I removed one of my active abilities from its control map, because I wanted to make absolutely sure whether I really needed to add them all individually to a control map to get them to work. I saved, ran a test & could no longer use the ability. Bummer. I went back to the framework, re-added the ability to the relevant control map and when I ran a test, I couldn't use the ability. When I pull up the menu that let's me select the ability tree to which the ability belongs, it shows the ability until I click it, then it reverts to the previous menu without anything happening. When I click the ability tree again, the ability is gone.
  • Ability trees are used to learn abilities, not use them - and the control map can only use an ability if it's available to the combatant (e.g. learned or added via an equipment ability).

I guess clicking on the ability in the tree learns the ability, so next time you open the same tree it'll no longer be available, since it's already learned (but that'll depend on your menu's setup).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • No I'm not trying to use the ability through the tree, I'm just sorting ability menus via their tree. Clicking on a particular tree opens a menu with all the abilities of that type that a combatant knows, and then clicking on the ability is supposed to use it. This particular ability worked before I removed it from the control map, But it no longer does after adding it back. I never removed it from the combatant's ability list.
  • Hm, ok, that's strange - can you give me some details on the ability? E.g. is it useable in field and/or battle, targeting allies or enemies, etc.

Also, are the other abilities still useable as before?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • There was a conflict between Parent Type & Ability Type listed in the menu. Here's a follow up question, though: I guess I will have to assign every usable ability to a control map, but will every ability also require it's own unique key assigned to that control map?
  • Depends on the goal of your setup. Generally, you can use the same input key for multiple control map keys - the control map will use the first thing that is found (and useable).

An alternative would be using shortcut slots instead of fixed abilities, e.g. check out this gameplay tutorial.