• Not out of the box, that's something you'd have to do in your battle events that animate the action, e.g. checking the target's attributes and showing a dialogue (e.g. autoclose or notification) for that, or a flying text.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited August 2020
    Which node would I use in the battle event to check a target's attributes and compare them against the user? I had tried searching and didn't find anything.

I wanted to lay out a couple different questions I had regarding certain mechanics I'm trying to implement as well.

1. I'm trying to have my monster "evolve" through an event. I know I can change the prefab, but won't this carry over the exact same skills, stats and such? For instance one first stage has certain attributes, while the evolution has different attributes. How do I go about changing it to a different combatant, yet holding onto certain stats like levels and experience? Or would I just be better off changing the attributes somehow.

2. When capturing another monster and adding it to my group, I wanted to know if there was a good way to check my group size and then replace a monster if it was full.

For example, I only want my player to be able to have 4 monsters max in their party at a given time. If I capture an enemy combatant I want to replace one of my current 4 if it is maxed out, or just add it to the group if the current amount of monsters in my party is less than 4.

Is this possible to do?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Post edited by supportreport1 on
  • It's the almighty Check Status node :)

1) Well, you either change the existing combatant, e.g. adding/removing abilities, changing status values (via Change Status Value node), etc., or you remove the combatant and add a new one and add things the previous combatant had that you want to keep.
    Both will need you to set that up manually in an event, checking and changing things on your old and new combatant.

2) That's probably best handled via selected data. Use a Select Combatant node to get all combatants in a group, a Selected Data Count node to check the number of stored combatants and (if the group is full) a Selected Data Choice to let the player decide which combatant to remove.
    The rest is handled by the usual group nodes (which can e.g. use the selected combatant from the choice to remove it).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited August 2020
    The Status Checking for the moves doing Effective and Ineffective Damage works wonderfully, thank you very much.

1. Trying to figure out the event system for this one currently. I guess I can't manage to figure out how to select one of my combatants from my chosen group to "evolve" through an event. I assume it is a Select Combatant Node, followed by Selected Data Choice to choose which one to evolve? But not every monster will evolve, so is there a way to limit this at all? I'm wondering if I would be better off using the conditional prefab function, but can you tie that system to an event?

To further explain, what I'm trying to do is have my player need to go to a specific location in order to evolve their monster. I want to trigger this with an event and by them selecting the desired combatant from a list.

2. Trying to work this one out as well right now. So for my item that will be adding the combatant to the group I've got the formula for capture > Select Combatant node to get all group members > Selected Data Count Less to a value of 4 :

Success > Join Active Group
    Failed > Selected Data Choice

Would this be correct?
    I've been trying to work out the Join Active Group node as well, it won't let me select any combatant to join other than predefined ones. Is there any way to setup this as using the Target? I see the Group Combatant Object settings to change it to a Actor and use the Target, but won't that just add the combatant to my enemy?

Thanks so very much for all your help. These are the last two mechanics I will need for my title.

• 1) Depends on how you want to limit it - the Select Combatant node has filter options to check for status/variable conditions before adding a combatant to the list.
    Conditional prefabs also work based on status/variable conditions, so if you want to change the appearance, you could e.g. add a (hidden) ability/effect, change an object variable on the combatant, etc.

2) Enable the Use Game Object setting in the Join Active Group node, which lets you use e.g. an actor (where you can use the selected data). Which group is joined is handled by the Group Origin, which defaults to the Active Player Group, so the selected combatant (game object) will join the player group.
  • edited August 2020
    1. Slowly but surely working this one out. I have it set to only pick from combatants in my group that have a hidden ability tied to evolving. That way the conditional prefab will activate upon adding this ability in an event by selecting that combatant.

My next question regarding this is, how do you go about defining certain changes for specific combatants here? As it stands it seems this event will be too general. I have different combatants that will need separate status values changed. Like for example at the end of this if I were to put a Change Status Value of 10% HP it would apply to every single monster right? I just am wondering if I can define certain Status Value changes per combatant here.

Additionally, I want to (if I can) setup an animation that plays changing one prefab to the other. Is this possible to trigger also within this event through selected data?

2. Wow that was quite the event to put together but it works for the most part. One quick hangup though, on the Selected Data Choice it appears to not show any choices for me. This has to be some setting I have in the Selected Data Choice I imagine as it counts my group size in the selected combatant node accurately. Wouldn't the selected Data Choices show up the same way as dialogue choices would in a GUI box? Mine just don't pop up for whatever reason.
  • 1) I think the easiest way to do this is via custom combatant events.

Create a game event that does the status/ability/whatever changes you want for a combatant and add it in the combatant's settings in Base Settings > Game Event Settings > Custom Events.

