• @SK1
    Are you using Mecanim animations?
    Make sure the duration setup is correct in ORK's animation setup. Mecanim doesn't automatically report animation durations, so you need to set it up correctly (e.g. finding it via it's animation clip name).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • edited March 2022
    @gamingislove A UI thing I ran into today:

When using a multi box (group menu for example), the second box flickers when it is not focused. Once it is focused, it no longer flickers but also while this is focused the first box does not flicker:

I'm not using an action menu, just always defaulting to change (which otherwise works great btw) if that's maybe relevant? I have a multi-box setup for Equipment Menu screen as well, but I don't see any flickering there.

---

Also, am I using Lock Field Leader wrong, or is the reset not working right? My idea is that while in the 'base scene' the only character that the user controls is Combatant 0, however, we retain all party formations. I set this as the Force Field Leader in New Game or when Entering the base in the schematic:

This is working great.
    Battle Group without Combatant 0 (blue hair)

But she's still player leader:

When leaving the base, however, I want to no longer require Combatant 0 to be the leader (unless they happen to be in that position), so I attempt to Reset the Force Field Leader and then Destroy any lingering combatants before changing scenes and then spawning the battle group. However, while the Battle Group does spawn, the field leader is still around"

Reset Field Leader:

Destroy Group before changing scenes:

Post edited by Acissathar on
  • edited March 2022
    @Acissathar
    UI is probably refreshing due to the input change of the first box. I'll look into it.

While you unlock the field leader from a specific combatant, the field leader will still be the same combatant (i.e. the first one added to the group). Since the leader wasn't part of the battle group, changing the battle group isn't changing the leader.
    You can e.g. use the Set ORK Player node to change the group's leader.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • @gamingislove I think I'm following along, but then how would I know which object or combatant to set as the ORK Player? From what I can see that node accepts either a specific combatant, or a given game object, but since the group can be in effectively any order I'm not sure how I would know which is the first battle group member? I see that Destroy ORK Player has index based member choice but not set.
  • edited March 2022
    The more I play around with it, the more I feeling like I must be misunderstanding something or there's something going on.

For example, hard coding the schematic to set the character I want as a player isn't doing what it says it should do? Set ORK Player says if the new player's prefab is already int he scene, the player/camera controls will be removed from the old player and added to the new player. But that isn't happening, instead it's sticking to the old player and getting enabled on the new one.

The fact that it enables the second player control component means it recognizes that is the player, but it doesn't correctly change the target.

Similarly, even if I destroy the ork player and then manually set this character as the character, the camera still isn't changing and is instead keeping the old objects. This is using the Cinemachine Wrapper, but even when reseting camera target to player it still has the values as "missing" of the old field leader's data:

Adding in logging to the wrapper, the event is firing but it's passing in the old player still:

Edit: One more test, this time removing the field leader stuff completely. Just deleting ORK Player and then Set ORK Player to replicate that, and as above, the camera is not correctly setting the new target values and just leaves it missing / referencing the "old" target when firing the event (even in same scene)
  • edited March 2022
    Change the order and setup of your schematic a bit.
    Fade out the screen, change the player, load into the next scene and you already spawn with your new player.

Also, to use the first battle member as the player, set up a Player Group actor:
    - combatant scope: Current
    - use member: enable
    - member index: 0
    - only battle group: enable
    Use that actor in your Set ORK Player node.
    Post edited by gamingislove on
  • edited March 2022
    I really appreciate you taking a look, it helped out a lot.

You mentioning Pokemon gave me an idea too. Making a new combatant and hiding them (as you would a Pokemon style) just for the Base movement seems to actually be working perfectly. It's mainly for 'social' interactions anyways that I want this user as the leader, so the combatant information doesn't matter and I can keep the actual combatant version still in the party at the appropriate spot.

Given all that, two more questions if I may:

1. Using the changes (prior to new Base combatant), I noticed that the follow leader Move AI doesn't seem to kick in when changing from Party Base scene to Main Field scene. Control of the leader is available, and sometimes running into the other members will cause them to walk to another member, but there isn't any following going on. However using the example project and not removing members when entering the base does kick in the move AI to follow the player as expected. I'm not sure what seems to be messing with them since in both cases we set the new player before changing scenes.

There aren't any errors in the console, and since it seems to work in one scene but not the other (that are effectively just copies of one another at the moment) I'm not sure what I might be missing.

Also interesting, if I turn on Auto-Respawn and run outside of their range to force a respawn by their target, they do begin following as expected.

Here is the move ai info pre-respawn if it helps any:

2. I do still think there's something funky going on with camera target swapping as mentioned in my earlier post too. Even if I explicitly tell it to change the camera position with a change camera position node passing in a target, the change target function is not being fired:

(The error in the console icons is a rewired race condition when exiting play mode, not related to the camera stuff)

Similarly, if I just remove / swap members without the above changes, the camera isn't swapping targets either. Instead it's just left as missing targets since the old combatant was deleted.

Notably, changing scenes (as above for entering/leaving) does fire it / set it as expected. It only seems to be an issue when it's within the same scene.
  • 1) Is your combatant's movement component set up correctly?
    If they respawn, they follow the correct combatant (you can also see their movement target when having their game object selected), so I assume they just can't move.

2) The Change Camera Position node doesn't change the target of the camera, it uses a camera position, which will be overruled by the camera control if it isn't blocked. The Camera Control Target node switches the camera target.
  • You are correct, it seems they weren't able to move. It must have been something with the NavMesh. Re-baking with a higher voxel density but without moving positions is causing it to now work as expected. Usually Unity will throw up some kind of warning if the NavMesh is actually on it, and it's just a flat plane so shouldn't have been stuck either. I wonder what it thought the issue was with the original one.

And that also makes sense, I was using the wrong node. Appreciate the help!

@gamingislove
    The player can interact with the item from a very long distance, after setting the interaction distance to 0, the OK button UI will not work.
  • @SK1
    An interaction distance of 0 will not work - either set it to -1 to don't limit it, or a value larger than 0.
  • edited March 2022
    @gamingislove Am I missing a toggle or setting to show the entire group when using a combatant selection for menu screens?

I have the Equipment Menu Screen entry set to use it's own combatant selection:

And said combatant selection does not have only battle group checked:

But the UI is only giving me a choice for the battle group (checked in scene view as well in case formatting was off, but only the 4 buttons are created):

Edit: Also interesting, is that the first time the selection is opened it defaults to index 1 rather than 0 for the button list. Any subsequent opening of the combatant selection without closing the full menu screen will correctly default to 0, but if you close the full menu then bring it back up and bring up the selection it again defaults to 1.

I didn't see this happening when I had a horizontal layout, so it might be vertical specific?
  • Hello !

I want to report a bug or maybe it is just something missing in the tutorial(3D RPG playground.
    If no start faction sympathy is set ,battle won't start .Try to add it in the tutorial when you got time :)

have a nice day
  • @Acissathar
    The limitation is coming from the menu screen that'll be opened. If that limits combatant changes to only battle group members you can only select battle group members.
    I'll check out the index thing - quick test with vertical layout group worked as expected (index 0 being selected).

@omeegaa
    Strange - starting a new project should already come with the 3 default factions and their sympathy set up correctly.
  • edited March 2022
    @gamingislove Am I just missing where that is set then? I can see the Combatant Settings under the menu, but nothing is checked, and the Equipment Menu Part doesn't seem to have a group restriction either?

I think the vertical layout thing might actually be related to Rewired for input. It seems to only happen if you hit down and then immediately bring up the combatant selection so I think it's still saying there is a "down" input happening and as such moving the index. A small action delay on the input manager seems to have stopped it from happening again.