Hi!

I'm done with the 3D RPG Playground tutorial (thanks so much that tutorial btw, it was really helpful!) and now I'm trying to do the grid tutorial. I know it was written for Ork 2.4 but I figured it should work with Ork 3 (I'm using Beta 23)

I've had a little problem with grid painting however. I don't know why, but when I try to paint the grid I just created, it seems the paint option doesn't work. When I try to click on the cells, it just does whatever tool is selected in the upper left of the interface (hand tool, move tool, rotate tool, etc.).

In the grid setup component of my grid object, the paint option is selected and I'm pretty sure I've followed exactly what was written in the tutorial.

Am I forgetting something important or does this feature doesn't work at the moment in Ork 3?

As a side question, is it all right to go through the Ork 2.4 grid battle gameplay tutorial with Ork 3?

Thank you!
  • Grid painting definitely works - painting (and the other modes) use the raycast settings defined above (in the grid generation settings).
    If it doesn't work on your end, it's most likely either using the wrong layers (e.g. not hitting the ground to find the nearby cells) or the distance isn't high enough for your current view of the scene.

Yes, the grid battle tutorials for ORK 2 can be used for ORK 3, just with the usual adjustments, e.g. schematics instead of events, some settings have been moved, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Ok, thanks for the reply.

However, I've been trying to play with the layers and different settings, but I'm still unable to paint the grid. I've verified, and both the grid itself and the Raycast settings: Layer Mask are in Default layer.

I've tried to click on the ground, directly on the cells themselves, with a good zoom in, with a zoom out, but I'm always activating the default unity tool selected in the top left corner. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong :s

And I've started the tutorial for the grid battles. I'm currently stuck at the move command schematic. In the tutorial, in the ''Change Position'' node, it is said to set ''Object: Select Actor'' and then ''Actor: Select User''.

However, for the Object, it is now impossible to select ''Actor''. Must I use ''Selected Data'' instead?

Thanks!

• Which Unity version are you using?
    The raycasting hits the ground, as your grid prefabs usually don't have any colliders on them - so make sure there is something that can be hit by the raycast there.

In ORK 3, the User actor (in battle events) is the Machine Object, the Target actor is the Starting Object. They're automatically available without setting actors up in the schematic.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I'm using Unity 2020.3.25f1. I'm totally open to use another version of unity if you suggest me to.

The grid is pretty close to the ground. Even if I try to place it even closer to the ground, painting still doesn't work. I've checked, and the terrain has a terrain collider in it.

I've tried playing it with the settings again and I just can't make it work. I'll try tomorrow from scratch. I've checked the settings again by following the tutorial and I think it's setup exactly like it was written, but it's possible I made a mistake :s

And thank you for the information regarding the schematic. I'll try continuing the tutorial with that information in mind.

• One other thing to check - is there some other collider between the ground and the screen that could be hit by the raycast?

Otherwise, you can send me a Unity project with your setup to check out - e.g. remove the Library folder from the Unity project folder to reduce size, zip it up and upload it to dropbox or something like that - send me the link to contact@orkframework.com.
  • edited January 2022
    Hi! I've verified again and there's nothing between the grid and the terrain.

I've uploaded my project on dropbox and sent you the link by email.

Thank you for your time, it's really appreciated! (And I apologize in advance if the grid painting feature doesn't work on my end because I'm an idiot and did something wrong somewhere... which is probably the case.)

(By the way, I was playing with the grid painting feature again and I realized the file I sent you hadn't the paint mode activated for the grid. But don't worry, for all the tests I did, I was on paint mode.)
    Post edited by max_power on
  • The grid mode isn't stored, so that doesn't really matter :)
  • Ok haha! That's good to know :)
  • Hi! I've just figured out why painting grids wasn't working on my end...

It turns out I had the ''gizmos'' button disabled at the top of the scene window. Once I activated it, it worked perfectly.... :s

So yeah...

Don't ask me why I had it disabled :s
  • Hm, strange - I'll check that out.
    Didn't know gizmos have to be active to use custom editor functionality like that :)