Hi,

We are building an educational RPG and we will be having several exposition views - cutscenes without any interaction. They could be like 5 minute long at times. We intend to implement them using Schematics - after some research we realized it would be lightweight compared to running a video inside Unity.

We want to allow the user to revisit certain points within the exposition. So, if an exposition is 5 minutes long, we have compose it using 3 schematics of 2 min, 2 min and 1 min, where each schematic represents a modular unit of information. If the user was unable to understand the second part, we want to allow them to snap to the starting of the 2nd schematic. So, we want to have milestones that user can access from the UI and snap to different points within the cutscene.

We would also like some mechanism to pause and replay (from where we are right now). Could you guide us a bit in regard to what would be the ideal way to implement this functionality.

P.S. In our app, exposition views are 2D and have little to no modification of Assets. We are going use Shaders for highlighting/transitions, Post-processing for vignette effect and will have audio running in the background. In worst case scenario, we might have an animation on the 2D sprites. So, I am assuming that returning the assets to their original state, should not be very difficult.

Thanks,
Blitzkreig
  • Hm, it might be easier to use Unity's timeline for this instead - while ORK/Makinom doesn't have nodes specific for it, you can easily call it's functionality using function nodes, e.g. Call Function.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I went through "Timeline" and it is incredibly powerful. I think it can be used for the functionality I desire. So, I think the only advantage that using Schematics for Cutscenes would be the direct linkage to Content Management System (Status, Inventory etc.). Am I right to view it that way ??
  • You can combine the two - e.g. make a prefab out of your timeline setup and use schematics to spawn the prefab, etc.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!