something happened while updating ShortSwordPrefab (UnityEngine.GameObject), this prefab maybe wasn't updated successfully.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you think causes this? Thanks.
  • Does your combatant know the ability?
  • Lol... no... that was it :D

I got distracted by these errors thinking they were the cause, and I forgot the most important simple stupid step. How do I fix these though? What do they mean?
  • Well, they mean what they tell you, i.e. updating those prefabs caused an error and you should check if their settings are still correct.
  • Yeah figured as much... but this red error : Assertion failed: Assertion failed on expression: 'ptr->GetHideFlags() == m_RequiredHideFlags'
    0x000000014098D85B (Unity) StackWalker::GetCurrentCallstack

is popping randomly, do you have any idea?
  • No, not really ...