Hello!

First of all, thank you so much for making ORK, it is such an incredible tool!

I'm wondering how I can scale pixel fonts. I'm not very familiar with the Unity font system and I acquired this pack here: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/fonts/pixel-art-fonts-42363

It seems that these fonts have fixed sizes and the only way to scale them is to actually scale their sprites, which as far as I'm aware of there is no option in ORK? The "font size" option doesn't work at all with these (and other) pixel fonts.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • If font size isn't used by those fonts, I guess you can say that they're not supported :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok, I'll dig around and see if I can find a workaround.

Bitmap font support could be a great addition in the future, should help making retro looking RPGs much easier :)
  • I did some more research on this problem and I found some new information.

First of all, let me show what I'm going for. I want to have 100% crisp text, that means, the alpha is either 0 or 1, no inbetween values. As an example, here's a screenshot from a Master System game:

The first thing that I tried was to get a "pixel looking" dynamic font from Da Font. This is OK for prototyping for now, but there's no way to force Unity to render dynamic text as 1 bit. No matter what font size I try, there's always some ghosting:

It just looks nasty...

In another project, where I'm using bitmap fonts, I'm able to get exactly what I want by using the scale parameters instead, since "font size" doesn't do anything with that type of font. Look how crisp it looks, so beautiful!

The font settings are as following:

I'm no expert on the Unity UI (far from it) but it seems like the only option I need to be able to get the exact same effect with ORK is to have access to the scale options. This would be a god send to anyone looking to make retro looking games!
  • Will look into that for future updates.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Awesome, thank you much!