edited December 2013 in Announcements
And here it is

Release notes.

Beta17 - the final beta, currently in development

This will be the last beta before the official release, although there might be updates like 16a or 17a, depending on the bugs you guys find :D

Well, what's coming in beta17?
  • Status Values
    The new Count to Value setting (similar to the one in battle texts) will optionally count from the last value of a status value to a new one.
    This 'displayed' value will be used by HUDs to display the current value of the status value, creating nice effects :)
  • GUI Boxes
    Text columns are coming, optionally separate the text into multiple columns.
    Also, you can set the width of titles (mainly for the equipment menu part).
  • Battle Events
    Join Battle and Leave Battle steps!
    Simply add/remove combatants in battle :)
  • Game Events
    Start Battle step - finally!
    Needs a game object with an attached (and set up) Battle component.
  • Text Code
    A new text code allows adding icons from a Resources folder (no sub-folder).
  • Control Maps
    The new Use Auto Target option will use actions (base/counter attack, abilities, items) automatically on a target (e.g. last target, nearest target - depends on the combatant's AI settings).
  • Abilities, Items
    The damage dealer settings now allow adding an audio clip and prefab to the damage dealer when auto activating it (like the Activate Damage Dealer step in battle events).
  • None Animation
    The none action (a combatant doing nothing) can now also be animated.
    The setting is made for each combatant individually.
  • Real Time Battle Areas
    This is the implementation of the always real time mode. Bring real time battles into a bigger area of your scene, every spawned combatant (with battle type real time selected) will join the battle.
    It's a simple component, when used with a trigger (collider), it will be limited to the area of the trigger - when used without trigger, the real time battle takes place in the whole scene.
  • Difficulties
    The status value and attack/defence multipliers are now faction based.
  • Combatants
    Finally, the Aggression settings are implemented. Aggressive combatants will hunt their enemies (in the field).
    You can select how a combatant becomes aggressive (e.g. always, on damage, etc.) - when a combatant's aggression state changes, he can notify his fellow group members and other groups of his faction, like a call for help.
  • Inventory/Ability Menus
    The Default Action setting will let you define what will happen when you select an item/equipment or ability in the menu. Usually you'll Use it - offers the same actions as the sub menus.

Object Variables

Object variables allow binding game variables to objects in your scene using a component. The object is identified by an object ID (which is game wide, like the item box ID) - objects sharing the same ID will also share the variables. You can define your own object IDs, or let them be created automatically (with a long an complex string :D).

The object variables are also integrated into the event system and can be used in formulas and battle AI.

An example use would be an NPC circling through dialogues. Currently, you'd have to use a global game variable as a counter (which might override another game variable you used somewhere else).
Now, you can simply add the 'Object Variables' component to the NPC (which receives a unique object ID automatically) and use object variables in the event instead. The NPC itself will keep track of the counter and wont interfere with anything else :)

You can also use object variables in a 'local' mode, without an object ID. Those variables are only available to this one object and aren't shared, and they'll be gone once the game object is gone.

Combatants now have 'Object Variables' settings, so you can automatically add an object variables component to them (either as local, or defining an object ID).

Some examples to use object variables for battles:
  • Make an attack stronger each time it's used (since they can be used and changed in formulas).
  • Add different 'modes' to battle AIs, like offensive and defensive and let the combatant switch between modes.
  • Let one combatant mark targets for another combatant (either in battle AI or in battle events). The battle AI can find targets based on object variables.
Post edited by gamingislove on
Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I am psyched. :D
    Tactics RPG Grid Battle System for ORK
    ---------------------------------------
    Personal Twitter: https://twitter.com/AMO_Crate
    I make RFI! https://twitter.com/NootboxGames
  • Some details on the new Object Variables:

Object variables allow binding game variables to objects in your scene using a component. The object is identified by an object ID (which is game wide, like the item box ID) - objects sharing the same ID will also share the variables. You can define your own object IDs, or let them be created automatically (with a long an complex string :D).

The object variables are also integrated into the event system and can be used in formulas and battle AI.

