Hello! I have a turn-based battle. There are multiple player combatants, and I want the player to control each of them in turn during a combat. But I can't work out how to do it! The whole party spawns in fine, and I can see their Turn Calculations all working. But only one player combatant only ever does anything - it's like the turns get skipped for the others, nothing happens.

Are there any tutorials for setting up this kind of battle? Any ideas what I might be missing to set it up correctly?

Thx!
  • Should be pretty straight forward, just joining the new combatant to the player group and battle group (happens automatically if there's a free slot in the battle group, otherwise via a Group menu screen) is enough - e.g. as in the game tutorial 50.

I suspect your combatants are set to be AI controlled - check their Battle Settings > AI Settings, AI Controlled should be disabled if you want the player to select actions for them.
    Keep in mind that all non-player combatants are AI controlled anyway, so the AI control settings are purely for player group members.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ah, okay - yep, both were set to be AI controlled.

I don't understand now though why I was able to play with one of them still? Even if flagged as AI controlled, that gets overridden to always have a combatant controlled by the player?
  • Because the actual player (i.e. leader of the player group) is still controlled by the player when AI Controlled is enabled. This allows to switch the player but still have the rest of the group be AI controlled.
    If you'd also enable AI Controlled Player the player's actions would also be selected via battle AI.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Cool, got it - thx!
  • edited November 2021
    Hmmm, another quick one - how can I get the camera to target the active combatant each time?

Edit : Aha, got it! Transfer player control in the turn based battle control settings!
    Post edited by StevieJay on