(I'm not sure if this has been discussed before. If so, please lead me to the thread)

I am using a turn-based battle system. I have abilities/status effects that deal damage over time or refresh/healing over time. Currently, the game implements the heal/poison damage on every turn of the affected combatant ONLY, which means that the next tick of the healing/damage will be on the next turn of that combatant (after everyone else has taken their turn).

Is there a way to change this so that it happens on EVERY combatant's turn?

Or, even better, is there a way to change the system so that 1 turn = 1 combatant turn, NOT 1 whole round of all combatant turns?

Thanks in advance!
  • Technically, there is already a separation between the overall battle turn and a combatant's turn - but status effects are combatant turn bound.
    Having an effect's changes used on every combatant's turn isn't possible out of the box.

However, you could use turn start/end schematics so do it. Instead of the changes being done in the status effect, they'd be done in the turn start or end schematic.
    In short, the schematic would:
    - get all combatants in battle via a Combatants type actor (In Battle set to Yes)
    - use a Select Combatant node using the actor and get all that have the status effect applied (via filters)
    - do changes on the selected combatants (i.e. selected data via the used data key)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I see. Thanks for the idea!
  • @gamingislove

Sorry, can you expound more on this? I'm a very new user and have very little idea about using schematics yet, so apologies in advance. While I understand the idea behind your suggestion very clearly, when I tried to execute it, there are gaps in what I know what to do:-

1.) Where would I plug the schematic in? I checked the Battle Settings, and cant find any where where I can plug in a schematic to be executed at every combatant's turn start/end.

2.) What node should I use after Select Combatant node that filters all combatants with the status effect? Can I just directly use a Change Status Value node?
  • 1) This is in Combatants > Combatants > General Settings in the Default Schematic Settings for all combatants, or each combatant optionally overriding them in their Base Settings > Schematic Settings.

2) Yes, you can directly use a Change Status Value node. Use Selected Data as the object and the data key you used to store the combatants in the Select Combatant node.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!