Custom combatant events are identified via an event key, e.g. use the key 'evolve' to identify it. You can start the custom event via a Custom Combatant Event node, where you'd use the combatant that should evolve and the key of the event (e.g. 'evolve').

This will use the game event assigned to the combatant, doing the changes you want for that combatant :)

2) Hm, if there are no choices, I assume that the selected data doesn't contain anything.
    Visually it would just look like a regular choice dialogue. You can use a Selected Data Count node to check the number of things stored in the selected key you're using and e.g. add some debug output to notify yourself that it doesn't contain anything.
  • edited August 2020
    1. I've got everything setup with the custom events. I went to go and test it now and my Choice Dialogue box doesn't pop up for some reason. When I load the scene that holds the event that will auto popup with a dialogue choice, it freezes unity altogether. Do you know why that would be? Here is my event settings: https://imgur.com/a/aoZk7Cy

The choice dialogue works well in other events I've used, I'm not sure what would be the culprit.

2. I messed around with it a little bit and it is now working near perfectly. The only hangup that I still have is the player has the option now to remove the monster who is currently in battle as that is part of the overall party. The issue is that when they do this, it treats it as a game over, is there any workaround for this? I thought about possibly ending the battle earlier but that would load another scene. Any thoughts on a possible solution? EDIT: Upon searching, found out about the Cancel Battle End node here and now working perfectly.

2.5 Also I was trying to in the capture event store the selected monster's name to remove as a variable and then reference that in a dialogue. I tried storing it as a game variable and referencing it through the data game variable string but it wouldn't show up in my dialogue. Do you know what may be the problem or have a different way of doing this?

For example this is what I had in the message box: "Really part ways with #varstringmythonpart# and add #actor.name1# to your Party?"

Thanks so much for your help, can't say that enough.
  • 1) Hm, if it's working elsewhere correctly, it might be due to where/how it's used in that case.
    What's the environment like here - since you mention loading a scene where it should auto pop up, it could be due to something happening here, or e.g. the event being blocked due to the scene load coming from another blocking event, etc.

Also, do you get any error messages in the Unity console? Freezing might be due to an error, or somehow changing the Unity time scale to 0, e.g. due to pausing the game.

2.5) Is the name stored into a global string variable?
  • edited September 2020
    1) Taking a closer look and upon messing around with it, it appears the GUI box associated with the dialogue is what is making Unity Freeze? It sadly doesn't give me an error message, it forces me to force close Unity altogether as I get no response from it at all. Any idea why that may be? Swapping back to a different GUI box makes it become a nonissue and works smoothly. The good news is that the event itself works like we discussed using Custom Combatant Events for the Evolution. So all works out there, if needed I guess I will just redo the GUI box for this menu.

2.5) Yes I was storing the selected data into a global variable string called mythonpart, and then attempting to call it with the message #varstringmythonpart#, but after trying it multiple ways I still can't get it to pull the combatant name.

To break down what I was doing fully: In my "Selected Data Choice" node I was using the Store Selected Data as a Game Variable with the value of mythonpart. Then in the dialogue was using that message to try and refer to it.

3) Is there a way to link up and spawn a Prefab upon swapping a party member? I want an effect playing rather than my combatant just appearing. Would this be done under the Spawn Events in battle?

4) I was really hoping I wasn't going to have to bug you about this since you've been so helpful. But I've got a shop added into my game, and it works wonderfully the only issue is the quantity selection. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be taking my selected GUI box settings? I've been banging my head at trying to figure this one out. I have it set to take settings from a specific GUI box, but it only takes the options for the Buttons. For the actual text lines that appear in the shops quantity selection, it appears to draw from some other settings entirely not matching up with the style I have chosen. Any idea why this may be? I had the Text Size settings in the wrong GUI box. A different issue has came up though although I think I may know what the culprit is.

I have my game setup to use hover cursor selection, the issue with the quantity menu though is it seems to disregard these settings and always have the confirm button selected rather than letting me mouse over select increase and decrease for my item quantity.

Do you believe this is a GUI bound issue or would be a Base Skin issue as I'm using Legacy GUI.

Thanks very much GIL.
  • edited September 2020
    1) If Unity freezes completely and you have to kill it, it's probably something that's causing a loop somewhere, e.g. a loop in an event or formula, or an event getting called again and again, crashing Unity.
    If you're using new UI, it might be something on the prefabs used by the GUI box (if it uses its own prefabs).

2.5) Huh ... what? That's not how that works :D
    The Selected Data Choice will store the selected combatant into another selected data (via a selected key). If you want to have that combatant's name in a variable, use a Store Selected Data Content node.

