Is a Battle Menu and a Menu Screen with Ability and Item parts essentially the same thing?

Is there a benefit of using one or the other?

Does targeting work the same with both?

The reason I ask is because in my in game menu the abilities and items will also be included on another page of the same menu as my stats and other menu items just on another page. I want to be able to select an ability or item to initiate targeting, then use the ability or item when the target is selected.

Just clarifying if a menu screen will act just like a battle menu.
Portfolio - My Website
Follow my project on Reddit - My Game DevLog
relentingVids - My YouTube Channel
Half Super Shop - My Shop
  • No, they're separate things for separate use cases.

Menu screens are usually only available out of battle and can only target members of the player group (or group of the menu user), at least with the regular selections. You can still e.g. drag+drop items/abilities/etc. from the menu on stuff in the scene to use it on e.g. enemy combatants or NPCs.

Battle menus are only used in battle and can target all combatants that are in battle.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • What should I do in the use case of battle is consistent? Can I make a battle menu have a section to show the other menu screens or can I make the the menu screen part open the battle menu? I may also mention I’m designing this with controller (game pad) use in mind. So I got to be able to select by moving through selections with the left or right stick.

Here is a link to the menu I made in Makinom that I’m trying to imitate with ORK3. See how the abilities menu is in the list of other menu parts. And here is a link showing how the targeting cycle is used.

Just looking for the best route to achieve this with ORK3.

Let me know, any help is always greatly appreciated!
    Portfolio - My Website
  • Menu screens and battle menus are not connected in any way (and not designed for that), so there's currently no out of the box way to do that. I'll look into future expansion for this - so what kind of functionality would you need?
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Have the battle menu be an option for a menu part or have other menu screens be apart of the battle menu. Either way as long as I can access all my menu options from a single menu.

Also I’ve been trying to wrap my head around setting up the menu screens or battle menu to list in a circle layout but I cannot figure it out. Can the battle menu or menu screens have its input choices listed as a set up in the layouts?
    Portfolio - My Website
  • Chiming in to say that for a future project of mine being able to access a menu from the battle menu that simply displays all party information with multiple boxes would be what I am looking for.

That and being able to use items in battle on members who are in the group but aren't currently part of the battle.
  • I'll look into it in the future.

Circle layout for inputs is currently not available in ORK 3/Makinom 2 - Unity doesn't have such a layout group component, so I'll have to write one in the future to bring that back.
  • Ah that makes since why I couldn’t figure it out! Lol I’ll just use a regular vertical layout for now.
    Portfolio - My Website
  • This might get you what you want, I haven't run through it a bunch but given that ORK just puts it under content, replace the Horizontal/Vertical Layout on your prefab with this and it should handle it:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/radial-ui-layout-in-unity-code-included.355676/
  • @Acissathar This looks like exactly what I need for now! Thanks for sharing!
    Portfolio - My Website
  • ORK 3 BETA 9 added more battle menu and menu screen cross-use.

Battle menus can call menu screens using the new Menu Screen battle menu item.
    Ability/inventory menu screens have a new Target Range setting (replacing On Screen Combatant) to use either the menu user (screen combatant), a member of the user's group (previous default behaviour) or select one from available targets (i.e. spawned combatants within use range).

This allows somewhat of a cross-use between them, e.g. using All target range and Animate Use can integrate your ability or item menu into battles.
  • Amazing work GIL, excited to check it out.

Thanks for all you do.