• New 3D Action RPG Tutorials!

3 new item-related tutorials have been added to the 3D Action RPG tutorial series.
    Use potions, throw grenades and show them in a HUD.

@Monkey_A_C
    Sure :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2022
    I'd really like more modern game-style tutorials. This current one is good for third-person action games, but I'd really like to see one with a point and click like Diablo.

Or at least just some info on settings for that type of game.

Suggestion for next update.

Some sort of dependency viewer for formulas and schematics. Currently, there's no real way to see where a schematic or formula is being used in Ork. It would be great if there was to see which places they're used and if used t all.
    Post edited by Solkyoshiro on
    Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • ORK 3 RC 1 is here!

ORK 3's first release candidate is here with a last batch of new features:
    - Combatant menu parts used as combatant selections can now be kept active when returning to the menu screen from the opened screen
    - Content layouts can display the item's quantity in the player inventory (when displaying an item, equipment, etc.)
    - Shops can add items, equipment, etc. by item type instead of defining individual items, naturally that doesn't offer any price/quantity settings

See all changes on the beta page.

Release is scheduled for January 31, 2022 - so, next Monday!

Later today the 3D Action RPG series will be concluded with 4 new tutorials (adding the last enemy and item drops) and some final words.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited January 2022
    @gamingislove

congrats to the release date!
    Looking so much forward to it.
    Can you explain again how the purchase options are? For example i do own an Ork2 license, and as far as i remember you once mentioned there will be some upgrade possibility?

And regarding to my tutorial / feature request:
    Some ideas which i maybe already asked once but i would like to mention it again to just be up to date. I think they would greatly improve ORK and its possibilitys for game developement nowadays.
    Hopefully you will like them and put them on your to-do list for future implementations ;)
    (also sorry if some features are already possible)

1)a. the option to create an item which safes some percantage of experience after every battle. So that you can give it to selected combatants.
    So if you get some combatant later in game you can feed him experience and level him up without grinding etc.

1)b. addditionaly to that i wonder if its already possible to use a potion ulimited times?
    For example like a bottle which you can always refill and use over and over again.
    So maybe if you walk across an health spring, you can just refill this potion and use it again until its empty.

2. the possibility to get different variations of experience.
    f.e. experience for leveling up the combatants - experience for crafting skills - experience for items etc.
    So after an battle you get - 100exp for Leveling up, 30exp for using hammersmith skills to craft higher level items etc.

3. The possibility to level up skills only every second level. So never twice in a row.
    To prevent the player to get an higl lvl ability to early and to give the skillset some diversity because the player has to skill other abilities inbetween. (in my opinion SUPER crucial for an RPG) :)

this was your comment on this a while ago - maybe its still valid

"Well, you can restrict learning (I assume via research trees) to level conditions.

Alternatively, you can use object variables on the combatant to handle this. E.g. learning level 1 sets an int variable firepunchTimeout to the number of levels you want to block it and use a level up schematic to reduce those timeouts by 1 each level up. Research requirement for the ability can use the variable."

4. The option to have a splittet combatant group
    f.e. that my player copmbatant can use abilities/items additionally to another combatant in his party.
    I am thinking of a turn based style battle system in which the player is not participating in the battle itself - more like a coach standing next to the field - but can interact in the battle by casting some spells. For example a shield or boost etc.
    And the combatants in the field are actually fighting.
    So that every round has like 2 coaches and 2 combatants. So there is the possibility to have 4 turns of actions every round - but only 2 combatants which fight each other in total.

5. And the possibility for Aura-skills (passive).
    So as long as this combatant is on the field its aura will effect other combatants.
    I was thinking about positive effects for allys (f.e +Def) but also
    negative effects on enemys (f.e. -ATK).

Thanks a lot and looking forward to more cool stuff for ORK3 to come!

Cheers,

Post edited by Monkey_A_C on
  • @Monkey_A_C
    That'll be standard Asset Store handling - basically:
    - if you purchased ORK 2 in 2021 till ORK 3 release you'll get a free upgrade
    - if you purchased before 2021 or one of the older ORK versions (i.e. ORK 1 or ORK 2's first version that was later deprecated for the one-time paid upgrade) you'll pay $50 for the upgrade
    Otherwise you'll pay the regular $100 price.
    However, there'll be a short time release discount, so it'll cost $50 for everyone at the start (I think for 1-2 weeks, haven't looked into that release discount thing on the Asset Store yet).

1a+b) That should already be doable via item variables.
    Needs some work with schematics, etc. - but generally you'd store exp (or potion fillings) as variables on the item (which are unique to each item's instance) and can also use them in schematics to e.g. give exp or check if the potion can heal.

2) That's already possible.
    You can set up as many Experience type status values as you want, the only limit is that only one can level up the combatant's level and only one can level up the class level. Or none at all and you handle all that with custom systems.
    But generally, you can set up exp for all kinds of things and use them, e.g. for ability/equipment levels, research tree (learn costs), etc.

3) Should be doable via ability variables (so similar to #1).
    The ability level up uses the level's Init Schematic, so you can e.g. set an int variable with the levels until it can level up again and reduce that on each combatant level up (via the level up schematic). The variable can be used e.g. in research trees to check if level up is possible.

4) Hm ... theoretically possible with calling menu screens via the battle menu ... I think :D
  • @gamingislove I have some problems with damage dealers.

I have two types of combatants, a player character and an enemy.

Both prefabs have sub objects with a damage zone component, a capsule collider and kinematic rigidbody.

