Hi!

I'm playing with attack modifiers and I was wondering how you could change a Flying Text depending on whether the target is weak or resistant to an element. For example when attacking an enemy weak to fire with a fire ability we could show: ''Weak! 38''

There's an Immunity Flying Text modifier, but I haven't seen anything of the sort for weakness and resistance.

I've also checked in Status Values > Health Points > UI Settings > Flying Text Settings. I wondered if we could change the Text shown based on a condition, but I haven't found anything.

If there's nothing of the sort to do what I want, I thought of another way to do this: trigger a HUD above the target that shows Weak or Resistant. I've been able to make it work through the schematics of abilities that deal damage: if the target is weak to the attack, it places a temporary status effect on the target that triggers the HUD. It works well when there's only one target, but it doesn't when there are many.

What is the best way to proceed?

Thank you!

• I don't think this is currently possible - while the attributes of modifiers can change the text color of flying texts, they can't change their content.

For your effect approach, you could use a status condition and only apply it if the target is weak against it (i.e. checking the value being above 100, or whatever you consider as weakness).
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • For your effect approach, you could use a status condition and only apply it if the target is weak against it (i.e. checking the value being above 100, or whatever you consider as weakness).
    Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I've been able to make it work for one target, but not when there are many. Here's my setup:

To the left, I check the starting object's resistance, and if it's weak, I apply a temporary status effect that activates the HUD ''Weak'' over the target. This setup works well, but only for one target.

To the right, I tried something to make it work for multiple targets. I try to check the combatants and store those who are weak into a Data Key. Then I try to apply the Weak status effect to those targets. However, it doesn't work at all. I probably did something very wrong there, I'm not used to play with Select Data yet.

How could I make my schematic work for several targets?

Thank you!
  • edited June 2022
    Ah, you're using nodes - yeah, they're using all targets.
    However, you can add status effect changes to your ability/item target changes and use conditions there. That way they're checked/changed per target.

If you want to do it in a schematic to easily reuse it on multiple actions, you can first use the Select Combatant node to store all targets into selected data and use the Select Selected Data node to get them one by one and cycle through them (i.e. do your stuff and connect back to the Select Selected Data node).
    Post edited by gamingislove on
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • Oh good point, it's much simpler to add a temporary status effect that is conditional to the attack attribute of the target. Didn't think of that!

So yeah, I just apply the Weak status effect to show a flying text over the target, then I remove that status effect through the schematic of the ability. Much simpler that way!

And thank you for the explanation on how to do this with the nodes. I understand better how to play with the Selected Data with multiple targets.

Thank you :)
  • Next update will add flying text overrides to attack modifiers - you'll be able to define custom flying texts for a defined status value for attributes that are recognized as strength, weakness or recovery.
  • Oooh that's awesome! Thanks :)