And here it is: release notes

Additionally, a new how-to and gameplay tutorial on the new quest system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next update brings:
  • Combatants: Auto Attacks
    The new Target Type setting for auto attacks will let you select what targets will be used for auto attacks - either all combatants, or limiting it to selected group or individual targets (or both).
    E.g. limiting auto attacks to individual targets allows a 'click to attack' style gameplay.
  • Event System: Dialogue Steps
    The different dialogue steps can optionally output the dialogue's message to the console.
  • Combatants
    The spawned prefab of a killed combatant can optionally remain in the game.
  • Event System: Wait For Input Fork
    A new fork step to wait for the player to input one of multiple buttons - the first button that's pressed will execute it's next step.
  • Battle Events: End Phase
    The new End Phase step will let the current phase end after the action finished.
    Naturally, that's only possible in Phase battles :)
  • Battle AI
    End Phase setting available in all action steps - the current phase will end after the action finished.
  • Status Values
    The new Start Value settings for Consumable type status values allow setting a different start value if needed. By default, they're set to 100 %, but you can also set them to stuff like 50 %, or simply 1 :)
  • Menu Settings, GUI Boxes
    Unfocused boxes can optionally also display the choice selection icon.
  • Notifications
    Stuff like area notifications or battle infos (e.g. X uses item Y) can now optionally be queued. New messages will be displayed after the currently displayed finished displaying instead of replacing them immediately.
    Also, area notifications can now play a sound :)
  • Inventory Notifications
    If the player's inventory changes (e.g. adding/removing an item, or if something can't be added when the inventory is full) can now optionally display notification dialogues (the usual popups :D).
  • Status Effects
    Removing a status effect from a combatant can now also display a battle text notification like when it's added.
  • Main Menu
    Stopping the music when starting a new game is now optional (and by default enabled).
    So, you can now handle how the main menu scene's music is handled in the start event if you want.
  • Vector3 Game Variables
    Advanced Vector3 operations available when changing game variables: Add, Sub, Set, Cross, Min, Max, Scale, Project and Reflect.
    This is available throughout the entire framework.
  • Event System: Status Steps
    The new Initialize To Level step allows initializing a combatant or group to a defined level and class level. All previous progress will be lost when initializing a level.
  • Event System: Statistic Steps
    The Clear Statistic step can now optionally only set a selected statistic value to 0.
    The new Check Statistic step checks a selected statistic value against a number.
    The new Statistic To Variable step stores a statistic value into a float game variable.
  • Event System: Movement Steps
    The new Transform To Variable step stores a transform's position, rotation or scale into a Vector3 game variable.
Also, I'm currently working on a new sub-system for ORK Framework, more details on this soon :)

---------------------

Here are some first details on the new sub-system:

It'll be a shiny new Quest System - I'll just get into some basic information, more details on everything next week :)
While you could already do a lot of things solely with the event system and logs, the new quest system will make things a lot easier.

As usual, quests are separated into different quest types. A quest itself consists of at least one quest task. You can define rewards (experience and items/equipment/currency) for quests and also quest tasks. Once the player gets a new quest, the quest's tasks are automatically available due to their requirements (e.g. task C gets available when task B has been finished). Also, tasks can monitor their own progress (like kill 5 monsters, collect 3 items, etc - I'm open for suggestions :D), and optionally be automatically completed once they've reached the requirements.

So far, that's the basics on the new quest system - of course, there'll be integration into menu system, HUDs and the event system :)
You'll still have to do things like dialogues and starting the actual quest in the event system.

