I'm trying to prototype the following behavior. I'm using the completed 3D RPG Playground project:
1) not showing the battle menu on start of turn.
without the battle menu being open:
2) highlight potential targets as I mouse over them.
3) select one or more targets.
4) moving the mouse over the ground I want to show a "place waypoint" cursor (or image on the ground).
5) during mouse over, use a command (right mouse button, keyboard, etc.) to bring up a (battle) menu.
6) alternatively, during mouse over, automatically show menu.
7) some of the commands may require targets to be selected (much like the tutorial project works).
8) after waypoint has been placed automatically show a menu.

I've finished the tutorials and looked at the documentation. What I'm trying to prototype seems outside of how much they can help.

I think I got #1 figured out but I don't know if I did it correctly (completely).
BTW, orkframework.com/guide/documentation/battles/battle-menus/#0-toc-title,
"Using a battle menu is optional – you can turn off automatically opening the battle menu...".
Would be nice to explain how to do it.

I've tried many options (including a schematic run at turn start) but no matter what I try I can't get anywhere. Some of the items above depend on other more basic items so I have to get the basics working first.

if schematics are involved (most likely), I'm not asking for anyone to write it for me. if you point out some of the more important nodes, examples, etc., I can take it from there.

Thank you,
MMalone
  • I don't think this is currently possible out of the box.

1) Added the information where this is set up (in the battle system's settings).

2) Target highlights are only available when selecting a target for an action.
    You can probably do something with Interaction Machine components, they have Mouse Enter and Mouse Exit start types that you can use to highlight and stop the highlight.

3) Check out Group Target Settings or Individual Target Settings in Battles > Target Settings.
    Unlike the regular target selection (for the target of an action), they let you target a combatant and automatically use actions on it. Group targets are for the whole group of the combatant, individual targets only for the combatant that selected it.

4) You'd probably need to write a custom cursor handling or use schematics for that.

5) Same as #1, calling the battle menu via input key is set up in the battle system's settings for the system you're using.

6) Battle menu can't be shown like that - but you could bring up a menu screen or choice dialogue when using interaction machines for cursor enter (see #2).

7) That's tricky ... when using control maps, that could be possible, but if you're using the battle menu and not have a group/individual target selected it'll bring up the regular target selection.

8) Same as #6.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • 3) how would those settings help if I have to use interaction machines?
    4) what would "custom cursor handling" look like (what would be involved)?
    6) any difference between battle menu and other menus as far as what can't put in them?
    7) control maps: I would use action type of schematic (or perhaps interaction machine) and go from there?

Would I even use the battle menu at all do you think? Kinda sounds like I have to create a custom selection/highlight system.

Thank you,
    MMalone
  • 3) The interaction machines are just for highlighting on cursor over. Group/individual targets are used to use actions on them without selecting a target after selecting the action.

4) Well, changing the cursor based on the conditions you need. E.g. for the 'place waypoint' cursor checking if the mouse is over the ground, game is in the correct state, etc.

6) Battle menus are for action - target selection, menu screens are for your usual player group handling and are limited to them.

7) No, rather using actions directly via control maps - they can require a target (e.g. group/individual target) to be available.

Creating a custom system for this is probably easier if your scripting skills are good enough. You can even integrate it with using the UI boxes, etc., check out the code for existing menus/dialogues to see how this is done.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I'll seriously consider the custom system. Would I be using any of ORK's selection/target system? If not, what ORK behavior/settings would I need to turn off so they do not interfere with my system?

I was investigating calling a schematic (to handle selection/highlighting/targeting) when a turn starts. Would this be a good place to have my selection system started?

Would using a grid make things easier? I was eventually going to prototype using a grid anyway.

Thank you,
    MMalone
  • It's probably easier to handle all of that in your custom system, though you can also e.g. use the group/individual targets to handle having a selected target if it's functionality is what you need.

Beside disabling auto call for the battle menu (and probably not using an input key to call it), there's no need to disable anything.

Turn start/end schematics can be used for this - e.g. calling your custom system via function nodes.

Battle grids can be helpful here, e.g. movement to the waypoint could just be a regular grid move command.
  • 1) How would I use group/individual targeting without the battle menu (I don't know if they are tied together)?
    2) I was thinking of picking a target before bringing up a menu of actions. How would I make use of group/individual targeting in this case?

I was experimenting with the battle menu (before I switch to a custom system), setting the target in a schematic then invoking the battle menu. When I pick an action (attack) target mode is still used. Any way to change this so the current target is used?

I tried using "Change Selected Target", "Change Last Target" and "Change Action Targets" (may not work in my case according the comments)

Thank you,
    MMalone
  • 1) E.g. using control maps to fire actions, or a shortcut HUD.
    Or via scripting, getting the combatant's target and use it in the ability/item/action.

2) Did you enable using group/individual targets in your battle menu? It's in the battle menu's Base Settings > Options.

If we're talking scripting, by getting the combatant's target.
    The individual target are accessed via the combatant's:
    combatant.SelectedTargets
    The group targets are accessed via:
    combatant.Group.SelectedTargets

combatant in both cases is the combatant you're using. SelectedTargets has different functions and properties to handle things and you can access the targets via an index (index 0 is the first target settings you added, etc.):
    Combatant target = combatant.SelectedTargets[index];