edited November 2013 in ORK Support
GiL, I found 4 problems in the jumping part. I assigned Jump to the Vertical key, enable the use jump box in my player control, created a jump animation in base/control in the animation section, and when I press up, my character jump, but something happen. My jumping animation is suppose to first start with the character bending his knees before jumping, but the problem is that he will jump instantly and the bending his knee will start WHILE in the air.

The second one is if I try jumping two times in a row without moving, the second time my jump will end with the character still floating in the air, and it'll only go back down if I try moving the character.

The third one is that when I run and press jump, it won't jump while moving, it'll just momentarily pause and jumping straight up and come back down to almost the same spot.

The fourth one is that it will not jump over or on top of any obstacle that is high. I created a flat floating cube and tried to jump over it. He can jump higher then the cube, but he refused to jump onto the cube (I'm thinking this might be tied to the problem of jumping up only instead of jumping up and forward). It worked if I lower the floating cube to almost touching the ground but while it work, my character will float above the cube until I move him.

Do you have any ideas what happen?
Post edited by gamingislove on
  • The first problem (bending the knee) is simply because the jump will perform right away ... I'll add a time setting to delay the actual jump.

For the rest - can you send me a small project with your setup to contact@orkframework.com? That'd be the easiest way to see/fix the problems :D
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks! I've sent you the project.
    In the scene I've set two flat cubes for you to test it on.
    Thanks for your time!
    Post edited by Shadow_Fire on
  • Your player jumps higher then the cube because your jump animation is also moving the model upwards, but the character controller doesn't jump that high.
    You need to change your jump animation to not move the model vertically but stay at the place. Otherwise the collider and model position wont be the same.

The rest will be solved in the next udpate :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks, GiL, you're the best!
    I'll wait for the next update. Thanks for telling me about the jump animation too high too.

I also notice something weird about the controller. When I run forward and then press to run back instantly, instead of turning back instantly, the character will make a u-turn first. If I'm in a narrow space, my character will just make a u-turn and fall off. Is there any way to stop the U-turn?
  • Play around with the rotation speed setting of the player controls :)
  • edited November 2013
    Sweeet! That work. You're the man.

(Sorry for asking another question, I just don't want to create another thread that will just spam the support section)

I've looked around in the kit but can't seem to find this option. The ability to jump further when in sprint mode. For example, I have a huge gap, and to make it, you have to sprint and jump. As of now, running to jumping and sprinting to jumping both results in the same distance.
    Is there currently a way to do this?

And the ability to go with a moving object. Ex: I'm on top of a flat cube and it trigger it to move up. As of now, if I create an event that will trigger the cube to move up, my character will not stay on it, the cube will just leave the character behind. I think it has something to do with the character being an object of the cube when moving, but I can't find that option.

(Sorry for asking too many questions XD)
  • If you have special needs to your player controls it's best if you use your own control scripts. ORK's built in controls are pretty basic :)

To use any kind of player (or camera) control, simply let ORK know the name of the component in the game controls. ORK will automatically enable/disable the component when needed.

To go with the moving object, you should parent (mount) your player on the object. Use the Mount Object step in the event system (found in Function Steps) - and don't forget to unmount your player again :D
  • edited November 2013
    Thanks very much for the info on adding our own control scripts!

And about the sprint and jump. It's not really any special needs for the player control. I'm thinking of more like an ability. Like for example: The ability to double jump. If I learn a scroll for double jump, the second jump will activate with a key only if in jump motion. Or is that still tie up to the player control?

I just want to know if that is possible without the need to create a different control. If it is, sweet, I have no problem finding or creating an external controller, but if its possible within Ork, sweet too, I don't need to do the extra work.

Thanks!
  • Well, that would be all part of the player controls - I could implement those things, but that's something for after the beta :)

Since every game is different, and most of them have their own (unique) controls, it's best to create your own control script that really behaves the way you want it to.
  • edited November 2013
    True, it's best to create our own script. But to a 3d modeler like me, I wouldn't be able to write such a controller script even if my life depend on it XD. But I'm also learning day by day. Thanks for the consideration. I'll wait till the beta is over to ask you :)

Edit : Resolved!
This discussion has been closed.