I have a dynamic Dialogue system I made with ORK3 that can has the option for Regular Text and Choices to show depending on Object Variables attached to the Speaker. The Regular Text allows me to scroll the box up and down depending on the input axis from gamepad right stick vertical being held up or down. The issue I'm running into is that once I get to the dialogue with choices it will no longer allow me to scroll at all. The only way to move the box is by using the page up and page down inputs that I set as D-Pad Up/ D-Pad Down which only goes to the top or bottom of the text being displayed. Page up or down skips any text shown in-between.

Is there a way to allow scrolling even when choices are being displayed?
I tried the Use Input Scroll override control option but that jumps right to the input choices, still not allowing me to scroll the text above the choices.

Here is a link to a video of the set up, between 0:44 and 1:00 is when it shows the box not being able to be scrolled.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers! =]
Portfolio - My Website
Follow my project on Reddit - My Game DevLog
relentingVids - My YouTube Channel
Half Super Shop - My Shop
  • edited October 2021
    Is scrolling and menu controls (input selection, up/down/etc.) using the same input key?
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited October 2021
    My input selection is set to game pad input axis left stick vertical. My scroll is set up to gamepad input axis right stick vertical. At 3:35 it shows my input overrides.
    Post edited by relenting_1 on
    Portfolio - My Website
  • Hm, I'll look into it - might be that inputs (choices, etc.) prevent scrolling via input.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok thanks so much!
    Portfolio - My Website
  • Yeah, seems like that's the case - will be changed in the next beta.
  • Awesome thank you!

I also noticed that if you add a trigger animation on opening the box by scaling it up from 0 it sets the scroll in an undesired position forcing you to scroll to find the beginning part of the displayed text.
    Portfolio - My Website
  • I'll check that out - though that's most likely due to Unity UI's scroll rect working that way when being scaled down that much.
  • For now I just made the box rotate 90 on the x axis to achieve the same result as scaling on the x. That way the scroll is in the right place when opening the box.

Thanks for looking into it!
    -Cheers =]
    Portfolio - My Website
  • Tested it and, yes, that's a Unity issue that seems to be around since the start of the Unity UI (e.g. check out this thread in the Unity forums). While I could forcibly scroll to the top when the UI box is opened (leading in this case to a noticable scrolling up), there is a simple fix for this:

Instead of using a scale of 0, use a very small scale, e.g. 0.001. Scroll position is correct in that case :)
  • Oh a Unity bug from 2015. Thanks for finding this and the very tiny scale workaround for now!

Cheers!
    -Nate
    Portfolio - My Website