3) If it's in battle, switching combatants (via the Change Member action) uses the Retreat Animation for the combatant that's leaving and the Enter Battle Animation for the new combatant.
    Outside battle, you could handle the switching via a global event (e.g. started via an input key) instead of the member switch keys and use that to animate it.

4) The quantity selection uses the ok/cancel buttons, not choice buttons, i.e. there's no 'selected choice' available in that way. Also, regardless of using cursor selection or not, if a GUI box displays choices, one is always selected (usually the 1st one, unless a previous selection is remembered, e.g. in menus).
    A selected choice is btw. highlighted in ORK using the Selected Choice GUI skin setting when using legacy GUI :)
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited September 2020
    1) Thanks for the clarification. I am using Legacy UI and I didn't seem to notice anything different from the previous events where my Dialogue Choice worked so it's peculiar. Will just redo the GUI Box for this one.

2.5) Ah okay I was completely off then, I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. So the Selected Data is Stored with a Key then you use that key in the Store Selected Data Content Node to assign it to a Game Variable with a different name that you would then use in the Dialogue if you wanted to call it? Just trying to make sure I understand this.

3) So if I'm understanding right, there is no way to spawn a Prefab Effect separate from my combatant unless I do it via global input key event? I have Entry and Retreat Animations in place for the actual combatant, I just was hoping to apply a Prefab Effect I had made that would appear when the monster enters the field.

Another question relating to the changing of members, is there a method to make this not take turn order into account and always go first? If my enemy combatant is "faster" it deals the attack damage and then swaps rather than swapping initially before the attack.

4) Oh my misunderstanding, I thought that the Increase and Decrease buttons essentially did function as choice buttons. I have the settings in my game setup so when I click anywhere it will treat it as an accept input, but you need to be hovering over a button to make it active and select it. The problem here is that when trying to increase / decrease via button click it accepts the purchase/selling of the item rather than increasing or decreasing the quantity and then allow you to hover over the ok/cancel buttons to click and accept.

• 2.5) You can use the same key for selected data and variables - they're separate systems. Selected data can hold things like game objects, items, combatants, components, etc., while variables just hold certain values (bool, string, float, Vector3).
    Since you want to use the name via text codes, you need to store the name from the combatant in the selected data into a string variable.

3) I'm not sure which one you're now talking about ... switching group members in battle already offers all the things you need via the retreat and enter battle animations, where you can spawn prefabs, etc.
    The global events would only be used if you switch the player in the field and want to animate it.

Monsters entering the field - are you talking about combatant spawners? Well, they just spawn the combatant, i.e. it just appears. You can use game events instead of combatant spawners if you want to animate that.

Or, if you talk about the start of the battle, that can be animated in the battle start event.

Next update will actually feature an option to have change member actions be used before all other actions - but that'd only work in Classic turn based mode, as it'd otherwise not be able to start before already running actions.

4) You can use the override settings of the GUI box to override the Menu Controls for it, i.e. use a different input key as accept key.
  • edited September 2020
    2.5) I guess I'm not totally sure what settings I'm doing wrong here. I have Selected Data Choice Stored into a Game Variable that is then called in the Store Selected Data Content node to be used as a Variable Key with the Game Variable type. I am then trying to again call this game variable with the #varstringmythonpart# in my dialogue and still returns nothing. I really can't grasp what I'm doing wrong here.

3) Wow, thank you for putting up with me not completely realizing all I want can be accomplished in those events. I tried setting up an event to test it out, and the animation plays however the combatant is not swapped out it just plays the event Prefab and Sound but doesn't actually change the member at all. Any reason why this may be?

Great to hear about the change member action change being implemented in the next update. Can't wait.

3.5) Another thing regarding the change member settings. I have a combatant icon that doesn't seem to show up on the GUI box used for my change member choice despite using the same GUI box for my selected data choice nodes for my evolution event which does show the Combatant Icon. Is there a way to enable the icon to show on Change Member? Is there any additional settings to tinker with Change Member beyond the initial setup in the Battle Menu? It seems to be doing some weird things with my GUI Skin I have attached to it as well even though it works flawlessly throughout every other menu option in battle. Thank you.

4) Works like a charm, thank you.

Just really want to thank you, as I am finishing these last couple of issues I don't think I will have to bug you that much in the future.
  • 2.5) The Selected Data Choice stores what the player selected into another selected data (identified by the selected key). You use that selected key in the Store Selected Data Content node to store e.g. the name (%n) into a string variable (mythonpart).

3) You also need to use a Calculate node at the end of your retreat animation to cause the actual member change :)

3.5) GUI boxes are just containers that display stuff - using the same GUI box for a battle menu and a dialogue doesn't mean it'll show the same icons or whatever :)
    If you want it to display something, you need to put it in there, e.g. via text codes.