I'm having trouble getting an AOE ability to work properly. I'm trying to set it up to target a location instead of a combatant. The ability works just fine when it's targeting a combatant but it won't go off without a combatant as it's target. Is there a tutorial for creating this sort of ability? It's in a turn based (but not grid battle!) battle system.
  • The ability's Target Range has to be set to None, this makes the Raycast Settings available.

Enabling Use Target Raycast will let you define the specifics (e.g. which layers can be hit, spawning a cursor prefab, etc.). The Use Range will be used from the point that was hit by the raycast and select combatants within that range.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Alright. I've got those things set up and right now the ability will shoot a fireball from my user character straight forward in the direction he's aiming and blow up when it hits something. Which is pretty sweet. But I'm having trouble getting ground targeting to work based on the mouse. I would like it to be like... you press the button to activate the ability and it creates a ground targeting reticent wherever the mouse is, then you click to confirm or do something else to cancel, then it shoots the fireball to that location. Use Mouse Position is checked under Ai/Auto-Target settings, as is Only Player (mouse) but it doesn't seem to be using my mouse's location or spawning a cursor object.
  • Wait. I got it to target the location of my mouse instead of just shoot straight forward... but now it doesn't ever seem to do any damage?
  • Nvm! I got it!
  • So - any questions left? :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yeah, I got it to target the location of my mouse and deal damage based on that location. It casts on the input key up. I'd like it to display a targeting reticle in game wherever the raycast is aiming to show where the ability is going to go, like aiming an AOE or Skillshot ability in League of Legends. Use Cursor is on and I've got a prefab selected, and mouse cursor cursor mode is set to auto. But it's not displaying the prefab.
  • edited October 2019
    The mouse cursor settings are just for changing the cursor/icon of the mouse, so they don't influence this.

Are you using mouse/touch control or input keys for targeting?

Edit: Ok, there's definitely an issue - seems like you currently need to use mouse/touch control, only using input keys for targeting is using the ability immediately. Will be fixed in the next update.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • I'm using mouse/touch control for targeting but input keys to activate the ability.
  • Hm, in that case the cursor should be displayed at whatever is hit by the raycast at the mouse cursor's position.