Is there a way to use Apply Root Motion with Ork character controllers and scripts? If so is there a tutorial on setting it up right?
  • ORK 2, no - you'll need to use a custom control for that.
    It can forward the speed a combatant is moving at to the animator controller as a parameter (via the animation setup in Base/Control > Animations), but that'd require the combatant to already move, so it'd just keep moving via root motion.

ORK 3 just got new options for the Button player controller to support root motion in BETA 25.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Alright. I'm finally updating to ORK 3. Is there a tutorial for setting this up? (I'm starting from a mecanim animations setup).
  • edited June 2023
    The 3D Action RPG tutorial series uses a control/Mecanim setup with root motion.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited July 2023
    I've been working through that tutorial and have gotten my basic movement (running around) to work with ASDW controls and a mouse for looking. But I'm having trouble getting walk/run to work right: when I press the forward button (w) the speed parameter shoots up past walk to as high as it will go (about 8) and stays there until I've let the button go. I would like it to go to the "walk" speed unless I press the sprint button and then go up to the run speed. I've tried adjusting my speed thresholds in the blend tree and the default move speeds under General Settings for combatants, but how is the speed parameter determined in play? because it doesn't seem like the combatant's move speed is influencing the speed parameter.
    Post edited by Whatexists on
  • Well, keyboard keys are either 0 or 1, i.e. there's no speed difference like with using a controller's stick. So, you need to set your combatant's movement speeds that way, having the run speed for your walking speed and sprint for your full speed if you want it to work that way.

However, since you're using root motion, the speed is actually coming from the played animation - the movement speed of the combatant (via the controls) are just forwarded to the animator controller as a parameter.
  • Ah ah ah ahhh! Okay. I get it. I see how it's working now. Thank you!