----------------------

Quest System news

Most of the system is already finished - I'm now starting to work on the HUD integration.
I've already explained the basics (types, quests, tasks, auto completion, etc.), so here are some more details:
  • A quest has a text that can be used to explain the quest - this text can optionally be updated by the quest's tasks (similar to log texts) by adding to or replacing previous texts.
  • There's a broad range of notifications and console output for quest/task status changes (e.g. new quest added, task finished, etc.).
  • Lots of new event steps for quests, changing/checking the status of a quest or task (also status forks), a new dialogue step to display a quest's information (with complex layout options - also there's a default layout for these things to use everywhere).
  • All interactions (e.g. event interaction, item collector) can now check for quest/task status (like with variable conditions).
  • The new quest menu part allows displaying the quests (like the log menu part), also you can optionally set a quest active/inactive in the menu. Inactive quests will disable the automation processes (e.g. auto completion, updating task progress).
And that's it for now - the HUD will be pretty straight forward, displaying a list of active quests with the current tasks :)

Release of the new version probably by the end of next week - also, due to pretty big system update, I'll change the version number from 2.0.10 to 2.1.0 :D

----------------------

Quest System news

Well, the quest system is fully integrated - lots of new stuff everywhere.
The Quest HUD can display a list of quests and their tasks with some filters (e.g. which quest types and statuses will be displayed) and display options (e.g. displaying the list top to bottom or left to right).
Also, for starters, when clicking on a quest (header), the task list can be toggled on/off - clicking on a task can toggle the task's navigation markers on/off. Speaking of them - quest tasks can also have navigation markers to guide the player to the task's objective (used by Navigation HUDs).
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thank you GIL :) , so ORK 2.1 will bring a lot of new stuff i think can't wait to learn more :)
  • I'm always impressed by your productivity!
    And I can't wait to know more about this sub system :)
  • Impressive, you're already working on a new update. Can't wait to hear more about this sub system too.
  • edited April 2014
    Sub-system! Eagerly waiting for details. :D
    Post edited by Kirb on
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Looking for the new sub-system.

On the other hand, UMA implementation is still in the works?

Thanks a lot :)
  • Here are some first details on the new sub-system:

It'll be a shiny new Quest System - I'll just get into some basic information, more details on everything next week :)
    While you could already do a lot of things solely with the event system and logs, the new quest system will make things a lot easier.

As usual, quests are separated into different quest types. A quest itself consists of at least one quest task. You can define rewards (experience and items/equipment/currency) for quests and also quest tasks. Once the player gets a new quest, the quest's tasks are automatically available due to their requirements (e.g. task C gets available when task B has been finished). Also, tasks can monitor their own progress (like kill 5 monsters, collect 3 items, etc - I'm open for suggestions :D), and optionally be automatically completed once they've reached the requirements.

So far, that's the basics on the new quest system - of course, there'll be integration into menu system, HUDs and the event system :)
    You'll still have to do things like dialogues and starting the actual quest in the event system.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Wow, that does make things pretty easy!
  • An improved quest system sounds great!

It would be wonderful if we could import/export quests and dialogs in some way. Then writers could work on the quest and story elements and export them to me, the game developer.
  • edited May 2014
    I have a request from a betatester of ORK1 that open quests be shown in one menu and completed quests in another. Actually he asked that only open quests be shown but I think the player would like to know which ones he/she's finished.

That would be very helpful in ORK2. If you could show open quests and completed quests in separate menus. Click on Quests and have two categories---open and completed. Or one list that shows them open or completed with a check box or something but not just text to let you know it's done. : )

Thanks. That's the only complaint anyone has ever thrown at me regarding quests.

Maybe it's already in there in ORK2 as you know I'm still using 1 so just commenting then. : )
    Post edited by Catacomber on
  • Not yet in there, but will be part of the new quest system's menu stuff :)

More details within the next days!
  • Any ETA on 2.0.10, GiL? Very excited for it (and the fixes especially!)
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • I'd say about 1-2 weeks ... haven't had that much time lately, the quest system is already implemented, but all the other sub-system connections (menu, HUDs, etc.) are still on the way :)
  • is it possible in the upcoming quest enhancements to have main quests and daily quests? I have seen this in f2p game Wartune and is effective because its easy to get blocked on main quest series but daily quests mean there is always a reward of some type on offer to active players.
  • Can be done with the new quest system (and could already be done with the current system) - but there is currently no way to check the real time (or time since last play, etc.).
    You'd need to script this function yourself, but you can implement it easily in the event system with the Check Function step.

I'll add functionality to work with the real (system) time to the event system to allow those things in one of the next updates.