Alright, I'm building an ARPG in the vein of Diablo/Path of Exile, and for the most part, I have it going. However, I have a few kinks I can't quite figure out.

1.) I want it to so that left click moves if you're clicking on terrain, but moves toward the enemy when they're clicked on. Can't quite figure out if it's a mix of control settings, or if I have to fit a schematic in there somewhere.

2.) If I turn on Turn Toward Raycast, for the Target Selection it turns the player character, but not in a reliable way. Should I instead just add in a "Turn toward target" node setup like in the tutorials? The main reason I didn't do that was because I want the ability to go off without a target (unless I set the ability to require a target), so I'm worried that if they have no target, the ability won't go off. What's the best method?

3.) Do you only get physics through the button control setup? I'm using the mouse setup, but I'd prefer to use collision damage dealers because then the hit effects go off where they hit on the body, correct?

4.) I'm not sure if it's a setting issue or what, but I'm having a hard time with the combo style setup from the 3d Action Tutorial. When I set it up that way in my game, it's funky. The animation for the first move goes off, but if you wait for the whole animation to finish, the timing has essentially expired for the next move in the chain. I want the player to be animation locked for about 80 or 90% of the duration and *then* the timer for the next movie starts. After the player has control again. I feel like Ork can do that, I'm just missing the right setting combo.

5.) Do Damage Dealers need to be on separate G.O's like in the tutorial? Or can I just put the component directly on the IK bone? Having an issue where no one can damage each other, but I read another forum post where you talked about a long enough wait between activating/deactivating dmg dealer, so I'll try that.

6.) In the 3d Action tutorial you add the activate/deactivate nodes in the schematic but never touch the Auto Activate button in the ability. Why is that? Do you have to add those nodes? Wasn't the point of that Auto Activate checkbox so that you didn't have to add those nodes to your schematic?

7.) Are their plans for a tutorial around the UI more? I'm trying to make a more modern menu with Ork and I'm a bit lost. New pages for Menu's always ask for a UI box, but I want to stack a lot of the info in one large window. I.E setting up a character stats window like Last Epoch. Is this where logs come in?

8.) What's the best way to make it so that a different prefab spawns for loot drops based on "rarity". The classic type of green/blue/purple/orange glow you see from items on the ground before you pick it up. Something that denotes how shiny the drop is.

9.) If I use the Initialization Schematic option for the Player Combatant, will that give the illusion of a "spawning" graphic for the player? I.E teleporting into the scene.

10.) For Combatants, on Conditional Prefabs, I can't figure out a way to just make it "random". I'd like to be able to put all the various color combinations of a monster in the conditional prefab and have it select it randomly. Or I should I be use a schematic in the Initialization slot to make that happen?

Just a few questions :D
Currently making: Real-Time Diablo-like ARPG
  • 1) Move to enemy to attack or just move there?
    If it's to attack, use a control map for that - the keys have settings to only use the action if the cursor is over a target and to use that target.
    If it's to move - make movement check only ground layers and do a normal move :)

2) I assume you're talking about the raycast targeting settings of abilities/items?
    If you want to rotate to where the cursor is pointing at, Rotate To Raycast is the only option for that - doing it in the action's schematics is used when the action is already executed. The player rotates to the position that was hit, i.e. make sure your layer setup is good, or it might hit some collider from something in your scene you don't even want to hit.
    An alternative would be to have the player generally rotate toward a raycast in the scene, e.g. with an Auto Machine that handles that in a schematic.

3) No, physics isn't limited to the button controls.

4) The next attack in a base attack combo is available based on the Available Time setting of the ability (Use Settings). The time starts when the execution of the previous attack ended, i.e. when the last schematic finished.

5) No, they can be wherever you want :)
    If they don't damage each other, it can either be due to not enough active time for them, or physics not registering the trigger/collision of the dealer and the zone.

6) Using the auto activation setup in the battle animation of an action will automatically activate the damage dealers on the user (including child objects, e.g. spawned equipment) for the duration of the schematic.
    The 3D action RPG tutorials don't use it, because the damage dealer should only be active for parts of the animation, e.g. to not damage when the staff is held for a short time at the animation's end.
    You can also use the Set Action auto damage dealer setup to only set the action and e.g. handle activation via animation events (see the Combatant Animation Events component).

7) For something like this, you can 'fake' a large window by using a UI background for the window and the individual UI boxes (e.g. without own background images) as usual.
    There are plans for different UI tutorials, including grid inventory.

8) You can implement a rarity system using item/equipment variables. They can be used by the item/equipment's prefab setup for conditional prefabs to spawn different prefabs.
    Though, I'd generally recommend to set up different items/equipment for rarity, as e.g. an item doesn't really have any difference based on rarity otherwise, unless you handle all of that via item variables.

9) I'd rather use the Spawn Schematic for that - that one's used each time the combatant is spawned. The init schematic is only used when the combatant is first initialized.

10) Use the Object Variable Settings in combination with conditional prefabs.
    Set them to Local Variables (i.e. they're unique for each instance of the combatant) and e.g. add a Int variable that sets a random value between 0 and whatever your number of avaialble variants is.
    The conditional prefabs can use variable conditions to check for them (the combatant's object variables are available as Local variable origin).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the detailed and patient response as always. It's nice to feel like I can ask questions and get real answers, regardless of if the issue is my own ignorance or not, haha.
  • edited February 2022
    Alright @gamingislove , so I've been struggling a few days from a few issues and I could use some help. I'm still having some issues trying to iron out the controls.

1.) I have Turn Toward Raycast checked but my player character won't turn when the attack is used. Is there another place in the editor for that that I missed?

2.) I'm trying to make it so that holding down the attack button makes it cycle through the moves instead of having to click it each time.

3.) I see you can do Root Motion with Button, how can I make it work with Mouse?

4.) It shows that you can make a targeted glow during selection, but I can't seem to get it to work.
    Post edited by Solkyoshiro on
  • 1) The Rotate To Raycast option will make the combatant look at the raycasted position by rotating the transform of the combatant's spawned prefab. There's not that much that can go wrong ... unless your prefab setup is in a way that prevents that from impacting the combatant, or something else is later overruling the rotation (e.g. controls).

2) Change the input key to Hold input handling and possibly set a Timeout.

3) Maybe with a NavMesh agent + root motion setup.

4) Battles > Target Settings has Target Highlight settings for this. You can e.g. use a cursor prefab or highlight the game object or HUD by changing colors.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 1.) The prefab is fine as if worked before. Then I turned it on. What other option would override that? It's driving me crazy.

2.) I did both of those, but it won't cycle through the base attacks with Hold. It just repeats the first move in the index over and over.

4.) That's what I did. A cursor prefab works, but it doesnt change the color of the combatants game object.

I'm in real time battle btw.
  • 1) Hm ... hard to say, generally, everything could do it, e.g. a schematic from an action of an enemy that's currently being used, etc.
    I'd need a Unity test project with your setup to check out what's going on. You probably know the drill here - remove the Library folder to reduce the size, zip it up and upload it somewhere and send me the link :)

2) Hm, can you give me more details on your setup (input key and base attack setup in the combatant)?

4) Did you enable Fade Children?
    What's the overall setup for the game object highlight (and the actual game objects that should be highlighted)?
    Might be that the used material/shader doesn't support it.