Yeah, sorry this isn't more polished but I have to prepare for a convention in a few weeks and my mind is a bit scattered! I've been fleshing out ideas for my game and trying to see how I'd do them in ORK and these are the ones that kept coming back to my mind.

What is the item storage called?
My game is a 2d SRPG and I'll be using Item Containers for each combatant based on their class & weapon. In games with individual inventories for characters, there's usually a big item container where all the stuff you can't carry gets sent... what's that called in ORK or how do I create it?

Equippable Skills
I'm creating a Skill system where you unlock them at Class levels, but you can only equip say 4 at one time. I've thought about using Equipment that are tied directly to the Abilities but that seemed wrong somehow. If I wanted something like this (like in Pokemon, where you can only have 4 moves equipped at one time) how would I do it?

Battle Cinematics
Like in Fire Emblem. I figured it might be done by adding a reusable Scene on top of the current Battlefield but I could wrap my head around how I would animate things, pass along the correct battle sprites or even when to calculate Skill chances and crit chances. It's a bit of a mixed-up question but any pointers that could help me figure out the order of things would be greatly appreciated.

These are a bit mixed, but I'm in the middle of a few things and my mind wants to CREATE!
Thanks in advance!
  • CardQueenGem said: What is the item storage called?
    My game is a 2d SRPG and I'll be using Item Containers for each combatant based on their class & weapon. In games with individual inventories for characters, there's usually a big item container where all the stuff you can't carry gets sent... what's that called in ORK or how do I create it?
    There isn't anything like that. If you use limited inventory space, once it's full you can no longer pick up new things.
    CardQueenGem said: Equippable Skills
    I'm creating a Skill system where you unlock them at Class levels, but you can only equip say 4 at one time. I've thought about using Equipment that are tied directly to the Abilities but that seemed wrong somehow. If I wanted something like this (like in Pokemon, where you can only have 4 moves equipped at one time) how would I do it?
    Beside using equipment abilities to actually equip stuff, you can e.g. use shortcut slots to assign abilities to and only display those shortcuts in your battle menu (or HUD).
    CardQueenGem said: Battle Cinematics
    Like in Fire Emblem. I figured it might be done by adding a reusable Scene on top of the current Battlefield but I could wrap my head around how I would animate things, pass along the correct battle sprites or even when to calculate Skill chances and crit chances. It's a bit of a mixed-up question but any pointers that could help me figure out the order of things would be greatly appreciated.
    That can be done via schematics - the details depend on what and when you want to do something.
    E.g. if it's part of a battle action, just put it in the schematic used to animate that action.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • CardQueenGem said: What is the item storage called?
    gamingislove said: There isn't anything like that. If you use limited inventory space, once it's full you can no longer pick up new things.
    I was thinking about this and I believe I have a potential solution. If you use the node Check Inventory Space before you add an item to a character's inventory, you can control what happens to that item once the character's inventory is full. Simply add the item to the inventory of a hidden character that holds any item. This would be your "big item container".
  • gamingislove said: Beside using equipment abilities to actually equip stuff, you can e.g. use shortcut slots to assign abilities to and only display those shortcuts in your battle menu (or HUD).
    I'll look into these right away. I had no idea they were so useful.
    gamingislove said: That can be done via schematics - the details depend on what and when you want to do something.
    E.g. if it's part of a battle action, just put it in the schematic used to animate that action.
    Ideally, I'd like the option to turn them on or off as a first step (which is why I'm fretting about when I'd do my calculations.
    The biggest issue I'm having is that I have a lot of passive & activation skills, with some activating before an individual combat encounter starts (like a critical hit), some activating after the first strike (like adding poison damage), some activating before the enemy gets to counter (like blocking), and some activating after the combat is resolved but before the window goes away.
    Dre788 said: I was thinking about this and I believe I have a potential solution. If you use the node Check Inventory Space before you add an item to a character's inventory, you can control what happens to that item once the character's inventory is full. Simply add the item to the inventory of a hidden character that holds any item. This would be your "big item container".
    That's a really smart idea! I'll try that out with what I've got but that's so clever! Thank you.

• Well, since you have full control over what happens when in your schematics, you can do all that :)
    You can also e.g. add custom options to an option menu (e.g. a toggle setting a global bool variable) and have stuff occur or not based on that by checking the variable.

Beside animating actions, you can also set up turn start/end schematics to add additional functionality to battles.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!