edited February 2022 in General Support
I am looking in to an idea of using this framework for a game (Inspired by OgreBattle) where you will control multiple parties in a kind of RTS fashion (Will still have battles like Ork and members each level up like Ork). I know I will need to add my own movement system where I select a unit and move it along a nav mesh and I've made rts style games from scratch before but I'm wondering if someone knows of a huge block in trying this for Ork that I'm not seeing yet or any other general advice or points to look in to first? I'm guessing some parts weren't meant to be multiples was thinking maybe if only one party was the main party I could use a separate faction for allies where they had multiple parties and it was fine unless the default faction can handle multiple parties just fine.

I was just going to go through the tutorial series but change movement using point to click as my first step.

Thanks for any help/advice/warnings.
Post edited by Zergleb on
  • ORK actually supports multiple player groups, though only one of them can be active at a time. You can create/switch groups via schematics (in ORK 3, events in ORK 2) or scripting - also, the regular group nodes to join/change group members also allow selecting which player group to use.
    I haven't really tried it with having 2 (or more) player groups in the same battle, though.

Theoretically it could be possible, but it might need a bit of custom work.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Thanks for the repsonse. That's great news to hear because I was planning on only one group being in a battle at a time. So roughly I send 2 groups to different areas in a map and one of them meets an enemy force first and they do battle then the second meets an enemy force and they do battle and it happens at separate times.

So it sounds like selecting the unit and then point and click movement might be the only large hurdle. That's much better than expected thank you.
  • edited February 2022
    Hmmm ... 2 separate battles is a different beast - there can only be one battle at a time.

However, you could just have it be one battle, though make sure to either disable the different battle ranges (and AI ranges) in Battles > Battle System > General Settings or make them large enough to cover both battles.
    Once the other combatants join in, they'll also be part of the battle, with use ranges for your actions you can limit them to only attack the targets in their area.

Click movement for your units could be handled by an ability. Using None target range (i.e. not targeting a single combatant or group) allows having raycast targeting to click a position - the position is available in the schematics animating your actions (as Starting Object), i.e. you can just move there via movement nodes (or setting a NavMesh agent's destination, etc.).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Oops I spoke confusingly. I'm basically copying OgreBattle directly on this portion. When a battle starts the overworld pauses and all that's happening is that one battle. So party 1 wins a battle and then shortly after party 2 will find an enemy and start a separate battle with a completely different enemy that also pauses the overworld. When battles finish the units gain EXP and then we are back at the overworld which is controlled like an RTS. So only one battle on the screen at a time and since the overworld is paused there is no room for interruption.

I do want to say thanks for taking the time to consider solutions for me. I apologize for not speaking well enough to be understood before I do see where I was confusing.
  • Ah, yeah ... that's naturally far easier :D