I'd like to have my player's prefab in the the top corner of the screen within a circle I've made. I have no issues showing the prefab within a render texture but it seems my Mask Material (under Combatants > Combatants > Portraits) isn't masking the render texture properly within a circle maks I made.

What should the settings for the Mask Material be shader-wise and image-wise? I've tried different images (no alpha, with alpha, b/w, inverted, etc.) and different shader types for the Mask Material to no avail yet.

Thanks for any tips!
Post edited by FancyFerretStudios on
  • Congratulations, you've found a bug :D
    It's an issue when showing a portrait as a HUD element, which ignores the mask material.

Will be fixed in the next update :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok, thanks for the clarification! I tinkered with it way too long and finally decided to ask, ha!
  • I'm back messing with prefab portrait masks and have had a great deal of trouble with this.

Only through a lot of trial and error did I get a material/shader combo to seem to actually mask the prefab camera and it was by using accidentally trying a material that has an unlit dissolve shader. The shader uses my mask texture as the alpha and when the dissolve is applied I get the mask shape I want.

All other sprite or UI materials seem to ignore any alpha masks of any sort whether they're grayscale or actual alpha channel. I've tried a variety of sprite alpha settings, material combinations, etc.

Is there a specific material/shader like UI/Default, UI/Unlit/Transparent, Sprites/Default, etc. or setting I'm overlooking here?

• edited June 2018
    Hm, I'm not really a shader expert, but you can't use just any shader for a mask material (AFAIK).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok, I see after closer examination of the actual ORK canvas object that is created at runtime that I am approaching this wrong.

I was assuming the prefab view works like a standard canvas Image object with the Mask script attached like below.

However, since it's a Raw Image from a Render Texture, it must use a Material that has a shader with the right alpha setup apparently.

• For anyone needing custom masks for Prefab Views, this simple shader works as an alpha mask when applied to a material then dropped into the Prefab View settings.

Shader "MaskedTexture"
    {
    Properties
    {
    _Mask ("Culling Mask", 2D) = "white" {}
    _Cutoff ("Alpha cutoff", Range (0,1)) = 0.1
    }
    SubShader
    {
    Tags {"Queue"="Transparent"}
    Lighting Off
    ZWrite Off