edited April 2021 in ORK Support
It looks like a bug to me. These are my settings that don't work:

Removing the Status requirement condition solves the problem.

However, I don't understand why there is this problem with the condition, when I am certain, that the target has the poison skin status effect active at the time of the combatant attack.

Any ideas?
Post edited by zatokar on
  • I'll check it out.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Working fine here - make sure the effect change is added to the correct status changes if it's used in an ability/item. E.g. the Target of user changes is the user.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited April 2021
    I am applying changes in the User changes settings, as I want to apply poison to the attacker, in case he is attacking a target that has poison skin.

Like I said, all works fine, when I remove the condition/requirement as can be seen in the screenshot attached.

It even works fine, when I change the condition to something like this:

So the only problem is with this condition, but I don't get it why.

Target has the poison skin active (Status effects > Poison skin), as you can see in the screenshot:

When I uncheck Is applied it works every time (no matter if the target has the Poison skin active or not). So to me, it seems like this condition is not checking what I want it to check. It is not checking active status effect of the target, because if it was, then it would see, that it has Poison skin active.

EDIT: See this screenshot, the player has the Poison skin status effect active, it's even written in logs, but Serpent warrior, using Attack1 ability (with User change with the abovementioned condition) doesn't damage her back as it should.

This is the full setup of the User Change of the Attack1 ability.
  • Wrong setup for something like this :)
    As said, the user changes have the user of the ability as user and target, i.e. the Target condition here is checking on the user itself.

What you need to use is your poison skin status effect's Defence Status Effects - they can automatically apply effects on combatants who attack the one with poison skin applied.
    Abilities/items need to enable Add Defence Effects in their target changes to make use of this, i.e. an attack that should cause the attack's user to be poisoned by poison skin.
  • edited April 2021
    gamingislove said: As said, the user changes have the user of the ability as user and target, i.e. the Target condition here is checking on the user itself.
    Why is it checking the user itself, when it's clearly said to check the Target, not the User. Why is User and Target the same, while there is an option to select one of them. What is the difference between User and Target then? Would you care to elaborate?
    It is explained like this, why would User and the Target be the same?

Thanks for the help, I will try to fix it as you suggest, it just doesn't make much sense to me as it is, and would be very happy if it was a bit clearer. Thx
  • edited April 2021
    Your proposed solution doesn't seem to work well for me as I am adding status effects dynamically after defeating a monster like this:

I can't seem to be able to add a defense effect like this.

In any case, I still would like to hear your thoughts on my previous reply as I am 100% confused as to why the Target and User are the same, yet still there are 2 options.
  • Because for the User Changes the user is the user and target of the changes, there's none of the (potentially multiple) targets involved there.

If you change effects in events using the Change Status Effect node things are also different. Here, the combatant you select in the node is the Target, and unless you're using the Use User Combatant settings to use a different combatant as user, it'll also be the User.
    So in this setup, to have the target of the ability cause an effect on the user of the ability via the Change Status Effect node, you use the User as combatant, the Target as user (via Use User Combatant) and check for User use requirements.
    Alternatively, you can also use a Check Status node to check if an effect is applied on the target and only do the effect change if it succeeds.
  • Going to look into your proposed solution.

Just to be clear, however, the behavior of the event that you can see screenshot above is following:
    1. User defeats a monster
    2. User sees dialogue where he can select power-up (status effect)
    3. He chooses poison skin
    4. He gets the poison skin status effect applied

Then I am expecting, that when the next monster attacks him, the monster would get poisoned.
  • Ehh this has been challenging, but thanks for your help, it works now.

Here is my set up of the battle animation event of the ability:

I am afraid now that different effects are each set up differently, resulting in a bit of a mess maintaining those. At least I keep some documentation for myself, for future reference.
  • I think there's been a bit of miscommunication here :)

You've now recreated via the event what the defence effects would do automatically. Defence effects are not added like status effects (e.g. via nodes or effect changes in abilities/items), they're set up in the status effect that should cause them, i.e. your Poison Skin status effect has Defence Status Effects settings where you can add the Poison Effect. If this is set up, any ability/item that has Use Defence Effects enabled in their target changes will use the defence effects of the target on the user, i.e. poison skin will poison the attacker.
  • Super, I changed it and it works like a charm. The only thing I am a bit annoyed by is that the poison is applied straight away, not after the Attack1 ability has landed at the user combatant (with active Poison skin).

Thanks for the patience and bearing with me till the "end". :)
  • Well, all these things are handled when the Calculate node is used, which calculates all the ability changes.

If you want it at a different time, you need to do it manually via the event system as you set up before. As you noticed, you can achieve things like this in different ways with ORK :)
  • I see. Thank you :)