I'm looking to port my game over to Ork Framework as the changes in Ork 3 were what I needed to really be able to use it.

My question is, now that Ork 3 is on beta 17, soon 18, is it safe enough to start working on? I know that future betas can break some things, but with the changes from Ork 2 to 3, it doesn't seem worthwhile to start on 2.

I don't mind having to redo sections (I've seen how you had to redo equipment in beta 17).
Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • It's been stable for me, no bugs that effect development in my experience and the improvements are major.
    Miuratale : coming 2024
    Miuratale
  • It's been stable for me, no bugs that effect development in my experience and the improvements are major.
    Thanks! I've been playing around with Ork 3 beta this week and I'm really in love with it, so I didn't want to wait any longer to get going.
    Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • Yes, ORK 3 is stable (has been for quite some time) - ORK 3 is basically release ready and I'm just cranking out tutorials at this point.

There may be some things you need to redo between betas, as there's no automatic data upgrade for most changes during beta phase. The majority of these changes (needing redo) should be done by now, though - e.g. the upcoming BETA 18 only has improvements, no redos :)

In any case, I'd recommend already starting with ORK 3 instead of ORK 2, as the improvements by far outweigh the needed redos.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2021
    I just downloaded and installed the package for ORK 3 Beta version 18.
    I am unsure whether redoing my project from scratch on ORK3 (which is not a ton of work, but still) or keep working & learning ORK2 and wait for the project upgrade tool. Is there a time estimate for the upgrade tool?
    Post edited by ChimpLogik on
  • edited December 2021
    No estimate for that yet - priority currently lies on tutorials, work on the upgrade tool won't begin before official ORK 3 release.

I'd recommend restarting on ORK 3 if you aren't too far into development, e.g. if you're just in the early prototyping stage.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited December 2021
    Perfect, thank you!
    By the way, when upgrading to ORK3, is the folder
    /ORK Framework
    containing ORK2 still required due to dependencies/licensing or can it be deleted?
    Post edited by ChimpLogik on
  • It can be deleted, though if you still have any old ORK 2 stuff in your project (e.g. components on prefabs or in your scenes, as well as the ORK 2 data), that'll be useless.