Every gameobject is on "combatants" collision layer.

They have a large trigger collider box in front of them that is supposed to become active during a melee attack.

The damage dealer component is set to work in "trigger stay" and deactivate after one damage. Activation on Actions includes base attack.

The attack ability's auto damage dealers parameter is set to "Set Action".

Attack animations have animation events set up at specific times (CurrentActionActivateDamageDealers/CurrentActionDeactivateDamageDealers).

The attack animation schematic is just playing the animation and waiting for 1 normalized time.

The result is that only the player character is able to damage the enemy.
    Enemy combatants are just playing the animation seemingly without activating their damage dealers.

If the enemy damage dealers are set to always on, and the player character is in front of the enemy (within the damage box), and the damage dealer component is disabled/enabled, then a damage is correctly triggered towards the player. So i can confirm the collisions are working fine.
  • @Vlastan
    That sounds like the damage dealer has not enough time - hinting at the enemy animations not reporting back their play times, you're using Mecanim, right?
    The Set Action auto damage dealers will also remove the action at the end, which also deactivates the damage dealer, so if the attack animation says it's play time is 0, it'll immediately remove the action, making it impossible to activate it via the animation events (or deactivate it in case it's already active).

Make sure the enemy animations in ORK are set up correctly regarding their duration, e.g. matching state/clip names, etc.
  • edited January 2022
    @gamingislove

Sounds great - going to purchase it as soon as its available!

Thanks for all the answers! Looks like most of the things is already somehow doable ;)

Can you give also feedback on Nr.5 (it was edited after you replied i guess).

And for Nr.4 - maybe you would consider doing an tutorial for that as an continuation of the turn based chapter.
    A lot of turn based rpgs have similar settings where the player itself doesnt actively participate in battle (f.e. pokemon/digimon etc).
    Would be super nice to see how to set up those two seperate battle groups. One with the trainer and its abilitys (items / castings etc) and one for the fighting combatants. So in which both have action turns but only one of them takes damage etc..

Perhaps its worth putting it on the list for the future for you ;)

Have a great weekend.
    Post edited by Monkey_A_C on
  • @gamingislove the issue was exactly what you suggested! I fixed it by setting the proper animation set for the enemy combatants. Thanks for the tip!
  • @Monkey_A_C
    To have a non-battle player (e.g. like the pokemon trainer), you have to do the following in your start event (or whenever you add the combatant to the group):
    - Join Group node to add the combatant
    - Leave Battle Group node to remove it from the battle group (automatically joins it when there's a free slot)
    - Hide Member node to remove the combatant from the regular combatant selection stuff, i.e. the player also can't change it into the group
    - add other combatants afterwards.

The first combatant you add is automatically the player (unless it's actively changed somewhere), so even after leaving the battle gorup it'll remain the player.
    As for the non-battle player using actions, as said, just use a Menu Screen battle menu item to call a regular menu screen that allows the non-battle player to use it's abilities.

5) Hm, might be possible, e.g. having Trigger Machines on the combatants that can handle stuff like that (trigger enter to add, triger exit to remove). Basically, have a large enough collider (as trigger) on the combatant to cover the battle - schematics check for abilities and other conditions and add/remove effects as needed.
  • ORK 3 RC 2 is here!

Alright, one last round of new stuff and changes before release:

Turn based, active time and phase battles replaced their formulas with general float value selections to make this more flexible. You'll have to redo the setup, though (e.g. just selecting Value > Formula and the formula you used).

The Combatant Component that's attached to each combatant now allows you to change status values and status effects on the combatant in the inspector. Makes life easier if you just want to test something (or heal your player during testing instead of dying :D).

The Makinom Handler component's inspector now lets you control audio volumes (global, music, sound and the channels), including muting.

See all details on the beta page.

Unless there is some issue in this version, this'll be what's in the official release version :)
  • I'm having some problems with Defend in Turn Based Battles. It works fine if I set it as a Command in the Battle Menu, but if I want to create my own defend ability I don't seem to have any options. I can't find a box in ability/status effects that allows me to set/edit the default defend value.
    So I decided to set defend to a status value, set that status value to 90 (90%) and use a schematic with Use Battle Action (Defend) in a ability. This caused the enemy to repeatably attack me until I died. (in a turn based battle!)

I've been looking around and I can't find any options that work similar to Defend. (a % removal of incoming damage) Am I missing something? Or is it not possible to have a custom Defend ability/status effect set up?
  • The defend rate is only used by the defend command, so if you handle defending via a custom ability, you'll have to set up a custom system for it, e.g. via adding a defend status effect that temporarily changes status effects or modifier values to impact the damage, or checking for it in your formulas calculating damage, etc.

I'd need to know more about your defend ability setup and the schematics used to animate it (and where/how it's used, since you use it via an Use Battle Action node).
    Keep in mind that the Use Battle Action node has the potential to break your turn order in turn based battles - e.g. if it's called by another action's schematics, I'd recommend using it as a Sub Action to not impact the turn order.
  • How come the official version hasn't been released yet?
  • edited January 2022
    I just use an ability with a schematic under Target Change that runs Use Battle Action with Defend. I tried ticking Sub Action but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is there a way to use status effects to decrease incoming damage by percentage like how defend command work? It doesn't look like it's a simple process as one would assume.

Edit: As soon as I wrote this I just thought of a method. Using status values and formulas I could decrease damage by a percentage of each incoming ability based on the targets defend value. It's a bit out of the way but it gives the same results as using defend command.
    Post edited by Dre788 on