edited November 2021 in ORK Support
I want to improve the animations in my game by using layered animations (such as those in this package). I'm using Mecanim animations. It seems pretty simple and self-explanatory to set up but I wanted to clarify one thing to make sure I'm doing this right: For the animations that are going to be layered on over the base animations, do they A) need to have their own Animation Types? And if so B) need to be called in sequence with the base animations?
E.G. Say I have a 2 different base idle animations: Idle and Angry, that give the character a basic stance. And then I have 2 different animations on a second layer I want to be able to layer onto them: Shake Head and Nod. If I wanted to be able to do any combination of the base Idle/Angry and the Layered on Shake Head/Nod would I need an Animation Type for all four of them? and if so, would I then call them in an event by first calling the base animation and then the layered on animation?
Post edited by Whatexists on
  • Well, most of this depends on how the animations are set up, but generally I'd assume that the layered animations only animate part of the model. E.g. the idle animation does it's thing and the nod animation just animates the had in addition to that.
    So, you shouldn't need to set up idle, idle angry, idle nod, etc. animation types.

Generally, you'd only need to set up animation types for them if you want to use them via combatant animations, i.e. as a standardized and reusable setup. You can otherwise also just play animations directly via the other animation nodes.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Yeah, that's how these are set up: only animating part of the model.

So, generally, if I wanted to use the layered on animations like emotes during a dialogue with an NPC I could just play them directly at the appropriate times during the dialogue event, but if I want to be able to call them repeatedly and in other contexts I'd need animation types for them?

Would that also work for battle events, e.g. for the animating event of an ability?
  • Yes - the animation setup in ORK (i.e. assigning animations to animation types) is there for 2 things:
    - not having to set up the whole animation stuff each time you want to use an animation somewhere
    - being able to override animations, e.g. equipment changing animations

So, if you want to use these emote animations often (and on combatants), I'd recommend setting up animation types for them to be able to reuse them without having to set up everything for each dialogue/event.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!