An example use would be an NPC circling through dialogues. Currently, you'd have to use a global game variable as a counter (which might override another game variable you used somewhere else).
    Now, you can simply add the 'Object Variables' component to the NPC (which receives a unique object ID automatically) and use object variables in the event instead. The NPC itself will keep track of the counter and wont interfere with anything else :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Sounds excellent! I just so happened to be doing similar NPC events recently as well.
  • Forgot to mention two things:

You can also use object variables in a 'local' mode, without an object ID. Those variables are only available to this one object and aren't shared, and they'll be gone once the game object is gone.

Combatants now have 'Object Variables' settings, so you can automatically add an object variables component to them (either as local, or defining an object ID).

Some examples to use object variables for battles:
    • Make an attack stronger each time it's used (since they can be used and changed in formulas).
    • Add different 'modes' to battle AIs, like offensive and defensive and let the combatant switch between modes.
    • Let one combatant mark targets for another combatant (either in battle AI or in battle events). The battle AI can find targets based on object variables.
  • Ah, that's even better! Will definitely have a lot of use in combat, then.
  • final beta eh i wonder after this you could try implementing UMA into the framework.
  • I think there's probably a few higher priority things than UMA :P

GiL, might Menu-specific music or Music-fading/Volume events make an appearance?
  • Feature update:
    • Battle Events
    • Game Events
      Start Battle step - finally!
      Needs a game object with an attached (and set up) Battle component.
    • Text Code
    • Control Maps
      The new Use Auto Target option will use actions (base/counter attack, abilities, items) automatically on a target (e.g. last target, nearest target - depends on the combatant's AI settings).
    • Abilities, Items
      The damage dealer settings now allow adding an audio clip and prefab to the damage dealer when auto activating it (like the Activate Damage Dealer step in battle events).

@Cynel1
    It's still some time until I'll get on implementing 3rd party stuff.

@Kirb
    Music fading is already available in events (audio steps).
    Changing the music in shops/menus is on my to-do list for the final release :)
  • Battle Events
    Sounds like this could be used to summon creatures to your aid in battle.
  • Ah, okay! I must have missed those fade steps. :D
    Text Code
    Awesome, so with this textcode we can basically place any icon texture from a folder in the project?

Good additions!
  • New stuff:
    • None Animation
      The none action (a combatant doing nothing) can now also be animated.
      The setting is made for each combatant individually.
    • Real Time Battle Areas
      This is the implementation of the always real time mode. Bring real time battles into a bigger area of your scene, every spawned combatant (with battle type real time selected) will join the battle.
      It's a simple component, when used with a trigger (collider), it will be limited to the area of the trigger - when used without trigger, the real time battle takes place in the whole scene.

@keyboardcowboy
    Yes - but there's still the limit for the player's battle group :)

@Kirb
    Yup, as long as it's directly in a Resources folder ... well, you can also use sub-folders, but you'd have to type it in correctly (e.g. #resources.iconPath/to/icon.png# for something in Assets/Resources/Path/to/icon.png).
    The ORK text area allow selecting an icon, but only if it's directly in a resources folder. I'd love to make it otherwise, but Unity makes it quite difficult :D
  • JOIN BATTLES YEA
  • Status Value Upgrades

Similar to Ability Trees, you can define upgrades to Normal type status values in the Status Development. Upgrading (i.e. changing the base value, without bonuses) can be bound to experience costs and status requirements.
    You can define by which value a status value will be changed.

Examples (ATK > Normal SV, AP > Experience SV):
    - upgrading ATK by 1 costs 1 AP if ATK is below 30
    - upgrading AKT by 1 costs 2 AP if ATK is below 50

Naturally, there's also a new menu part for this, similar to the ability tree part :)
  • Totally gonna be using this for upgrading Spell-types in DG, I think. Awesome feature.
  • And more awesome will find it's way to you guys tomorrow - when it's release time for beta17 :D

Other stuff coming:
    • Difficulties
      The status value and attack/defence multipliers are now faction based.
    • Combatants
      Finally, the Aggression settings are implemented. Aggressive combatants will hunt their enemies (in the field).
      You can select how a combatant becomes aggressive (e.g. always, on damage, etc.) - when a combatant's aggression state changes, he can notify his fellow group members and other groups of his faction, like a call for help.
    • Inventory/Ability Menus
      The Default Action setting will let you define what will happen when you select an item/equipment or ability in the menu. Usually you'll Use it - offers the same actions as the sub menus.